Smackdown *Spoilers 11/3

Super Cena

Is the point that he's actually fine, and he's making a big bullshit deal out of it because he's a heel? If so, why is no-one calling him on his bullshit?

Or are we meant to believe that he really got injured, and (despite looking fine after the 'injury', without a spot of blood) did actually have serious surgery on his face - despite it looking fine?

I just think it's a bit odd.

I think that is the point, to be honest. He's faking the injury and thereby whining and complaining about an issue that isn't there. He hasn't been called on it yet but presumably he will be.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the point that he's actually fine, and he's making a big bullshit deal out of it because he's a heel? If so, why is no-one calling him on his bullshit?

Or are we meant to believe that he really got injured, and (despite looking fine after the 'injury', without a spot of blood) did actually have serious surgery on his face - despite it looking fine?

I think that is the point, to be honest. He's faking the injury and thereby whining and complaining about an issue that isn't there. He hasn't been called on it yet but presumably he will be.

But how long does that take? He's been on TV for weeks now.

Not even one of the announcers has pointed out that Cody's face hasn't got a mark on it. Rey has been bitched out for causing the injury, surely his first rebuttal would be "erm... your face is fine mate. What the fuck?".

Is there not quite a big flaw in this current Cody Rhodes story, in the sense that we can see quite clearly that his face is completely fine?

All this talk of his "dashing looks being ruined" and "extensive re-constructive surgery" all seems really silly when he's wearing a see-through mask that shows his face looking exactly the same as normal.

It is odd. They said he had successful reconstructive surgery, so I thought the mask was just for protection while it heals properly. If that's the case, then it's the mask that makes him look a freak, and has knocked his confidence, not what's under it. I'm just surmising that though.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's it. That and he's pissed at Rey for depriving him of competing in the Rumble and at the Chamber and his potential headlining Wrestlemania opportunity. Combined with smashing his dashing face in so that he had to have some serious fucking surgery to repair it, you'd probably be pretty pissed off and messed up too after that. Its quite logical that someone so vain would have emotional scarring and believe their looks are gone forever following that.

Still think it could have been quite cool if he had a Vanilla Sky type mask and breakdown.

• Moderators

Yeah, I've seen Cody's injury as more mental than physical. He's so obsessed with himself that he sees damage that isn't there because he's flawless in his eyes and is super proud of his appearance. So if he gets a knock and it doesn't leave a mark he's still going to be paranoid and see his precious face ruined.

But if that is the case, surely someone should have picked up on it?

Either Rey pointing out that Cody's face looks untouched, or more likely Josh cutting off Cole (while he's banging on about Cody's face "being ruined") to point out that there isn't a scratch on Rhodes' face.

When Kane unmasked they spend a week or so attempting to blag that he looked "hideous" (despite it just being a shit haircut and some black paint around his eyes) but when they realised where they were going, they had the announcers pointing out that it was all in Kane's mind.

• Moderators

Well, maybe they're giving the viewers a bit of credit and letting them figure it out for themselves. Probably not, and I'm probably looking far too far into Cody's gimmick and the angle, but maybe they are.

Mind you, Smackdown is Hayes territory. Kane was on Raw. Hayes is more far far far more subtle than Gerwitz and Koskey.

Well, maybe they're giving the viewers a bit of credit and letting them figure it out for themselves. Probably not, and I'm probably looking far too far into Cody's gimmick and the angle, but maybe they are.

Mind you, Smackdown is Hayes territory. Kane was on Raw. Hayes is more far far far more subtle than Gerwitz and Koskey.

It's rare that they don't spell everything out to the fans, so it's hard to tell really. Just seems odd that they'd choose to use a see-through mask, yet not have anyone mention that he looks fine. It just makes the people that don't notice it on the Smackdown roster look stupid, rather than making the viewer feel clever for 'working it all out'.

Did Hayes write the subtle "Edge kidnaps Paul Bearer and hilarious japes follow" story?

• Paid Members

What I posted above is obviously Codys motivations. But all he ever really suffered was a broken nose, which of course does effect the facial appearance a fair bit but, Codys had a massive over-reaction to it which Josh and Book have implied (that his reactions have been entirely unreasonable).

Well what a total let down this show was. I'm not interested at all with Cody Rhodes, Triple H's promo put me to sleep nearly, the John Cena interview was a waste of time, and I can't be interested in this Kane Vs/& The Big Show thing because I have seen millions of times before over the years. I was really enjoying Smackdown for a bit there, but it looks like it's going down hill again fast.

• Paid Members

The character evolution of Cody is quite possibly my favorite thing going on both rosters at the moment. Really glad that Rey requested to work with him and hoping that he actually does put him over at some point in a match but that's not usually his style. Still, Cody is looking much stronger than Punk did and just keeps getting better.

I'm beginning to think they're doing it on purpose but is it just me that gets a Patrick Bateman kind of vibe from him?

• Paid Members
Well what a total let down this show was. I'm not interested at all with Cody Rhodes, Triple H's promo put me to sleep nearly, the John Cena interview was a waste of time, and I can't be interested in this Kane Vs/& The Big Show thing because I have seen millions of times before over the years. I was really enjoying Smackdown for a bit there, but it looks like it's going down hill again fast.

I thought the opposite. The Cody Rhodes stuff is the best stuff he's ever done, Triple H cut a good promo and further built up anticipation for the Undertaker clash, John Cena's promo was about a zillion times better than the dross he was spitting out on Monday. The Corre stuff is ok, nothing exciting but it's made mildly interesting in that Kane and Big Show aren't completely chummy yet.

Archived