Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 5/16/2018 at 5:54 PM, Egg Shen said:

Anyone watched Evil Genius yet? (on Netflix). It's getting some Making a Murderer esque buzz. I've seen episode 1 and I'm in board for the series. I actually remember the crime when it happened, I know nothing of the actual case though.

Yeah. I went in not knowing anything about it too, so was proper gripped by it. It's not as good as the high points of the genre (Making a Murderer & The Jinx), but it's still a fascinating, twisted tale. Some of the people in it seem like they were made up, but there they are in all their vulgarity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 5/18/2018 at 2:24 PM, ColinBollocks said:

Yeah. I went in not knowing anything about it too, so was proper gripped by it. It's not as good as the high points of the genre (Making a Murderer & The Jinx), but it's still a fascinating, twisted tale. Some of the people in it seem like they were made up, but there they are in all their vulgarity.

the main lady reminded me a lot of Aileen Wurnos, just a twisted, confused, nasty piece of work.

Life:Animated

The story of an autistic guy who when he was a boy couldn't communicate with his family except via his love of Disney films.  Some genuinely lovely moments and insight into how he processes the world. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know anywhere I could download a copy of "Best Worst Movie", the documentary about the movie "Troll 2"?

I only need it as part of a research project I've been asked to do for a potential charity film fest, so I'm trying to keep my overheads down. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know anywhere I could download a copy of "Best Worst Movie", the documentary about the movie "Troll 2"?

I only need it as part of a research project I've been asked to do for a potential charity film fest, so I'm trying to keep my overheads down. 

It's on Amazon Prime to "rent" for ÂŁ2.99, though it's on the Shudder channel, so if you've not subscribed to that channel already, you should be able to get a 7 day free trial.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's on Amazon Prime to "rent" for ÂŁ2.99, though it's on the Shudder channel, so if you've not subscribed to that channel already, you should be able to get a 7 day free trial.

It's looking like I will have to rent it. I do subscribe to Shudder through Amazon Prime, but the doc isn't available on there unfortunately...

11 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

It's looking like I will have to rent it. I do subscribe to Shudder through Amazon Prime, but the doc isn't available on there unfortunately...

I'm 99% sure i still have it on an external hard drive somewhere. Will try get it uploaded if you still need it, not a problem. Let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

If you can watch without prejudice, some of the gay documentaries out there are quite good. "Before Stonewall", "After Stonewall", "We Were Here", "How to Survive a Plague" and then if you want, you can watch the film version of the book "And the Band Played On". Everybody is in that one. Phil Collins plays a sleazy gay sauna owner. Not making that one up.. I'm not gay but most of these you'll be crying at some parts, especially if "And the Band Played On" is the one with the Elton John song playing at the end: "The Last Song".

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
On 6/27/2018 at 10:27 AM, Cod Eye said:

Disgraceful they basically took the piss out of the woman who played the mother in "Troll 2". She was obviously mentally ill in the documentary (and so was her mother). Just not right filming.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Disgraceful they basically took the piss out of the woman who played the mother in "Troll 2". She was obviously mentally ill in the documentary (and so was her mother). Just not right filming.

That bit of the doc really does feel off, doesn't it? There was more than once in the film that felt really awkward and mean...

• Moderators
4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

If you can watch without prejudice, some of the gay documentaries out there are quite good. "Before Stonewall", "After Stonewall", "We Were Here", "How to Survive a Plague" and then if you want, you can watch the film version of the book "And the Band Played On". Everybody is in that one. Phil Collins plays a sleazy gay sauna owner. Not making that one up.. I'm not gay but most of these you'll be crying at some parts, especially if "And the Band Played On" is the one with the Elton John song playing at the end: "The Last Song".

You don't have tro keep mentioning you're not gay any time you mention anything to do with homosexuality. It makes you seem gay, if anything.

I'm not gay but can anyone recommend the best feature docs currently on Netflix? I can't be arsed sitting through an entire series and all the most highly rated ones I've searched have been Netflix produced series. Like I say, I'm not gay, just asking for a friend.