Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@Cod Eye and all other Last Chance U fans. There's another decent thing that I've just blitzed through on Netflix called QB1: Beyond The Lights, which focuses on high school quarterbacks already committed to colleges. It's well worth a watch if you like that sort of thing.

Cheers Bacon! I'll bang it on my watch list. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Fancied watching this documentary about Blackadder I'd seen a while back and was pleased to see it was on YouTube. It's a feature length light hearted retrospective of the whole show with loads of the people involved chatting about it. Tim Mcinernny comes across as a bit of an arsehole though. 

• Paid Members

Documentaries are not my field of expertise at all, I watch way too few of them. So I was wondering if anybody knew if there were any good ones out there about ghost towns or lost cities, abandoned places, that sort of thing? Someone just recommended me City 40, anyone know of any others?

• Paid Members
On 7/31/2018 at 2:38 AM, DEF said:

I've just watched Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind on NowTV and it's superb. HBO are tremendous between this and the Andre doc. Highly recommended.

Caught the Andre doc finally the other day (its available on Sky Atlantic catchup). Its a great film but didnt really tell me anything i didnt already know. Id highly recommend for anyone who doesnt know the Andre story though. Wrestling fan or not.

I really do need to start watching these inside sports teams documentary series though, them things will be right up my street. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Watched the whole of OJ: Made in America yesterday and it's absolutely stunning, isn't it? I find documentaries frustrating a lot of the time because I just think it's a really flawed genre that often struggles to give the subjects it chooses enough depth.

You couldn't accuse this of that, though. Its depth and field of research is astounding, an amazing achievement by all involved.

• Paid Members

Ken Burn's Vietnam series on Netflix at the moment is well worth your time. It's mainly focused on the stories of soldiers and civilians (on both sides), but it's got some fascinating clips of various Presidents tearing their hair out about it. Cracking original soundtrack, as well as the usual Vietnam hits. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Ken Burn's Vietnam series on Netflix at the moment is well worth your time. It's mainly focused on the stories of soldiers and civilians (on both sides), but it's got some fascinating clips of various Presidents tearing their hair out about it. Cracking original soundtrack, as well as the usual Vietnam hits. 

Thanks for recommending - I've seen it pop up a few times and I've been looking for an excuse to watch it.

• Paid Members

I started the Ken Burns Vietnam doc after hearing so much about it. It's really good but I've found it quite hard going tbh. Something you've really got to be in the mood for.

If you've even a passing interest in the 'Nightmare On Elm St' films I'd recommend 'Never Sleep Again' (available on youtube), another mammoth documentary that covers every film in the series in great detail with a surprising amount of honesty over what worked & what was dogshit.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I started the Ken Burns Vietnam doc after hearing so much about it. It's really good but I've found it quite hard going tbh. Something you've really got to be in the mood for.

If you've even a passing interest in the 'Nightmare On Elm St' films I'd recommend 'Never Sleep Again' (available on youtube), another mammoth documentary that covers every film in the series in great detail with a surprising amount of honesty over what worked & what was dogshit.

As a fully fledged "Fred-Head", I'm completely in love with Never Sleep Again and watch it regularly. The Friday the 13th one "Crystal Lake Memories" is great too, as it "You're So Cool Brewster" telling the story of the making of Fright Night and Fright Night II...