Egg Shen

Documentary Thread #2

Ken Burn's Vietnam series on Netflix at the moment is well worth your time. It's mainly focused on the stories of soldiers and civilians (on both sides), but it's got some fascinating clips of various Presidents tearing their hair out about it. Cracking original soundtrack, as well as the usual Vietnam hits. 

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Ken Burn's Vietnam series on Netflix at the moment is well worth your time. It's mainly focused on the stories of soldiers and civilians (on both sides), but it's got some fascinating clips of various Presidents tearing their hair out about it. Cracking original soundtrack, as well as the usual Vietnam hits. 

Thanks for recommending - I've seen it pop up a few times and I've been looking for an excuse to watch it.

I started the Ken Burns Vietnam doc after hearing so much about it. It's really good but I've found it quite hard going tbh. Something you've really got to be in the mood for.

If you've even a passing interest in the 'Nightmare On Elm St' films I'd recommend 'Never Sleep Again' (available on youtube), another mammoth documentary that covers every film in the series in great detail with a surprising amount of honesty over what worked & what was dogshit.

49 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I started the Ken Burns Vietnam doc after hearing so much about it. It's really good but I've found it quite hard going tbh. Something you've really got to be in the mood for.

If you've even a passing interest in the 'Nightmare On Elm St' films I'd recommend 'Never Sleep Again' (available on youtube), another mammoth documentary that covers every film in the series in great detail with a surprising amount of honesty over what worked & what was dogshit.

As a fully fledged "Fred-Head", I'm completely in love with Never Sleep Again and watch it regularly. The Friday the 13th one "Crystal Lake Memories" is great too, as it "You're So Cool Brewster" telling the story of the making of Fright Night and Fright Night II... 

3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I love anything about Vietnam and even though I've seen a bunch of documentaries about it, I'll always mainline more/

I've started watching America To Me from the director of Hoop Dreams, Steve James. It follows a year in a Chicago high school and the racial diversity and divides within it, it's good stuff but I'm not sure it's on any UK channel/streaming site yet. You can find it at the usual bays of pirates.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:42 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Documentaries are not my field of expertise at all, I watch way too few of them. So I was wondering if anybody knew if there were any good ones out there about ghost towns or lost cities, abandoned places, that sort of thing? Someone just recommended me City 40, anyone know of any others?

There was a series I watched on Discovery or some similar channel called "Abandoned engineering". It was quite decent and might be what you're after, loads of episodes focusing on different places, quite interesting. 

edit

Edited by TiNGLE

3 minutes ago, kev2050 said:

There was a series I watched on Discovery or some similar channel called "Abandoned engineering". It was quite decent and might be what you're after, loads of episodes focusing on different places, quite interesting. 

Cheers for that, I'll see if I can find a few episodes.

7 hours ago, TiNGLE said:

Do you guys remember Lipstick And Dynamite?

Yeh, wasnt that on Netflix for a while?

Bob Mortimer tweeted this fantastic BBC Hell's Angels doc from 1973 the other day.

Better than Sons of Anarchy!

Edited by Guy Bifkin

Probably late to the party but Evil Genius has taken over my life this week. What a stunningly messed up turn of events. I can't believe this shit is real. The news reporter footage of the arrest will stay with me for a long time. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

Yep, the first half hour or so is intense, i knew how it turned too because i remember the story being in the news. Crazy story.