Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

After that I watched Tim Richmond : To The Limit about the life of the NASCAR driver and how it was cut tragically short due to AIDS aged just 34. This was incredible just for the moment they talk about his attempted comeback after his diagnosis and the stigmata attached to it at that time

It's really sad seeing the bit where his buddies are all in the bar talking about him and one big bear looking guy starts crying. Makes me want to cry every time.

• Awards Moderator

Watched that XFL doc last night. What a rollercoaster. It's great seeing the rest of America slowly find out what a head-case Vince is. It's difficult to remember how provocative he can be when he's at a press conference given how media-shy he is now.

I remember it happening at the time and the XFL was such a blur. Shame it couldn't get a couple more seasons to bed in as it's a really good idea - the equivalent of NFL Blitz on TV.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Just watched a gooden called The Search For Weng Weng on Amazon Instant Prime. It follows an Australian film lecture as he searches the Philippines for any information about early 80s action star Weng Weng. An actor I had absolutely no knowledge of I'm ashamed to say. As an enthusiast of B movies I like to think I have a good working knowledge and this fella completely passed me by. So who's Weng Weng you may ask, if like me you have never heard of him before. It's probably best if you view the trailer for his second James Bond homage.

For Y'ur Height Only

Anyone seen the nobody speak trials of the free press? Its mainly about the hulk hogan gawker trial but also the future of the press. Interesting watch thats for sure.

• Paid Members

It's ok. It clearly has its agenda and targets; da 1% of 1%. I disliked how it only briefly discussed what a scummy website Gawker is.

"Well, yeah, they did a number of terrible things, but this nutter wants to drain kids if their blood, so he may reign for another 1000 years. Trump too!".

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah I watched that the other day. Didn't think much of it over all. It's interesting to hear details of the Gawker case but the blatent agenda the doc has seems very unbalanced and the last 30-40 mins seem really very tangentially connected.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the last 40 mins were just padding. Shite padding.

I think we were supposed to feel sympathy for Gawker, but I didn't - they're scumbags. I hate that type of journalism. Their whole point about it being unfair that Peter Theil funded Hogan's lawsuit held no water - because what if someone is in the right but can't afford $15m to bring Gawker to court? Then it's tough shit. The person who funds the case is irrelevant (in a way), when it's the courts that make the ultimate decision. All they're doing is paying for representation for someone who has been wronged. If Theil hadn't backed Hogan, he couldn't have afforded the case himself - and Hogan was certainly in the right here and did nothing wrong. He didn't know he was being filmed and he certainly didn't leak it. He has a right to privacy.

It all just reminded me what a scummy little cunt Bubba is. No idea how he didn't get into far more trouble. He filmed it and he leaked it too! I don't buy the whole "it was stolen" story that he pedalled. He was far more guilty than Gawker in all this.

I watched  Internet's own boy last night and it was an interesting watch. Its about Aaron Schwartz and how much the government went after him. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

(1) ...and Hogan was certainly in the right here and did nothing wrong...

(2)... He didn't know he was being filmed and he certainly didn't leak it. He has a right to privacy.

(3)... It all just reminded me what a scummy little cunt Bubba is. No idea how he didn't get into far more trouble. He filmed it and he leaked it too! I don't buy the whole "it was stolen" story that he pedalled. He was far more guilty than Gawker in all this.

(1) Hogan did do something wrong, however he was filmed without permission. He was wrongly filmed doing something wrong.

(2) 100% agree. 

(3) Did the courts believe the tape was stolen? Did they buy his story (I honestly can't remember). If they did, it answers your question as to why he didn't get in to 'more' trouble. If they bought his story he'd get a slap on the wrist for being a voyeur. If the courts believe he purposely sold the tape/gave/leaked the tape with specific intentions then yeah, he should be in more trouble.

They are all Fucking slinks. 

I appreciate the feedback on the doc from people so far, I was quite looking forward to it but it sounds like something I could probably skip. 

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Hey Kaz:

1) Yes, of course he's a racist fucker - but that was still his own private comment in what he assumed was private situation.

3) It was never brought up in the documentary since it didn't involve the courts - because Hogan didn't sue Bubba. They settled for $5k (which was touched upon), so that was the end of it. There's no way they were stolen though - what a garbage excuse. As if someone randomly broke into Bubba's house & knew what to look for and where they were (the tapes were in a safe apparently). No idea why Hogan sue that little cunt too.