NXT Season 5 Thread

liverpool1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Watched some of this last night. Only reasons to watch seem to be Maryse being pretty and Regal being funny. Still, will persevere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched this weeks episode. Good grief...

It's stopped being funny unfortunately, and now it just looks inept. Saxton should be nowhere near this, as it's going to bring him down. Cannon and Novak need putting out of their misery; someone needs to tell them that wrestling just isn't for them. Harsh, but true.

• Paid Members

I like Cannon's finisher and he's generally been ok this season. He's the second best one on the show (next to Titus O'Neil, whoodathunk) and has stolen Sean O'Haire's awesome old finisher.

The show is very dull though so far. Connor O'Brian is no longer a rat, Darren Young is still worse than Otunga and Byron Saxton and Jacob Novak are practically non-entities

I love NXT, but this season is an absolute farce. We're seeing the quality level of the Diva season but with none of the hilarious self-deprecation. Maryse is a terrible host, Regal isn't a good commentator yet (much as we might love him), the Pros are a general waste of space and the booking is nonsensical. I can't believe they're putting it out there. It honestly feels like a disdainful "fuck the audience, we'll put something better out when we're ready" move while they place their focus elsewhere. Whether they think people will get lost in the shuffle pre-Wrestlemania or they want to wait while some of the new rookies get extra FCW seasoning, it's still hard to understand how they could fuck this up so badly. It's irredeemable stuff.

Another episode. Apparently. Some idiots called "Undertaker" and "Triple H" spent half the show getting in the way with an old dude call "HBK". Before that, some movie star and a white rapper annoyed The Miz. Oh, and there was an arm wrestling contest (which Rattitude should've legit won) and a six man where Rattitude and Saxton were resplendent, and carried everyone. Lets get this "Wrestling Mania" out the way so we can get back to seeing who could possibly get the exciting spot on season 6!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Has this been the longest series of NXT so far? I swear it's been going on forever. I keep checking results every now and then thinking 'oh, it might've finished now and they have started the next proper season'- but no :(

• Paid Members
Has this been the longest series of NXT so far? I swear it's been going on forever.

Jesus Christ, yeah it is. According to the Wikipedia article, season 1 ran for 15 weeks, the other have been 13 episodes. This week will be episode 15 of season 5. I've been fastforwarding through the vast majority of the episodes, so I hadn't really noticed. No wonder it's so fucking boring.

I wonder if the issue, and indeed the whole concept of putting in this season, is that WWE have very few guys in FCW they want to bring up even to NXT level right now? Scanning through the FCW roster page, there's very few that leap out to me. I remember for the first couple of seasons there was fevered debate over who they were going to pick, and we all knew about the likes of the guys who would become Wade Barrett, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater etc, as well as the indy darlings like Bryan and Kaval.

Now, there's the former Tyler Black from the indy darling camp (although there's now this Moxley guy, isn't there?), Abraham Washington and Damien Sandow/Idol Stevens we've seen on TV before, Carlito's brother, and the former Consequences Creed. There's a few I recognise by name, a few I know a little more about but have only been in developmental a short while, but not much more.

NXT has done a bit to bolster the main roster, but it's sure thinned-out FCW too.

Archived