RVD

Checkmate

All those claims of his that WWE watered him down and stopped him being as good as he could have been seem a joke now. Away from WWE he's shown thats bullshit. In hindsight he might as well have said 'Waaah waaah waaaah WWE have made me stop being a sloppy careless twat and taken away my mic time cause I'm a boring bastard most of the time'

A few years ago, after Angle turned up in TNA, RVD was top of my wishlist for people who'd be brill in TNA. I could see great matches with Daniels, Styles, Joe, Jarrett, Angle of course, Abyss maybe, and Sting.

But he has been shit, hasn't he? He stalls an immense amount, making his matches seem really fake. He's down to about 5 or 6 spots now, and just throws a few kicks otherwise. His character has been reduced to a whinger, and, well, he's a tube.

If he doesn't want to be in TNA, then he should go get a decent deal with WWE, or bog off to the Indies.

• Paid Members
If he doesn't want to be in TNA, then he should go get a decent deal with WWE, or bog off to the Indies.

Well.. no, because im guessing he's kicking around 40, he has nursed his wife from Cancer, he has been top of ECW and was pretty high up in WWE, now he is being paid a shit load to be lurking at the top of TNA, whilst getting paid for doing fuck all.

I think he has got it spot on really, he is obviously loving the lighter work sched' for the money he is on, why on earth would he want to go back to WWE and constantly be on the road away from his family.

For a fan wanting to see RVD perform like he did in 97-2006, then its never going to happen unkess you stick an old ECW-WWE dvd on. I agree that yes, its always good to see performers going all out, but theres plenty of youngsters doing that in TNA, RVD has obviously thought 'fuck it, i dont need too'.

• Paid Members

Yeah completely mate, im not saying i think having that lax approach is right, because like you say, its shit for us fans. But in reality, hes getting older, he cant keep the pace and ability he once had, lots of younger guys arguably do a similar style 'much better', so for him, whats the point in wrecking his body anymore.

Hes being paid a mint to do exactly what he is doing now (not very much) and at this point in his life, its pretty understandable.

Id still prefer to watch him over some of the shite advertised on wrestlemania though in fairess. Just my opinion, and im not a TNA or WWE fan really.

I don't mean for this to come across as sounding like a cheap knock on TNA, but I'm going to use RVD in the company as an example of yet another reason why WWE is perceived (and is) head and shoulders above TNA, both in terms of their standing in the pro wrestling market and how fans view them.

Back when Rob Van Dam was in WWE, he would have to put in the best performance he could each and every night. The WWE performers are made to perform at their best each time they go out there, because anything less looks nothing more than second-rate. I remember when RVD was in WWE and AJ Styles was in TNA being pushed as the man there, and I always used to think of how much of a dream match that it would be if it could have taken place.

Fast forward to the present day, and I don't have the faintest idea of whether they have ever squared off (I'm sure they have, I wouldn't know when/where or the outcome). Actually, I lie - I would know where it took place.

RVD is another shining example of how much stock performers loose from being in TNA once they're away from the shiny WWE machine. Every few weeks, we'll hear of another announcement where TNA has made a 'landmark' signing, getting another former-WWE wrestler onto their roster. Yet another guy who made a name for themselves in WWE, by being made to work for every penny of their pay cheques, who are made to come across as looking like superstars and are now in TNA picking up a healthy sized payroll for minimal effort.

Now I'm not condemning the wrestlers themselves for wanting to do this, that would be ridiculous. Nor am I endorsing WWE's vigorous work schedule, I'm just emphasising the fact that TNA need to desperately do something to prevent guys like RVD, Jeff Hardy, Bobby Lashley et al from all of a sudden being perceived as second-rate guys due to their involvement with the company.

Ric Flair's stock took a bigger hit from going from ROH to TNA than it did from WWE to ROH. At least in Ring of Honor, he looked like he was a legend of the sport and an all-time great trying to give a helping hand to a small company. Now, he looks like a joke.

• Paid Members

I dont see a difference in RVD's WWE or TNA performances. He's never been a Shawn Michaels type, who can have good matches with anyone. And he's always done the same act and moves his whole career. I think he's just the same old Van Dam. Overrated with matches filled with business exposing spots and a lack of ring psycology and selling. Its just that he was quite popular in WWE. Now he's just another name in the crowd.

• Moderators
hate that excuse for him bein shite on tv

Yeah. I don't think it's fair to expect him to fly around like he did when he was a young man. Presumably TNA wouldn't expect that either. But the reason they're paying him big bucks is for his star power, so he should be using that position make younger people look good.

Problem is he's a bit rubbish. He's not a very good wrestler at all. He was fun in ECW because he was well booked. Fun in WWE because that character carried over with zero development but it was already over so it didn't matter, and he had a pretty unique moveset.

How many good promos can you remember him having delivered? The one at ONS is the only thing that really springs to mind..

Archived