WWE is no longer a wrestling company, according to them

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest, I don't care if they go and call it "Homosexual Mat-Based Lycra Entertainment" or something. If the product is good then I'll watch it. The "name" of the product is the least of my worries.

Well you're obviously not a real wrestling fan then.

And why's that then?

To be honest, I don't care if they go and call it "Homosexual Mat-Based Lycra Entertainment" or something. If the product is good then I'll watch it. The "name" of the product is the least of my worries.

Well you're obviously not a real wrestling fan then.

And why's that then?

Because Vince McMahon's corporate branding nonsense disrespects our great sport, and if you were a real wrestling fan you would understand the importance and significance of that.

• Paid Members
I know from personal experience that generally WWE don't deal with the wrestling media but are quite happy to deal with other outlets. Think that says it all really.

There is no "wrestling media." There are websites and blogs written by people who already watch and moan about WWE, exclusively read by people who already watch and moan about WWE. It would be arse-backwards stupid for WWE to expend any effort to publicise itself to us. That'd be as pointless as WWE shooting itself in the foot by being stupid about what a mainstream source calls the genre in an article.

While ratings have been stronger recently, and it looks like Mania should do pretty well, the overall decline in ratings and PPV buys over the last number of years suggests otherwise. Customer retention should never be overlooked by companies, especially not ones who deal in entertainment.

While ratings have been stronger recently, and it looks like Mania should do pretty well, the overall decline in ratings and PPV buys over the last number of years suggests otherwise. Customer retention should never be overlooked by companies, especially not ones who deal in entertainment.

I don't think sending John Cena to do interviews with Rajah and Wrestlezone is going to have any effect on that, like.

Because Vince McMahon's corporate branding nonsense disrespects our great sport, and if you were a real wrestling fan you would understand the importance and significance of that.

Are you being serious? Can't quite tell, as it's difficult online. I won't bother responding properly if you're not.

• Paid Members

I don't think sending John Cena to do interviews with Rajah and Wrestlezone is going to have any effect on that, like.

Because 'any effort' = that. Well done.

Are you being serious? Can't quite tell, as it's difficult online. I won't bother responding properly if you're not.

It's serious business. But no, I'm being more sarcastic than that bloke who got locked in the hamper on Father Ted.

Because 'any effort' = that. Well done.

I'm sorry you got offended by context. But go on then, how should WWE be publicising itself through the newzsites?

Pro Wrestling Illustrated could be seen as wrestling media. They're kayfabe and pro-WWE. I've not read much of it so I'm not necessarily suggesting it but you're trying to narrow someone's mention of wrestling media to 'newz sites'.

As for Triple H, he's a fan of AWA. He also wrestles an old school influenced style. That information suggests he may incorporate more old school wrestling values from the likes of AWA (ie more focus on wrestling matches, less focus on micro-management and appealing to share holders if he can do so). You're being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Pro Wrestling Illustrated could be seen as wrestling media. They're kayfabe and pro-WWE. I've not read much of it so I'm not necessarily suggesting it but you're trying to narrow someone's mention of wrestling media to 'newz sites'.

Think about what you're saying. Do you seriously think there is an untapped market of PWI readers that don't follow WWE?

As for Triple H, he's a fan of AWA. He also wrestles an old school influenced style. That information suggests he may incorporate more old school wrestling values from the likes of AWA (ie more focus on wrestling matches, less focus on micro-management and appealing to share holders if he can do so). You're being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

That's all he's done in the last few pages of this thread, and it's pretty fucking mong-like, for Mr Best Poster On The UKFF.

Denying that WWE is a Pro Wrestling Entertainment show is fucking mental. The entire planet knows it as "Wrestling" and it's a pointless waste of time to say otherwise.

People saying "maybe Triple H will make it a more wrestling based product" is also a perfectly reasonable thing to wonder.

Nobody is suggesting that he might suddenly make WWE "not entertaining" because "wrestling isn't entertainment". Only a moron or someone looking for a stupid argument would think that. It clearly means that people wonder whether Triple H might move away from the guest host nonsense, the ban on words like "wrestler" and feature more use of old school wrestling angles and ideas that used to draw fans in so well back in the day.

They have moved away from the 'guest host' nonsense already. Wrestlemania has always been linked to celebrities.

As for 'old school wrestling angles' - surely they still rely on these? Some of the stuff that is used today has been going on for years!

I believe it still remains 'wrestling' at the heart of it. It's just Vince's stubbornness in the wording and presentation.

I was just throwing an example of wrestling media out there that's not 'news sitez'.

And yet you chose a stupid one, because you've not realised that all and any "wrestling media" is something that leeches off WWE's existing fanbase. WWE pursuing Apter, Keller, Scherer and co to increase the company's exposure would be an absolute fool's errand.

If we're talking on an untapped market, you're right in that WWE would be better off focussing on their own magazines.

What?

That's all he's done in the last few pages of this thread, and it's pretty fucking mong-like, for Mr Best Poster On The UKFF.

I love it when the perverts get all butthurt about that. Maybe if you took a step away from the hivemind silliness, you'd stand out more and be in with a shout.

• Paid Members

It is a weird one but, i do understand it and the wanting to separate themselves from the term to an extent. If there was a good word for it i wouldn't actually be too bothered if it was to change. Although WWE Pro-Wrestling obviously spawned from actual catch-style wrestling, what it is today is an entirely different animal. It's long been accepted and presented as such that it's not a genuine combative sport. It is a Spectacle combining elements of athletic, combat sport and theatrical performance. But there's no all-encompassing word that accurately describes that and fits or works. I think it would be great if there was because it probably shouldn't really be called wrestling now but i wouldn't know what a good title would be.

It's such a unique thing, it just originated from wrestling but what it is today (with WWE anyway) is big hybrid of wrestling/ theatrical performance/stuntshows/soap opera. It's as much about those other aspects as it is wrestling.

Archived