Documentary Thread #2

Watched Free Solo on Disney+ and was blown away. Such a mental thing to do and really breathtaking on a visual level. Alex Honnold isn't exactly the most endearing subject, but you get a lovely sense of the people around him and the magnitude of what he's doing in terms of his task and it's effects on his support network.

Followed that up with Breaking 2, which isn't about urban dancing and features no Electric Boogaloo but instead chronicles an attempt to break the 2 hour marathon. It was only 55 minutes or so and therefore doesn't really give you much of a look into its subjects or the science involved but was a breezy enough watch and reinforces, for any athletics fans that Eliud Kipchoge is just a fucking boss.

After that I realised that I've had The Dawn Wall sitting on a hard drive for over a year, so I banged that on. In terms of visuals it's not as good as Free Solo, but in terms of telling a compelling story with people you care about it, it's leaps ahead. You are absolutely invested in Tommy Caldwell from about 4 minutes in, and the story of his life and how the things he's gone through inform his relationship with this rockface makes for beautiful storytelling. Loved it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cunt.

Finished it. Incredible. The documentary is not just about OJ Simpson, but about racial history (and the importance of the Rodney King verdict), spousal abuse and manipulation, corruption, class, cele

Posted Images

Recently watched 'Inside North Korea's Dynasty's' which is a four part documentary (on the Geography channel I think) about the Kim family, how they all came to power and how they influence the North Korean people.

Worth a watch if you like these kind of things, thought the part about them trying to joint host the 1988 Olympics was quite fascinating. 

• Paid Members

Pharos of Chaos (Mubi)

A series of interviews filmed with Sterling Hayden on his boat back in the early 80s. He gets steaming drunk, talks a lot about boats, and not much about acting. Two hours in his presence flies by. An absolute pleasure.

This is about as obscure a recommendation as it's going to get on here. A friend recommended I watched a documentary from BBC Alba (an all Scottish Gaelic channel, to anyone not living in Scotland) on a cult band called Peat and Diesel from the Scottish islands. I'd not heard of them, but I thought the documentary, which is subtitled, was a very enjoyable. The three band members are a bit different, particularly the lead singer. 

It's available to watch here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gzrr/peat-diesel-series-1-1-thats-the-way-we-do-it

• Paid Members

We're really enjoying the James May travel doc in Japan on Amazon. It's hardly ground breaking but it's well put together and a ton of fun. Always found May the most tolerable of the Top Gear three and he's very good in this. 

17 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Has anyone watched Beastie Boys Story yet and if so, on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the saddest) how sad is it going to make me?

There's a bit which caused tears to stream down my face, and the bits where they reflect on MCA are very sad (I suppose every time he's on screen is sad tbh), but unfortunately I didn't think it was a very good documentary.

But I'm not a big fan, so maybe others will get more out of it than me.

• Paid Members
On 4/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

The 5 part OJ Simpson: Made In America is on iPlayer. Each part is about 90 minutes long, but it’s well worth a watch. Parts 1 & 2 cover his playing career and it then gets into the murder trial in Part 3 onwards

It's available for the rest of the year too, so nobody has any excuses not to watch it. It's possibly the best documentary I've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, WestCoastPop619 said:

I’ve been raking my brain, I have a vague memory of growing up early 2000s & seeing a documentary about a punch of guys making a film/indie film? I know it’s pretty infamous. I just can’t remember the name of it. Any thoughts. Sorry it sounds so vague.

American Movie?