Back pain

soretooth

Hello, I've got a really bad back at the moment, had it for about three weeks. It is right down at the very base of my spine and feels like a constant dull ache or pressure which occasionally spasms into a searing stab of agony. It is also making me walk like an old man. I have been taking ibuprofen and codeine and using Deep Heat but it doesn't really seem to do anything. Going to the doctor tomorrow, but has anyone here had back problems and what did you do about it, any tips to relieve the pain?

Could be a myriad of things that Soretooth, but sounds deeply unpleasant. If I was to guess I'd say trapped nerve ( do you have pains down your legs as welll?) or blown disc as is constant pain

Ditch the Deep Heat, its muscle/tendon related injuries that really benefit from that, unless you have buggered some of your core muscles then its wrong type of heat apparently (you want wet heat as opposed to dry heat) Get yourself some Radox Muscle Soak/Bath Salts and use that if you want a heat thing long hot bath seems to help provide some relief. Some prefer the salts as are slower release, some prefer the bubbles. Invest in a Hot Water Bottle with a decent cover so you dont burn yourself is another way of getting some relief

Regarding Painkillers, you havent mentioned Paracetamol, any reason you are not taking any for the pain? You can layer the pain relief and can combine Ibropufen, Codeine and Paracetamol. but it is best to take them as separate tablets rather than get an all in one. Basically each time you get a period of prolonged pain, you may not need them all. Taking them all in one can help lower any future receptability to them which is crap especially if you dont need them. Talk to your doctor about this as it can really help in the long run. Furthermore, dont always expect the pain killers to completely get rid of the pain. they are there to turn it down and not eradicate it completely. As long as it's not as painful when its really painful its a start right?

As an in between thing see your pharmacist about some voltarol (diclofenac pain gel) and mixing and matching with the above, again confirm with docs as to what you can take with each other.

You may get, Diclofenac prescribed, will make you feel like shit taking it after a while so be careful ( not sure of the gel thing, doesnt do anything for me so I dont use it) Dehydracodeine.. You wont shit for weeks and isnt really for long term use. Amytriptalene, which will make you a bit zombied if you are not used to it but it can help relax the body and help with the pain.

Other things to consider are Gamberpentin and Buprenorphene but that will be up to your quack.

Id advise (as will your doc) to keep to as much of a normal daily rountine that you can, but dont over do it. Its a fucking hard thing to get right, it may mean that you do a lot less than you are used to in the interim, but will help in the long run. As over doing it will make you worse, doing nothing can lead to atrophy of the core muscles and this can really fuck you up in the longer term.

Hope that helps

PS Also consider getting a weight lifting belt or one of these tube style medical corset things or a Tens machine as these can all help. Back pain is one of these things that is different for everyone and as a result some things work better than others.

I have been suffering from a pionidal sinus recently which is literally a right pain in the arse. Basically it is an abcess in the upper cleft in your arse crack which can be caused by an ingrowing hair. I was not able to drive or sit comfortably for two and a half weeks, at its peak it was a size of a satsuma; I am not kidding my derri

Though what you've described sounds muscle-related, you doctor will likely also investigate the possibility of kidney stones. Constant dull aches interspersed with agonising pain are par for the course with that, although the pain tends to radiate to the front too rather than strictly at the back.

Either way, regardless of the cause, the symptoms are similar so the aforementioned hot (as in 'hot as you can tolerate it') bath with radox muscle soak really does take an edge off it. Minimum of an hour,

Also, when you've got muscle spasms, Buscopan is a tremendous over the counter drug which acts as a muscle relaxant which I take with 2 cocodamol as soon as I feel an attack coming on. It's no morphine, but it's the best you'll get without a prescription.

Archived