WWE is no longer a wrestling company, according to them

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
EDIT: This page may be of interest to some of you wondering about how WWE perceive and describe themselves.

The most interesting statistic from that page is that the largest percentage (although not by much, 28.7%) of viewers are aged 50+ years old!

World Wide Entertainment by 2012.

I called it here first folks.

There's not going to be a 2012, with all that super-moon stuff yesterday and that movie and whatnot ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will be interesting to see what actually happens when HHH and Steph take over. Will Vince ever actually step that far back and give them total control ? I think if they do that (like many others here) the traditionalist in HHH will come to the fore and we will start getting back to more of a wrestling product. I actually wonder whether there could be some mileage in this as an angle when Vince decides he's ready to step down ? Maybe (in a storyline) HHH will take a stance against Vince and the entertainment side of WWE and it could lead to a Mania match up with the compnay at stake ??

What does "more of a wrestling product" mean? Triple H wasn't a star in Verne Gagne's AWA, for fuck's sake. He rose to prominence during the attitude era. If and when he does take over WWE, he's not going to start aiming it at Fin Martin and that ilk.

I don't have anything against naming them superstars and divas, it really still makes them sound larger than life and bigger than 'wrestlers', I'm sure wwf superstars the term was used since 99 or so. The only people who call moves these days are Matt Stryker, JR and CMPunk and that tells you something

Whatever. Take away wrestling from WWE and what do you basically have? I don't think WWE is quite as diverse as global media companies such as News Corp. or Time Warner or Viacom, but what do I know.

This.

Can't believe she asked them to pull an article promoting the company over them using the term wrestling.

• Paid Members

The self-loathing of WWE is terrific for moments like this. I don't mind them calling themselves 'entertainments' (as it's accurate) or other buzz words but to deny you are wrestling is mental. Wrestling was always seen as low brow but got a proper shit image during the Attitude-era, TV networks wouldn't touch it for five years. So Vince is more to blame than anyone.

I don't have anything against naming them superstars and divas, it really still makes them sound larger than life and bigger than 'wrestlers', I'm sure wwf superstars the term was used since 99 or so. The only people who call moves these days are Matt Stryker, JR and CMPunk and that tells you something

And Scott Stanford!

It will be interesting to see what actually happens when HHH and Steph take over. Will Vince ever actually step that far back and give them total control ? I think if they do that (like many others here) the traditionalist in HHH will come to the fore and we will start getting back to more of a wrestling product. I actually wonder whether there could be some mileage in this as an angle when Vince decides he's ready to step down ? Maybe (in a storyline) HHH will take a stance against Vince and the entertainment side of WWE and it could lead to a Mania match up with the compnay at stake ??

What does "more of a wrestling product" mean? Triple H wasn't a star in Verne Gagne's AWA, for fuck's sake. He rose to prominence during the attitude era. If and when he does take over WWE, he's not going to start aiming it at Fin Martin and that ilk.

More matches, less pointless vignettes, more emphasis on Wrestlers not Superstars or Divas, less crappy films that struggle to make money, no guest hosts (unless it serves a purpose for awrestling storyline, wrestlers and former wrestlers involved more in the creative process and not former Hollywood writers.

I'm not saying we'll see World Of Sport every week, but I think the word Wrestling will not be such a dirty word when HHH takes the reigns and we will see less of the entertainment and more of the wrestling.

More matches, less pointless vignettes, more emphasis on Wrestlers not Superstars or Divas,

Which company/era from the present or past are you expecting/hoping HHH's WWE will be most like?

wrestlers and former wrestlers involved more in the creative process and not former Hollywood writers.

Yes because everybody loved Triple H being on the creative team while he was world champion. Oh well, maybe they'll put a big, fat, jive-talking former NWA champion (who definitely didn't run lesser wrestling companies into the ground with his shit booking) or one of the Freebirds on the writing teams one day in the distant future. Until then, we can take solace in the fact that the boss of the creative team is a former Women's champ.

I'm not saying we'll see World Of Sport every week, but I think the word Wrestling will not be such a dirty word when HHH takes the reigns and we will see less of the entertainment and more of the wrestling.

"The wrestling" is meant to be entertainment. If you don't like being entertained, you shouldn't be watching wrestling (or anything on telly) in the first place. Anyone who doesn't want wrestling to be entertaining is too pigshit-thick to be listened to.

I know from personal experience that generally WWE don't deal with the wrestling media but are quite happy to deal with other outlets. Think that says it all really.

There is no "wrestling media." There are websites and blogs written by people who already watch and moan about WWE, exclusively read by people who already watch and moan about WWE. It would be arse-backwards stupid for WWE to expend any effort to publicise itself to us. That'd be as pointless as WWE shooting itself in the foot by being stupid about what a mainstream source calls the genre in an article.

To be honest, I don't care if they go and call it "Homosexual Mat-Based Lycra Entertainment" or something. If the product is good then I'll watch it. The "name" of the product is the least of my worries.

Though obviously I hope they don't. That'll be awkward.

To be honest, I don't care if they go and call it "Homosexual Mat-Based Lycra Entertainment" or something. If the product is good then I'll watch it. The "name" of the product is the least of my worries.

Well you're obviously not a real wrestling fan then.

Archived