TUF Season 13: Lesnar vs Dos Santos Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

David

• Paid Members

According to the UFC's UK Twitter they're gonna announce today where TUF is getting shown

Hang tight on TUF people. It is coming and all of you will be able to see it and catch up with US. Thanks for not firebombing our offices.

about 9 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Not sure what kinda numbers they normally get but this latest season's first episode got a disappointing 1.5.

Think the biggest ratings they've got for TUF was 4.1 for TUF 10's debut but I very well might be full of shit there. TUF 3 with Tito and Ken Shamrock did good too from what I remember.

• Paid Members
I think it's too early to say that.

Granted it wasn't as exciting as everyone thought it would be, but it was only the first episode. The dull fight didn't help much either to be honest.

I can't forsesee how things are going to improve though; Dos Santos isn't going to somehow learn English during the season, regardless of what happens it seems exteremly unlikely that any rivalry or beef is going to develop between the coaches, and even the, "coming up this season..." montage didn't look particularly exciting or interesting. I definitely can't see me lasting the whole run.

I can't see why people expect Brock to be such a big draw for the Ultimate Fighter

It'll be because Brock is the biggest UFC pay per view draw by a massive, massive margin. That it didn't correlate to TV ratings just goes to show what a bad idea it was going with Dos Santos as the opposing coach.

• Paid Members
I definitely can't see me lasting the whole run.

Doesn't the fact that there may be good fights appeal to you?

Not a huge hell of a lot, no. Fights for the sake of fights, good or bad, doesn't have anywhere near the same novelty that it used to. For the most part, I need to care about fighters in order to care about their fights. I can still enjoy a good fight if I see one, but it's not something I actively go out of my way for. And, considering the ratings, I'm clearly in the majority in terms of feeling and thinking like that.

Not the greatest of episodes, still starting slowly.

Bad fight again which was basically a Couture 101 fight (though less effective).

I was going to say how much of a dick JdS' assistant Lew Polley seems to be and then I saw the clip of next weeks show - can't wait to see JdS tell him whos boss.

Anyway not much to this ep, though it is much watch during the fight - only due to Brock's voice breaking everytime he shouted instructions that made him sound like a 12 year old that had seen breasts for the first time. Brilliant.

I enjoyed this weeks more than last weeks

I found myself interested in the fight as Brocks fighter was a huge underdog and did a lot better than the others seemed to think he would do.

It seems Polly (JDS Assistant) will be a big part of the series, Brock is very subdued compared to what people thought he would be. As he is coming of a loss to Cain, no real beef between him and JDS and the ratings for the first episode being very dissapointing im predicting that the buyrate for Brock vs JDS will be the lowest that Brock has headlined in the UFC.

Around the 600k range I think, looking back from business and TV entertainment point of view they would have been better of having Mir instead of JDS, while the result would almost definatly be the same with Brock pounding Mir it would have more juice to it as no way would Brock and Mir not clash during the filming period.

I hope they sort out Sonnen vs Bisping or the just for pure insanity Miller vs Diaz because TUF is nowhere near as good when the coaches are cival. Supremo had a excellent point when he said in 2011 it is no longer enough to just put MMAfights on TV, the novelty has wore of.

There is much mileage left in TUF, its been my favorite Wrestling/MMA show since its Bravo started showed series 3 on 24 tape delay in 2006, I just hope Dana realises what brings in and entertains the viewers in future seasons. I thought he would have learnt from TUF 4 and TUF 7 that either civil coaches or no coaches at all takes a lot away from the entertainment value.

I can't believe we've had yet another fighter leaving the show because he misses his family. Haven't these guys seen any of the previous seasons?

I enjoyed this episode, mainly due to Cope being the massive underdog against the somewhat cocky Torres.

Apparently this episode drew a 1.2 rating, which isn't all that bad really. They can't be expecting to score massive ratings every season, can they? Apart from that, Lesnar doesn't really look to excited to be there, probably viewing it as an opportunity to get a rematch with Velasquez more than anything else.

I've seen a few people mention a Lesnar vs Mir season, which I don't think Brock would have gone along with. There's no way they could have had Lesnar fight Mir to get a crack at the belt, which is what Brock wants. Mir is nowhere near being a top level heavyweight, and a fight against him would not do Lesnar any good at all.

I'm not sure that the PPV fight between Dos Santos and Lesnar will draw as low as 600,000 though, as even though I believe some of the interest in Lesnar will have dipped due to him being destroyed by Velasquez, I still think there's more than enough people willing to pay to see him fight for a number around 800,000 - 900,000 or so, especially if they stick a decent co-main on the card.

If he loses to Dos Santos though (which I think he will), I'm not sure he'll come back from that.

• Paid Members

Another dull, shit show. Tough Enough is blowing this show out of the water. They really fucked up in not doing Lesnar vs. Mir.

I've seen a few people mention a Lesnar vs Mir season, which I don't think Brock would have gone along with.

There's no way they could have had Lesnar fight Mir to get a crack at the belt, which is what Brock wants.

What are you going on about? Before Velasquez got injured they had scheduled this to be a Lesnar vs. Mir season and Brock had agreed to do it. Once again, what you're, "thinking," is in direct opposition to the actual irrefutable facts. It was only once Velasquez went down, leaving Dos Santos with nothing to do, that everything was switched around, resulting in the current situation.

Mir is nowhere near being a top level heavyweight, and a fight against him would not do Lesnar any good at all.

To the casual audience, Mir is definitely still considered a top level heavyweight. Personally I don't see it, but ask the average fan on the street and they still think he's fantastic thanks to the way the UFC still hype him as such. I've had loads of talks with fans I know who think Mir is still a top tier guy. And therefore accordingly a win over him would've done Lesnar loads of good. None at all? Nonsense. It would've given him a pretty easy win against a guy people still perceive as a top guy, whilst also lining his pockets with a fucking truck load of cash, in turn setting Lesnar up as a realistic title challenger again. It would've been perfect for both Brock and the company.

If he loses to Dos Santos though (which I think he will), I'm not sure he'll come back from that.

In what sense? He'll choose to not come back, or the UFC will refuse to bring him back? Because either way I completely disagree, in both cases due to an important factor called money. Lesnar wants to make as much as possible at the moment, recognising his shelf life is short, and the UFC recognise what a cash cow Lesnar is so will likely book him until the end of time. I mean, they've kept Dan Hardy after three losses in a row, and Dan Hardy is a drop in the ocean compared to the importance and marketability of Lesnar.

• Paid Members

another boring kind of episode, the 3 round fights eat up any house time so we didn't get to see much. Not really sure what Torres was doing against Cope, it seemed he took Polley's advice in trying to grind Cope down against the cage, it was pretty ineffective though, he was basically stalling whilst throwing the odd strike and doing some dirty stuff with his head.

can't believe that dude left though, so early into it as well...what the fuck did he think he was getting into? i'm guessing it may be more to do with the fact that he realised he couldn't hang with the guys in there? he did have a pretty strong record though, the fighters that would kill to be given his oppurtunity. Madness.

Liked Brock's speeches too.

Archived