Create some tag teams with the WWE lot stuck in limbo

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
Zack Ryder and Tyson Kidd could pair up. I'd like to see them do a gimmick where Zack Ryder is trying to find him a personality, so he takes him out and dresses the boring bastard up in the whackiest clothes and tries to get him to open up a bit, but with no luck. Just basically make Tyson Kid's lack of personality and charisma a gimmick in itself. I think that would get over. It would be like when Nash was doing the Paparazzi gimmick and his sheer hilarity made the boring fuckers in the X Division look interesting.

Or like Head Cheese.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Zack Ryder and Tyson Kidd could pair up. I'd like to see them do a gimmick where Zack Ryder is trying to find him a personality, so he takes him out and dresses the boring bastard up in the whackiest clothes and tries to get him to open up a bit, but with no luck. Just basically make Tyson Kid's lack of personality and charisma a gimmick in itself. I think that would get over. It would be like when Nash was doing the Paparazzi gimmick and his sheer hilarity made the boring fuckers in the X Division look interesting.

Or like Head Cheese.

Or like two pages ago.

• Paid Members
I've gone on enough about it before, but I thought Mysterio and Evan Bourne were a great team, really worth watching - they were pretty over, too.

I think there's mileage in a Show/Khali team too.

I agree with both of these in theory, but it's difficult. Show and Mysterio are two of the biggest stars in wrestling, and having the tag belts around the top stars isn't perfect. The issue is always going to be A) the teams wouldn't be long-lived, and B) there's always going to be a reluctance to have a permanent team of lower-carders beat them unless there is all manner of shenanigans involved. Or if the superteam does lose to the lower team, the value of the titles and division drops off a cliff, like it did when the Hart Dynasty won them.

Plus of those four, Evan Bourne's the only one that's in danger of being stuck in limbo. Khali's too fucked to appear regularly, and Show and Rey always have stuff going on.

True, though I think Rey's probably the only main eventer in existence who can lose to a lower-carder and not lose much by it. But I get what you mean.

Truth be told, the only thing I'd particularly want to see involving a Khali/Show tag-team would be a programme with the Brothers of Destruction - I think that's got "spectacle" written all over it.

I don't understand why Vince has such a downer on tag teams, especially there are so many people on the roster doing next to nothing. The recent Cena/Miz/Corre tag title match on Raw showed that people will care about teams if they're given a reason to. I know Vince's priority is making money but are tag teams really that unmarketable in the "WWE Universe"?

This is what confuses me. Surely all the great teams that were around in the late eighties /early nineties made Vince a ton of money and were great draws to the live shows and solid merch shifters. Same goes for the late nineties /early 2000s era when the Dudleys, Hardys, E&C, APA, Too Cool et al were some of the most entertaining acts on the undercards. I just can't comprehend the demise of tag team wrestling in WWE.

Also, the DX feud with Legacy showed that there's a lot of room for it as well. I know it's not considered their best match out of the series, but I really, REALLY loved the DX/Legacy match at Summerslam - it's one of the few "modern" matches I've actually re-watched several times, I enjoy it that much.

I reckon Kofi and Evan Bourne might be alright, both around the mid card so they might have a good run. Also if Sheamus goes to Smackdown, reckon he'll start up a team with Drew McIntyre?

Ted Dibiase needs Goldust, might liven the boring bastard up.

A bit damning for poor Ted as a singles, that he can only be interesting when tagged with a Rhodes.

• Paid Members

Or like Head Cheese.

Or like two pages ago.

Great minds are obviously thinking alike.

After that bombshell, a couple of suggestions of my own.

With Shelton working a dark match recently and with Swagger no doubt being lost in the shuffle again after Wrestlemania, I'd bring Shelton back full time and have them team up as the All American's, or a name to that effect. Don't let them talk, just give them a manager and the let them be the workhorse team of the division. They'd have some cracking contests I reckon.

Zack Ryder and Santino. Kozlov won't be around forever and eventually Santino will want a new accomplice, and Ryder is the perfect fit. He'd obviously need a face turn, but you the comedy between these two would be absolutely off the charts if they played their cards right and gradually got them teaming up.

King Pitcos mentioned Regal and Goldust and I agree it would be ace, I recommended them in another thread a while back. Similar to how Booker and Goldust interacted back in the day.

They should bring in the briscoe brothers

Quality idea. I can't see them keeping the Southern badass head case gimmick though. Not very child / WWE friendly are they with their Confederate flag shorts and springboard shooting star to the outside moves! I think they

I would like to see these:

Goldust and William Regal as an odd couple with masses of comic potential.

Failing that, that 'Barking Spiders' thread makes me long for Tomko and Giant Bernard to be back as a 'Power and Paint' style unit.

I've gone on enough about it before, but I thought Mysterio and Evan Bourne were a great team, really worth watching - they were pretty over, too.

I think there's mileage in a Show/Khali team too.

All of which I think could work very well together or already did in the case of Mysterio/Bourne in their fun little feud with Kane/Knox.

If they put Tomko and Bernard together they should definitely give them a manager. I think Matt Striker could work since I really liked the little thing he had going as the brains behind Big Daddy V. He seems like he was born to be the nerdy mastermind behind some huge monster who destroys his enemies for him and it would be easy to work an angle where they have him say he got demoted on commentary but he was back to reek vengeance on SmackDown! with his army of monsters

So a modern day Head Cheese?

Thats it. I was trying to think where I'd seen it before and the Paparazzi thing was the only thing popping up. I dont know why they dont do the boring cunt/funny bloke storyline more often. They sort of did it with Lance Storm and Goldust as well, but it didnt last very long.

Which is a shame. Both were good workers (I thought Goldust was one of the better guys in the entire company around 2002-03) and I always preferred Storm in tag teams than in singles. Not that he was a bad singles wrestler but he seemed to have a knack for being in good tag teams. Less so the Impact Players and more his stuff with Candido, Credible, Awesome, Hurricane, Christian, Regal and Morley - I thought he worked well with all of them. Sticking him with a charismatic guy like Goldust was a good move and it's a shame we didn't get more of it. :(

I'm going against my own purposes of starting the thread now but i'd love Nunzio and Stamboli to be brought back to boost a tag division too. Those guys were an awesome team together.

I'm probably biased because Nunzio was my favourite Cruiserweight in those days but I was a fan of the WWE version of FBI as well. They had that whole 'Freebird' thing going for a while as well with Palumbo in there.

That said the only thing that puts me off that was reading how far Stamboli had fallen since then (his TNA run). I don't think I saw any of it but I remember he was getting "worst wrestler of the year" type reactions at the time.

For those who watched it was Stamboli's TNA run as bad as people made out?

I don't understand why Vince has such a downer on tag teams, especially there are so many people on the roster doing next to nothing. The recent Cena/Miz/Corre tag title match on Raw showed that people will care about teams if they're given a reason to. I know Vince's priority is making money but are tag teams really that unmarketable in the "WWE Universe"?

This is what confuses me. Surely all the great teams that were around in the late eighties /early nineties made Vince a ton of money and were great draws to the live shows and solid merch shifters. Same goes for the late nineties /early 2000s era when the Dudleys, Hardys, E&C, APA, Too Cool et al were some of the most entertaining acts on the undercards. I just can't comprehend the demise of tag team wrestling in WWE.

What I find interesting is that both boom periods coincided with times when they were most emphasizing the tag team 'division'.

I don't think it's unique to WWE either you have WCCW with the whole six man feud between the Freebirds/Von Erichs, Crockett drew well nationally with arguably the best tag team roster of all time and guys like The Road Warriors as main eventers, even WCW's boom came at a time when the Tag Team Titles were pretty high profile.

I'm not sure there has been a company in the States that didn't peak at a time when their tag division meant something.

Quality idea. I can't see them keeping the Southern badass head case gimmick though. Not very child / WWE friendly are they with their Confederate flag shorts and springboard shooting star to the outside moves! I think they

• Paid Members

• Paid Members

This is about putting two guys together that you think could work as permanent fixture though as they are doing little else. Like The New Age Outlaws, Miz and Morrison or Beer Money and The Motor City Machine Guns established themselves as genuine teams.

I mentioned Bourne and Barretta before and the more I think of that the more I think it could work a treat. I also said about Dolph and Swagger as a 'Minnesota Stretching Crew' type team but with Dolph obviously looking like he has a bright singles future now I can't believe I didn't think of the half of The MSC still available with Shelton Benjamin. I really like that idea of 'The All Americans' they've already donned pretty similar garb as each other before too and would obviously don those again for this gimmick.

Someone mentioned nobody has put Yoshi with anyone. I started this thread thinking Kofi could be put in a tag team, he seems way above Yoshi currently but is in danger of slipping into obscurity even though he's the IC champ, anyone think they could work together and if so, what would you call them? The Jap-Ghan Connection? The Boom Dragons? The Dragons of Paradise? Those are endlessly rubbish, I'm sure someone can think of something better.

id go with kofi kingston and r truth. as faces. call them the kings truth or something along them lines.

Big zeke and bring back shad gaspard to team with him.

Ryder and masters would work quite well i believe or get val venis. they could be a modern day heart throb team.

brett and ted dibiase managed by dad

the hart dynasty managed by mouth of the south jimmy hart

xavier woods (appollo creed) and mark henry

id go with kofi kingston and r truth. as faces. call them the kings truth or something along them lines.

Big zeke and bring back shad gaspard to team with him.

Ryder and masters would work quite well i believe or get val venis. they could be a modern day heart throb team.

brett and ted dibiase managed by dad

the hart dynasty managed by mouth of the south jimmy hart

xavier woods (appollo creed) and mark henry

Are you against inter-racial tag teams?

• Paid Members
With Shelton working a dark match recently and with Swagger no doubt being lost in the shuffle again after Wrestlemania, I'd bring Shelton back full time and have them team up as the All American's, or a name to that effect. Don't let them talk, just give them a manager and the let them be the workhorse team of the division. They'd have some cracking contests I reckon.

Another cracking idea. I’m guessing by the accompanying manager that you’d have these two as a heel team? Either way, the wrestling would be superb.

Yeah, initially. Ron Simmons was in my initial thoughts, being a former All-American himself. It'd be quite interesting to see him take the DAMN stuff out of his verbal repertoire and big these guys up on the stick. But also with this All American stuff, it wouldn't take much to turn them babyface as the All American heroes, similar to when Kurt Angle turned in 2001, from annoying American jock to an American hero kind of deal.

Re: The Briscoes, they've had WWE tryouts before I believe and I think they were also offered contracts but opted to stay in ROH for the time being.

Archived