Just revisted Old school ECW

quote the raven

"Conned" is the wrong word. The fact is that TPE really were amongst the very best tag teams in the world for a while, because everyone who watched them wanted to watch more of them and would willingly spend large amounts of money on doing just that. Just because Johnny Grunge was a pretty shaky worker, technically, doesn't mean he didn't have a place. I mean, Abby and Sheik weren't anything when it comes to workrate, but they're all-time legends whose work is revered. Johnny Grunge was not much different - formula matches, shortcuts galore, blood every night. But if it worked, it worked.

The same goes for a lot of guys on that roster. Heyman maximised pretty much every bit of talent available to him. How many other promotions can say that? It's not a "con" to present your guys in the very best way possible.

• Paid Members
I've just watched the first three PPVs and they're not that bad. Sure, there's some shit. Sabu vs. The Sandman from November 2 Remember 1997 is absolutely horrifying, as is anything involving New Jack. But most of the stuff is just great fun.

Once they worked out the best way to use New Jack i really enjoyed watching him.

This, for example......

In the context of an actual match though he is complete dogshit.

Much in the same way that I loved Sid Vicious occasional ECW appearances.

Dreamer DDTs Raven.......30 seconds after hes up and hitting tommy with a chair.

In defence of that spot, I always justified that (and it did happen a lot with Dreamer & Raven both doing it & receiving it at various times) by thinking the move stunned the person taking it rather than knocked them out.

Like you're hit with a DDT and if the guy pins you straight away you could be thinking "Ow, my fucking head hurts" and the match is over, but given a few seconds/minutes you can pull yourself together and keep fighting.

I guess the other thing for me is that watching all the recklessness and unprotected head shots, I realise now that it wasn't hardcore, it was just stupid.

Correction, hardcore and stupid.

There has been a lot more brutal matches before and since ECW. A few of the New Jack incidents and Sabu

I've just watched the first three PPVs and they're not that bad. Sure, there's some shit. Sabu vs. The Sandman from November 2 Remember 1997 is absolutely horrifying, as is anything involving New Jack. But most of the stuff is just great fun.

Once they worked out the best way to use New Jack i really enjoyed watching him.

This, for example......

New Jack certainly had his good points, no doubt there. The guy just had a presence that you can't teach and his promos were ALWAYS entertaining. I suppose going back and watching him for a second time doesn't help the case, and the music playing through his matches isn't quite as cool as it once was. Especially since I actually realised I really don't like it.

Archived