Sign in to follow this  
Egg Shen

Documentary Thread #2

Cheers for that Magnum. Looks good. The Bravo and Abrams ones also stand out to me. I know little bits and pieces about both but not in any great detail so they should be the most interesting for me. The Benoit, Owen, Schultz ones etc, will be covering a lot of old ground but I’ll watch them.

I think the Brawl for All one might be alright but I’ve always had a weird soft spot for that shitefest. I’ve probably heard most of the main guys involved’s versions of events in shoot interviews - from Bart Gunn to Dr Death, Bob Holly, Steve Blackman and so on. But it’s a subject I’ll probably always enjoy revisiting. Because I’m bizarre. 

Yeh, my favourite episode of the first season was the Gino Hernandez one because it was the story i knew least about. Id imagine for someone watching this series with a passing interest in wrestling it's eye opening stuff.

I've watched a couple of 30 for 30 documentaries over the past couple of days.

First up was Benji about Chicago high school basketball star Ben Wilson who was gunned down and killed in the street the day before the start of his senior season.  The story was very reminiscent of the documentary about Len Bias, another young basketball star, who had the world at his feet, lost his life (albeit under different circumstances) and ending up being a "What if..." case.  Wilson was considered the best high school basketball player in the country when he was killed.  What was unexpected is that we hear from one of the people who killed Wilson, Billy Moore, an almost "poster boy" now, if you will, for rehabilitation.  The official story is that Moore and another youth tried to rob Wilson, when he fought back Moore shot him and he subsequently died from his injuries.  Moore claims that wasn't the case at all; that an argument ensued when Wilson barged past him, he showed his gun, expecting Wilson to back off, however Wilson lunged at him and then he shot him in self-defense and that the confessions they signed was done under duress.  Unfortunately one of the only other people who knows the truth, Wilson's then girlfriend and the mother of his child, declined to be interviewed for the documentary and at the time backed up the official version of events.  The murder had a huge impact on the town, tens of thousands attending his funeral, although some of his closest friends thought it did turn into a bit of a circus.  The family ended up suing the hospital for neglect (the hospital settled out of court) as, had there not been delays, he would've survived, while his mother, like in Without Bias, went on to become a campaigner for what killed her son.

What I like about these documentaries are even when they're about a sport I'm not really that interested in, the story is so engrossing and captivating, which is absolutely the case here.

I have been a huge fan of the story of "colton Harris Moore" for many years and i cant recommend watching this documentary enough, the books are good too

Colton Harris-Moore's superhuman ability to escape capture by stealing airplanes and living in the wilderness made him a modern day folk hero. Fusing documentary, graphic novel style animation, and dramatic recreations, the film contrasts the story of a real kid who fell into burglary to keep from starving with his mass media persona, The Barefoot Bandit. While telling Colt’s larger-than-life story, this film examines the public fascination with underdog anti-heroes and how fame becomes the kiss of death for these outlaws we root for.

Colton Harris-Moore. A teenage outlaw wanted in nine states for more than eighty crimes. For two years he outran authorities--often times barefoot. And every step of the way, a frenzied public cheered him on...

"The Barefoot Bandit" looked like a typical American teenage boy. But Colton Harris-Moore was something else: a disturbing neighborhood nuisance at the age of ten, a troubled felon at twelve, wanted at fifteen, and the subject of a cross-country and international fugitive manhunt by the time he could register to vote. He stole boats, luxury cars, laptops, credit cards, and planes, despite no formal flight training, then embarked on an astonishing two-year crime spree that crossed international borders, fueled a titillated media, and eluded law enforcement. A twenty-first century Billy the Kid, Harris-Moore hid in the woods and lived on candy bars, snack food, and at least one stolen organic blueberry pie. As his crime spree continued and his notoriety grew, he was celebrated online, on t-shirts, and on Web sites and a Facebook Fan Club. Only one thing was increasingly clear. Harris-Moore wasn't going to give himself up easily. His fans wouldn't have it any other way.

This is the Barefoot Bandit's life story--his youth, his crimes, and his capture--the incredible true account of a digital-age wild child who may have run out of getaways, but found something much more valuable: a peculiar and very American brand of fame.

Edited by Ralphy

On 3/13/2020 at 6:21 PM, Magnum Milano said:

I've watched a couple of 30 for 30 documentaries over the past couple of days.

What I like about these documentaries are even when they're about a sport I'm not really that interested in, the story is so engrossing and captivating, which is absolutely the case here.

Absolutely. I signed up to ESPN just to watch the XFL one but I've been making my way through them all from the beginning, and they're all absolutely fascinating in their own ways. Even when I rarely know the background story etc.

BBC4 are showing the incredible OJ: Made in America documentary tonight and continuing Tuesday and Wednesday (one episode this evening then two on each of the following days).  If you've never seen this before, watch it!

Edited by Magnum Milano

50 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

BBC4 are showing the incredible OJ: Made in America documentary tonight and continuing Tuesday and Wednesday (one episode this evening then two on each of the following days).  If you've never seen this before, watch it!

It's an incredible piece of work. So amazingly detailed and paced, its access is really quite something. One of the best pieces of TV or cinema I've ever seen.

3 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I saw it all in one block at a cinema screening with the director doing a Q&A.  Kept everyone's attention for the entire time. One thing that makes it even more interesting from a UK perspective is realising just what a big deal OJ was, which we never really got here.

The director was lovely - I asked about the American Crime Story series that came out at the same time, and how he felt about the timing and content. He avoided seeing it, but had heard it was also really good. He got the oscar a couple of days later.

As a companion piece, the American Crime Story series is interesting too - doesn't cover quite the same stuff, and goes more into some of the stories around the other people involved (like Marcia Clarke having topless holiday pictures published by the press). Between the two, it's an astonishing coverage.

Can anyone recommend any good sports documentarys on YouTube it's for my dad who turns 70 this year so more classic sport then modern

Thanks

2 hours ago, SBD said:

Can anyone recommend any good sports documentarys on YouTube it's for my dad who turns 70 this year so more classic sport then modern

Thanks

I can't spake for anyone else but that were great.

The Tiger King on Netflix is an entertaining few hours.  The main guy in it was on a Louis Theroux show a few years ago about private zoo’s in the states that feature dangerous animals.  The Tiger King himself is a.....personality shall we say with an incredibly complicated life.  Worth a gander at least.

Only part way into Tiger King, but the music videos take it to an another level.  Can't help but feel that Steven Avery could have enhanced the second season of Making a Murderer by spitting some rhymes from his cell.

Bruce Lee and the Outlaw

Currently streaming on Mubi, this is about a Romanian version of Edgar Friendly who gave dozens of kids somewhere to sleep. Pretty difficult to watch, as expected, but extremely interesting and balanced. Not too long either, so an added bonus.