Pick Your Power Game Thread

Mike Castle

I am going to start calling you the flash.

I just hope my Mrs doesn't as well.

In all seriousness though, I'm concerned on Teedy Kay's FOS more than your vote. Very cagey, and very faux diplomatic.

Lets put him, as David Bowie sang, under pressure.

UNVOTE

VOTE Teedy Kay

Edit after preview: What ChrisB said basically.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is only a few things I can add to this game at this stage which haven't been mentioned yet.

1)As I was the draft winner, I got first pick of the powers, so you all know I have a power role. Whether that is a role I took to protect myself from scum, a role I thought scum would want, a role I like playing or a role I wanted to play will have to be left unanswered at the moment.

2)As there are four scum members, thay wouldn't have all picked the same role, so we have a minimum of four roles in this game, with a very, very slim chance that all roles could be involved.

3)Third and finally is a quote from Mikes sign up topic.

The TWIST:

This game is an open setup. This game is for 16 players and you KNOW that the game's scum team will consist of 4 Mafia, all other players will be town.

However, what roles you have is a bit trickier. Roles will be assigned via draft.

How does this draft work you say?

Everyone will, when they sign up, send me a PM with two numbers between 1 and 15 (X,Y). The first number closest to 1 that no one else picks will get first pick. The next closest that no one picks will get second, etc. If you pick a X number that someone else has the Y number closest to 1 no one has picked will get to pick next. If two people have the exact same numbers then I will random.org.

Once all players that have the first number are done, all 2 numbers, then three:

An Example Draft:

Player 1: 4,9

Player 2: 1,4

Player 3: 3,5

Player 4: 1,7

Player 5: 1,4

Player 6: 15,15

Player 7: 15,14

The draft order would be:

Player 3

Player 1

Player 7

Player 6

Player 4

Players 2/5 based on random.

----

The Draft:

Once the order is done, you will then straight down the list attempt to pick a power role. If someone above you on the list has picked that role you will be vanilla.

Note: The mafia and masons will be able to talk before the draft is announced for a period of approximately 24 hours.

So do we have Masons to worry about as well? :duh:

• Paid Members
So do we have Masons to worry about as well? duh.gif

Huh, that's a good spot:

Note: The mafia and masons will be able to talk before the draft is announced for a period of approximately 24 hours.

And a reason why swiftstrike's number analysis idea is perhaps a bit dangerous. It'd be all great and simple if we could detect who was scum through the numbers they've chosen, but if we could potentially dispose of a great resource like a mason team then we need to proceed with caution.

• Paid Members

good answer, hadn't thought of that, but in all honesty I would be surprised if there isn't somewhere in the region of 7 to 10 roles in the game as the people further down the list choose roles they don't believe the players above them would choose or end up with ones as they cover obvious choices that were not actually taken.

• Paid Members
masons are a town thing so nothing to worry about, but I haven't seen masons in a PYP game before. Also we know there are at least 5 roles in the game unless you are scum SMS, little slip there perhaps?

swift, he quoted that from Mike Castle's post in the sign up thread. It absolutely IS something to worry about, because you pushed an idea of numbers being relevant, but if that ends up taking out a mason rather than a scum member? We've just shot ourselves in the balls.

It's early days, but I'm finding several of your posts a little suspect.

FOS swiftstrike

• Paid Members

why are masons who are town role a thing to worry about Ron? after all mason's wouldn't need be choosing the same numbers to throw us off the scent that they are mason now so number analysis is valid to find SCUM.

F.O.S. Swiftstrike.

We don't know that, but scum might know there are five roles, as if a scum member went for the same power I chose they would be a mafia goon.

and how would they know that at this time?

• Paid Members
why are masons who are town role a thing to worry about Ron? after all mason's wouldn't need be choosing the same numbers to throw us off the scent that they are mason now so number analysis is valid to find SCUM.

Fair point if you buy your plan. I'm not convinced. In my opinion there's a good chance people are going to pick similar numbers anyway, given the method of getting a decent role. Your plan seems like a bit of a lottery to me.

Do this quickly:

Unvote

I'm a little suspicious about mentioning the numbers and changing the numbers, I'm not sure if it was a genunine mistake or some kind of way to throw people off the numbers. I'm not too sure what to think of it. So until then

FOS Bristep

How sure can we be that this masons group can't recruit and that the leader is scum?

I count 15 power roles, so someone was probably given the mason leader role, but as we have the Neighborizor role in the game to allow people to communicate I just find it hard to believe the mason group is town.

The following was quoted in the opening game post by Mike.

All town have the following win condition:

You win when all threats to the town are removed

All scum have the following win condition:

You win when you have eliminated the entire town, or nothing can prevent the same

Basic Vanilla Townie PM:

X, you are a Vanilla Townie, you have your wits and your vote.

All threats to the town, not just scum, so I think the Masons are evil.

I don't like Swifts posts so far, plus he seems certain Masons are town, so I'm voting for Swifty.

Vote: Swiftstrike

• Paid Members

Okay, two points:

A - Swift, what are your thoughts on my earlier post?

B - For the first time, we start a game with information. Anyone who chose a role that has been taken by someone else, and so is vanilla, knows that it's a role that is active in the game.

Now, I'm not sure what the best way to try and share that information is. One way would be for vanillas to identify themselves and explain what they went for and missed out on. Is anybody in favour of that idea? (NOTE - I'm not saying 'quick, out yourself'. I'm saying let's discuss it as a potential strategy).

Pros - it's not like the scum don't know who town are already.

Cons - Scum can pinpoint the power roles.

Pros - due to the number crunching, scum can probably do that already to an extent.

Cons - Scum can pretend to be vanilla in order to try and throw people off the right track.

So, I can see some advantages to this, for the first time in a game, since vanilla players have some information. What are your thoughts?

• Paid Members

2 things guys.

1 - The forum now will add double posts to the previous post. Be aware of this because it could screw things up, such as long quote replies split into multiple posts, they may suddenly become illegible due to them being combined. If you are posting following something you previously posted please put "EBWOP" at the start so it's known it's something fresh added.

2 - There are no Masons in the game, that's something left from when I C+P'd from the PYP III set-up. I only mention this because the game is fully open, and so don't want things hung up on mod WIFOM.

Okay, two points:

A - Swift, what are your thoughts on my earlier post?

B - For the first time, we start a game with information. Anyone who chose a role that has been taken by someone else, and so is vanilla, knows that it's a role that is active in the game.

Now, I'm not sure what the best way to try and share that information is. One way would be for vanillas to identify themselves and explain what they went for and missed out on. Is anybody in favour of that idea? (NOTE - I'm not saying 'quick, out yourself'. I'm saying let's discuss it as a potential strategy).

Pros - it's not like the scum don't know who town are already.

Cons - Scum can pinpoint the power roles.

Pros - due to the number crunching, scum can probably do that already to an extent.

Cons - Scum can pretend to be vanilla in order to try and throw people off the right track.

So, I can see some advantages to this, for the first time in a game, since vanilla players have some information. What are your thoughts?

Everyone including scum can be honest about there roles but it doesn't prove they are town or scum.

Scum just say vanilla instead of goon.

We need cop, tracker or watcher results, but even then we might have a framer out there, so we need to hope a town member got that role or take them out if they are scum asap.

Poor idea but don't let that stop you thinking of others though.

Archived