WWE is no longer a wrestling company, according to them

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Mark Madden and Scott Hudson would be wrestling at Starrcade with Goldberg as the special ref, with Hudson bringing out Madden's Mam to say she was embarrassed by him for heel heat. Reno would be in Hudson's corner and would have Rolled the Dice on Mike Tenay for that extra bit of spice for the match.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It is utterly bizarre how Vince feels that "wrestling" is such a dirty word. It'll be interesting to see whether HHH continues with the "sports entertainment" line when he takes over on Vince's passing, or whether the traditionalist in him brings back "wrestling".

Mark Madden and Scott Hudson would be wrestling at Starrcade with Goldberg as the special ref, with Hudson bringing out Madden's Mam to say she was embarrassed by him for heel heat. Reno would be in Hudson's corner and would have Rolled the Dice on Mike Tenay for that extra bit of spice for the match.

I heart this mental image. Brilliant.

Entertainments. That is beautiful.

It is utterly bizarre how Vince feels that "wrestling" is such a dirty word. It'll be interesting to see whether HHH continues with the "sports entertainment" line when he takes over on Vince's passing, or whether the traditionalist in him brings back "wrestling".

Well, HHH likes wrestling and doesn't seem to be ashamed to be in it so I'm hoping he'll drop it.

That's the one positive thing I always dwell upon when thinking of a possible Triple H lead creative. The guy loves his wrestling.

Vince & Dunn's pet peeve with the term 'wrestling' has indeed been in effect for years but has only really come into heavy force since - and I know it's hard to tell if we are strictly in an 'era' these days - the 2005 and onwards days of 'mainstream', glitzy WWE. It's my biggest issue with the company I'm a complete fanboy for and I just cannot fathom it. Vince manages to simultaneously appear as a smart business man and a complete fucking clown. It's WRESTLING. It always will be. It's entertainment through the medium of wrestling.

It's just mind bogglingly insane stuff for a public company to so explicitly deny what they clearly are despite the common perception that cannot be changed within their entire fanbase. And the ironic thing is that WWE found their easiest path to mainstream America during the Attitude Era when they were - by christ - more concerned with booking compelling, must see wrestling shows rather than 'diversifying the global brand'. They are - raking it in though they are - still a far less potent force now than they were twelve years ago when it was about as upmarket as the Godfather pimpin' hoes nationwide.

The WWF was calling itself sports-entertainment long before the newzletters told you to hate the term, kids.

Yeah, we were all told to hate it, and then we started.

It's not like it's fucking ridiculous or anything.

I suppose we are all fapping over the word 'wrestling' too, right?

The WWF was calling itself sports-entertainment long before the newzletters told you to hate the term, kids.

Why is it more ridiculous in 2011 than it was in the 1980s or 1990s?

• Moderators
It is utterly bizarre how Vince feels that "wrestling" is such a dirty word.

It's not Vince, it's the media at large. Wrestling is pikey carny shite. I can enjoy sports entertainment style wrestling with a couple of friends over a beer, or with my nephews. And I prefer it far more that way.

It is utterly bizarre how Vince feels that "wrestling" is such a dirty word.

It's not Vince, it's the media at large. Wrestling is pikey carny shite. I can enjoy sports entertainment style wrestling with a couple of friends over a beer, or with my nephews. And I prefer it far more that way.

Yeah, but weren't the "media" the ones who called it wrestling and who were saying they wouldn't change what they wrote? Even they seemed to think the whole thing was a bit ridiculous.

Why is it more ridiculous in 2011 than it was in the 1980s or 1990s?

It's the amount of silly new terms they've come up with (and ram down our throats) to replace perfectly understandable and normal phrases and words they don't like. They didn't o that in the 80s or most of the 90s. Sure, Vince referred to it in the press as Sports Entertainment, and his guys as Superstars, but it wasn't plastered all over the TV product.

Wrestling fans are now The WWE Universe.

Wrestlers absolutely HAVE to be called Superstars. Wrestler is a bad word.

Divas are just Divas, not female wrestlers. Wrestler = bad.

Cole calls practically everything he can get away with a "throw".

If I'm tuning in to a show that is based entirely around Pro Wrestling, I'm probably fine with calling them wrestlers, and acknowledging that I am watching wrestling.

When it's gotten to the point where they turn down publicity because normal non-wrestling people refuse to use their silly, nonsensical phrases, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Yeah, but WWF/E weren't so vehemetely against the term "wrestling" either at that time. The terms would co-exist peacefully, JR and King would always use the term "wrestling" "belts" etc because they were old school, while Cole and Tazz would say "sports entertainment" and sound like total spanners.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens when HHH and Steph take over. Will Vince ever actually step that far back and give them total control ? I think if they do that (like many others here) the traditionalist in HHH will come to the fore and we will start getting back to more of a wrestling product. I actually wonder whether there could be some mileage in this as an angle when Vince decides he's ready to step down ? Maybe (in a storyline) HHH will take a stance against Vince and the entertainment side of WWE and it could lead to a Mania match up with the compnay at stake ??

Archived