Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

anyone here seen the boxing documentary 'The Long Journey'. It's was a BBC film (2002) based on the life and death of Welsh boxer Johnny Owen. The doc. gives his story up until his death in the ring in Mexico...then it cuts to modern day where it follows Johnny's father who makes the trip to Mexico to meet the man who was responsible for his son's death. It's pretty heartbreaking stuff, it's a an eye-opening look inside boxing and how it effects both families and opponents. I found the footage of the meeting a little too intrusive, but fascinating all the same. The actual footage of the fight is harrowing, the punch which ends the fight is a horrible piece of film, Johnny didn't die there and then, but he never woke up and the way he goes down just kinda tells the story :( The guilt his father's lived with since is something which must be unbearable (he refused to throw in the towel), if you're a boxing fan or not i recommend you track it down.

The Long Journey Trailer

Madness In The Fastlane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6e3OwOws3I

A BBC Documentary which tells the story of two bonkers women who attempt to commit suicide by throwing themselves into traffic on the motorway. A lot of the footage was caught by BBC cameras and therefore some of the scenes are actually quite shocking.

I will always pimp The Thin Blue Line, Dear Zachary, Crumb, Paradise Lost, Video Nasties and Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy!

Watched Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and A Decade Under the Influence the other week as I am studying Film at Uni and the 'New Hollywood' period is probably my personal favourite period in Film History.

Got A Personal Journey With Martin Scorsese Through American Movies on its way in the post as well! Can't wait.

If you're not too hot on Documentaries I would suggest the Michael Moore documentaries. Has anyone seen Zietgeist by the way?

Cheers for mentioning that I never knew it existed, just finished watching it there and it's awesome. Runs at 4 hours and covers all the films up to Freddy Vs Jason with interviews with all the cast from the films except a couple like Depp & Arquette.

+1

I remember reading about that pre-release and was more interested in that than the re-make (or perhaps not since i forgot about it till now!) so it's on the list to be watched. Looks a beast too at 4hrs plus extras :nerd:

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know of any decent documentaries (or even if there's a reality series type thing) based on diamond mining?

Also any to recommend on killing spree's? Reading about the Port Arthur massacre fascinates me and would like to see the story unfold on film in more detail.

Just watched and would highly recommend 'Hot Coffee' (2011), an HBO documentary about frivolous lawsuits including Stella Leibeck, the woman who sued McDonald's when she was horribly burned by spilling a cup of their coffee, Jamie Leigh Jones and many more. Really insightful look into lawsuit culture and corporations' efforts to protect their interests with hidden contract clauses etc.

• Awards Moderator
Does anyone know of any decent documentaries (or even if there's a reality series type thing) based on diamond mining?

Also any to recommend on killing spree's? Reading about the Port Arthur massacre fascinates me and would like to see the story unfold on film in more detail.

There's a decent documentary on the Columbine killings. The link to the first of five parts is here. It goes in to detail about the two killers and what happened as they planned it all in the months leading up to the day. Quite grim in parts, as you'd expect, but fascinating.

The King of Kong is fucking amazing.

It's about a guy trying to break the world record for an old Donkey Kong arcade game. I don't know much about gaming etc but i REALLY got into this.

You wont be dissapointed if you watch this whether or not you're into games. The story is just compelling.

Edited by ScottT07

• Paid Members

oh yeh King of Kong is brilliant, always trying to pimp that. It's hard to get people to watch though, they always kind of give that 'are you winding me up?' look when i mention it.

The King of Kong is fucking amazing.

It's about a guy trying to break the world record for an old Donkey Kong arcade game. I don't know much about gaming etc but i REALLY got into this.

You wont be dissapointed if you watch this whether or not you're into games. The story is just compelling.

Just watched this documentary on Youtube on your recommendation, really enjoyed it!

Being a big retro gamer fan it ticked all the boxes from the start, but I agree that even someone who isn't into games could enjoy it - it was a really well put together documentary.

Cheers for the recommendation :thumbsup:

dont know if anyones mentioned it but his name is jason is a cracking documentary, along the same line as the elm street one (which i cant find anywhere to buy). it covers every film in the series, including the newest one and the extras are top notch too, especially the one about every actor to play jason.

• Paid Members

One for the hiphop heads on here, I recently watched 'Beats, Rhymes & Life' the new documentary about 'A Tribe Called Quest', directed by Michael Rappaport. It's excellent stuff & should appeal to non-fans too. I saw it on a leaked Sundance screener so the more savvy amongst you will be able to find it.

Suppose it comes under serial killers rather than killing sprees but i would urge you to watch the sit down interviews with Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski who was a hitman for the mafia for decades before finally getting caught. There are two sit down interviews from inside prison both filmed years apart but they are both excellent and pretty chilling especially for such a "normal" bloke what he did and how long he did it for is frightening.

On a similar note there is a sit down interview with Jeffrey Dahmer a few months before he was killed in prison.

Jeffrey Dahmer Part 1

The Iceman : Confessions Of A Mafia Hitman - Part 1

The Iceman : Confessions Of A Mafia Hitman - Part 2

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin