RIP

M-Dudz

• Awards Moderator

Bugger. I'm not in to much of that kind of stuff, but I nearly wore my Regulate cassette single out when I was in 4th year. Very fond memories of that song.

Speaking of which, it seems an apt time to share the Wiki entry for that song:

Regulate

On a cool, clear night (typical to Southern California) Warren G travels through his neighborhood, searching for women with whom he might initiate sexual intercourse. He has chosen to engage in this pursuit alone.[5]

Nate Dogg, having just arrived in the east side of Long Beach, seeks Warren. On his way to find Warren, Nate passes a car full of women who are excited to see him. Regardless, he insists to the women that there is no cause for excitement.

Warren makes a left turn at 21st Street and Lewis Ave, in the East Hill/Salt Lake neighborhood[6], where he sees a group of young men enjoying a game of dice together. He parks his car and greets them. He is excited to find people to play with, but to his chagrin, he discovers they intend to relieve him of his material possessions. Once the hopeful robbers reveal their firearms, Warren realizes he is in a less than favorable predicament.

Meanwhile, Nate passes the women, as they are low on his list of priorities. His primary concern is locating Warren. After curtly casting away the strumpets (whose interest in Nate was such that they crashed their automobile), he serendipitously stumbles upon his friend, Warren G, being held up by the young miscreants.

Warren, unaware that Nate is surreptitiously observing the scene unfold, is in disbelief that he is being robbed. The perpetrators have taken jewelry and a Rolex Watch from Warren, who is so incredulous that he asks what else the robbers intend to steal. This is most likely a rhetorical question.

Observing these unfortunate proceedings, Nate realizes that he may have to use his firearm to deliver his friend from harm.

The tension crescendos as the robbers point their guns to Warren's head. Warren senses the gravity of his situation. He cannot believe the events unfolding could happen in his own neighborhood. As he imagines himself making a fantastical escape, he catches a glimpse of his friend, Nate.

Nate has seventeen cartridges (sixteen residing in the pistol's magazine, with a solitary round placed in the chamber and ready to be fired) to expend on the group of robbers. Afterward, he generously shares the credit for neutralizing the situation with Warren, though it is clear that Nate did all of the difficult work. Putting congratulations aside, Nate quickly reminds himself that he has committed multiple homicides to save Warren before letting his friend know that there are females nearby if he wishes to fornicate with them.

Warren recalls that it was the promise of copulation that coaxed him away from his previous activities, and is thankful that Nate knows a way to satisfy these urges. Nate quickly finds the women who earlier crashed their car on Nate's account. He remarks to one that he is fond of her physical appeal. The woman, impressed by Nate's singing ability, asks that he and Warren allow her and her friends to share transportation. Soon, both friends are driving with automobiles full of women to the East Side Motel, presumably to consummate their flirtation in an orgy.

The third verse is more expository, with Warren and Nate explaining their G Funk musical style. Warren displays his bravado by daring anyone to approach the style. There follows a brief discussion of the genre's musicological features, with special care taken to point out that in said milieu the rhythm is not in fact the rhythm, as one might assume, but actually the bass. Similarly the bass serves a purpose closer to that which the treble would in more traditional musical forms. Nate displays his bravado by claiming that individuals with equivalent knowledge could not even attempt to approach his level of lyrical mastery. Nate goes on to note that if any third party smokes as he does, they would find themselves in a state of intoxication almost daily (from Nate's other works, it can be inferred that the substance referenced is marijuana[7]). Nate concludes his delineation of the night by issuing a threat to "busters," suggesting that he and Warren will further "regulate" any potential incidents in the future (presumably by engaging their antagonists with small arms fire).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Sad news.. The news that he was ill had passed me by so this is quite a surprise.

:(

Grew up listening to Death Row and loved his cameo appearances/hooks in songs like Aint No Fun, How long will they mourn me, All about U and his post Death Row days songs like Oh No, Ooh Wee, Area Codes.

His stuff with Tha Dogg Pound was amazing - "I don't like to dream about gettin paid" was brilliant and of course Regulate with Warren G.

Just listened to that track. It's sweet as... What else is good that I should check out?

Wouldn't mind some recommendations in general of his best guest spots and I don't think I've ever heard a solo track of his from anyone who's got em..? I'm familiar with all his most famous guest spots but I'm sure ther are some other more obscure gems out there..

Warren G's "I shot the Sherriff" single is one of the few cd singles I ever bought, and the only reason I bought it is cos it had Regulate on it.

Listening to Oh No on youtube earlier has really made me want to dig out those Lyricists Lounge albums...

Still think Warren G's hybrid with Sissel on Prince Igor was his best piece.

Shame to hear about Nate, never really got into his solo work. His backup on other artist's tracks however improved songs, instead of just adding to them. Imagine Last Episode without his end piece or Bitch Please II without his voice in the chorus?

• Paid Members

Those lyricist lounge albums are great. Absolutely love "The Grimey Way" by Big Noyd off volume 2.

Nate did his best to make Shade Sheist not be the worst thing of all time with a couple of hooks, so extra credit for that. I think everyone's heard "Where I wanna be", but "Cali Disease" has a super-smooth hook as well.

Xzibit feat. Nate Dogg "Been a long time" from "Restless".

WC feat. Nate Dogg "The Streets".

When I get back from work later I'm going to be hitting this thread hard and providing Youtube links and such.

Slightly related fun fact - the 'G' in Warren G stands for 'gusset'.

I may have the lyrics wrong but I think the line is:

"Call me Dub-A, Double-R E, N be the end, last letter be the G. G be for Griffin, Smith n', like Wesson, niggas that be 'fessin', I'm crushin' yo whole chest in."- "Gangster Love" from I Want It All.

I could never grasp how Prince Igor and What's Love Got To Do With It were bigger hits in the UK than Regulate.

• Paid Members

Apologies for some super-obvious picks. Don't have as much time as I thought I would, so this is just stuff that springs to mind when I think of glorious Nate hooks:

Tupac: All about u

Nate Dogg: I got love

Jadakiss feat. Nate Dogg: Kiss is spittin. Poor man's regulate, though Nate singing the original hook from the sample is so smoooooth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZvyvG-k_k

Snoop/Nate/Kurupt/Warren G: Ain't no fun

WC/Snoop/Nate: The Streets

Nate Dogg ft. Nas: The Good Life

Mos Def/Pharoahe Monch/Nate: Oh no

Warren G feat. Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg: The Game don't wait:

Shade Sheist (MAN he was shit) saved by. Nate Dogg: Cali Diseaz

Nate Dogg (yes, just Nate Dogg): Bag O' Weed

Nate Dogg: Music and me

Jadakiss feat. Nate Dogg: Time's up

Snoop Dogg/MC Ren/Lady of Rage/Ice Cube/Nate Dogg: Set it off

Bitch Please