TUF Season 13: Lesnar vs Dos Santos Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

David

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Heres another video of Lesnar on Late night with Jimmy Fallon.

Talks his book and TUF 13 mainly.

Clicky

The above video and the Ariel's recent interview have really 'humanised' Lesnar to me. It's probably a case of promoting his book and TUF rather than him wanting to do it more than anything else, but he does come off pretty well and just like any normal bloke. Kind of takes away from the 'Pillaging Viking' persona. Not saying thats a bad thing either.

Yeah I think we'll see a different side to Brock on TUF. Can't see him being much of a prick to Dos Santos, there's no bad blood there.

I think Brock will make a decent coach coming from an amateur wrestling background which is often very team oriented. And he's seriously competitive so he'll want his team to do well. I think he might actually gain some fans on this season.

Really though like others have said it might not make for the most entertaining viewing having a more subdued Brock. If it had been a Lesnar/Mir season it would be guaranteed must see TV.

Still looking forward to it though and I'm more interested in Lesnar vs JDS than I would be in Lesnar/Mir 3.

First episode was ok for most of the show however the fight was god awful and if either of those guys ever make it to the UFC then i will be shocked.

Preview for the rest of the season give me high hopes for the season

I'm not sure if anyone knows the situation regarding UK coverage of this season as I'm avoiding the rest of the thread until I see the first show tonight, but I got this reply from Channel 5 after emailing them about it;

Dear David

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding UFC: The Ultimate Fighter.

Unfortunately, we do not currently hold the rights to Series 13 of this programme. Nevertheless, your interest in seeing it on one of our channels has been noted in the Viewer Enquiries Report. This is circulated throughout the company and will be seen by our Acquisitions Team.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your interest in Channel 5.

Yours sincerely

David

VIEWER ADVISOR

• Paid Members
It didn't get me excited at all. It looked completely generic and certainly didn't bode well for the season as a whole. Had Brock been coaching against someone like Mir this would've been amazing, but against Dos Santos this looks like it could be one of the dullest seasons ever, and that includes season four.

One episode in, it appears I was pretty much spot on in my prediction. It's crazy to think about it, but a season featuring Brock Lesnar looks to be one that's not even worth watching!

• Paid Members

standard first episode, it takes a couple of shows to get going, at the beginning it's all about introduction...stick with it.

I think most people are disappointed for the simple fact that Brock Lesnar appears more normal than everyone thinks, i assume everyone thinks he's gonna be a ticking timebomb in there, but it seems hes just there to coach and win, no dramatics, no beef with JDS, just competing. If the season focusses more on actual competition rather than drama outside of the cage it won't be a bad thing...so long as the fights are good.

As for this week's fight, it was complete dominance. Mackie's assessment of 'if either of those gusy end up in the ufc i will be shocked' is all kinds of fucked, what didn't Shamar Bailey do to show that he has some serious potential? the guy dominated for 10minutes, he was active too, he didn't finish but he threw some hurtful strikes and attempted a few submissions, he fought safe and you can't blame him for that.

The problem with TUF fights are, they are only 10mins long and it doesn't matter how you win, you advance...so when you have a strong wrestler in there like Bailey you pretty much have to expect him to play it safe, it's a hazard of the competition. The fact that coaches get to pick the fights do mean overall that we probably see worse fights than if they were picked at random, the fights are picked so one guy generally has a massive advantage over the opponent. I personally think it's something that needs to be addressed in some kind of way.

Before the fight i was trying to make my early season pick and judging by what little i saw and what was said i thought Bailey stood out, it's always the wrestlers i fancy to win the thing...just because over 10 mins they have a pretty big advantage, especially over guys who are primarily strikers.

Sad to see Myles drop out like he did, that's gotta be pretty heartbreaking to get through all the auditions, get on the show and be eliminated on the first episode through injury...i would not be surprised if Dana gave him a spot on the finale card, he seemed to like the guy.

Junior Dos Santos came off pretty well though, he has the same happy go lucky persona as the Nogueira brothers, i don't think he's going to harm his credibilty at all on the show.

About the fights, Dana said in an interview last week that he was majorly pissed off with the quality of the first couple of fights but then nearly every fight after that was fantastic.

So don't give up hope just yet.

I read that also, it sucks for the UFC though as they are bound to lose viewers if the first 2/3 shows are poor. For some people that may have been the first MMA fight they have ever seen. It wouldn't have been such a bad thing to have condensed the fight into highlight form.

• Moderators

As others have said, pretty dull. Not sure why they ditched the everyone having to win a fight way of evaluating. And why did Dana come out and read the picks from a list? I know Dos Santos' English isn't spectacular, but it seemed a bit of an anti-climax. I don't have high hopes at all. The TUF format is so indescribably stale at this point that if you don't have one coach who's a giant prick beefing with a good-guy coach, or a bunch of crazy drunk contestants smashing up the house, it's just white noise that kills 40 minutes a week.

• Paid Members
As others have said, pretty dull. Not sure why they ditched the everyone having to win a fight way of evaluating. And why did Dana come out and read the picks from a list? I know Dos Santos' English isn't spectacular, but it seemed a bit of an anti-climax. I don't have high hopes at all. The TUF format is so indescribably stale at this point that if you don't have one coach who's a giant prick beefing with a good-guy coach, or a bunch of crazy drunk contestants smashing up the house, it's just white noise that kills 40 minutes a week.

im glad they got rid of the 'fight to get in the house' thing, it made for a fun episode but i always thought it was a pretty cruel way to start the show...the 14 guys chosen here should legit. be good enough to be in the competition so they should be granted the oppurtunity to get in there and train other than qualify for the show and get eliminated before the show even starts (rememeber the guys who get in the house stay and train even if they get eliminated, that's some reward for getting picked...not to mention exposure).

As for Dana reading the picks, i found that weird...they also didn't really explain what the Chris Cope/Brock Lesnar bit was about? any ideas?

• Paid Members

despite the Brock factor TUF 13's debut show drew lower than the debut of season 12...im guessing the UFC were predicting something nearer the Kimbo Slice range, but the show drew just over half of what Kimbo's debut drew. The first episode ain't gonna help them numbers for next week :(

Archived