Getting Old

ajmcstyles

I am also 25 and agree that my clubbing days are pretty much over!

I think the main reason for it is because I have been going out to bars/clubs since I was 16, as back then age restrictions weren't so strict and I have always been a big lad (6 foot 4, didn't know they stacked it that high did you!)

Even before that I was a regular at under 18s nights at various clubs from around the age of 13. I've pretty much been off clubbing for a few years now. I used to go up town with big groups of mates every weekend at least once without fail. And loved it. But my prime partying days were between age 16-19 really. I am now most definitely post-prime!

My average weekend now includes possibly a few quiet drinks with the missus, a nice meal out somewhere or we just stay in. A big factor in that is we are saving to move out together but the hunger to go out and get slaughtered has definitely decreased and to be honest it takes me 2 days to get over a big night out these days anyway!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're just being normal. In your mid 20's you settle down.

That's how it worked with me too - ButchReedMark is simple and to the point. I think he/she hit the nail on the head. My "clubbing" peak began to fade when I was around 24. At 23 I was going out 5 days a week and it didn't affect me in the slightest. Apart from in the pocket. However I must admit if I didn't become such a hit with the ladies I'd probably still be spending my weekends shambling around these unlikeable, expensive, overcrowded, noise-polluted, stuck-up, dress-coded, idiot-infested shitfests just to get the chance to touch some boobies. Like my best mate still does :( He's gone bald too, bless him.

I find clubbing horrendous. Just the most awkward thing in the world. I'm fuck ugly and hate the music so standing around in a circle gingerly dancing about with my other underachieving mates as people all around me pull and have a much better time doesn't interest me in the slightest. I usually end up becoming grand overlord of the smoking room, burning through tobacco and wishing we had just stayed in, smoked a bowl and played Tekken or something.

Does anyone else have friends from their younger days that do still seem to be stuck in he same pattern of going out 3 nights a week to the same club that you used to see them in five years ago? I find it a little desperate that they are now closer to 30 than 20 but still working to barely cover rent and nights out.

I can think of a couple of my mates who do still do that, and while I'm generally past that stage now, I mostly think fair play to them. So many of my mates have already settled down with sprogs and only have nappy-changing, sleepless nights and shit package holidays to look forward to for the foreseeable future, so if a few of the lads want to prolong their youth a bit longer, good luck to them. The only reason I don't do it is I can't cope with the hangovers anymore and I'd rather go on a couple of holidays or weekend breaks to different cities every few months than spend

Does anyone else have friends from their younger days that do still seem to be stuck in he same pattern of going out 3 nights a week to the same club that you used to see them in five years ago? I find it a little desperate that they are now closer to 30 than 20 but still working to barely cover rent and nights out.

I can think of a couple of my mates who do still do that, and while I'm generally past that stage now, I mostly think fair play to them. So many of my mates have already settled down with sprogs and only have nappy-changing, sleepless nights and shit package holidays to look forward to for the foreseeable future, so if a few of the lads want to prolong their youth a bit longer, good luck to them. The only reason I don't do it is I can't cope with the hangovers anymore and I'd rather go on a couple of holidays or weekend breaks to different cities every few months than spend

• Paid Members

never really been into the club thing, i did when i was younger because friends would go and whatever, but ive always preferred a quieter type place...in fact i was always more a fan of getting a loads of cans in and sitting up the field or drinking in someone's house. These days i go out once a week usually, if it aint to see a band (which ive done regular since i was 15, i'm 28 now) it's usually down the local pub which is about 2mins from my front door...it's a bit of a dive, it smells like shit and you get some real weird fucks in there, but there's a band in on a saturday night and the beers flow.

Other than that though, my favourite type of night is to get a few cans in and watch some fights on tv, alone or with mates, it's all good.

Man, yeah me too. I'm still single so I mostly go out at the weekend in some sort of crap attempt to pull. I'd much rather spend my time in pubs or a good house party (not the destructive kind, but the get a load of beers talk with your mates and actually meet different people) nothing beats a great house party. Clubs are shit but i still find myself going to them. Some of my friends are settling down which is weird, but I'm 23 and still at Uni, so to the Uni friends I don't party enough...jeez. Sometimes the best days are the days in which you don't plan anything and if you end up in a club so be it, its all part of the fun...

I've never been one much for going out to clubs myself, didn't mind going out on occasions but I was never a regular, probably because I dance like a 1980's robot. When I was 26, it hit me one night that I was getting too old for this shit. Much prefer small house parties nowadays, followed by group activities. Was over in Liverpool for a weekend earlier this year and had a great time go-karting at Warrington.

• Paid Members

Minority here, it seems. I'm 31 and I'm clubbing almost as much as I ever was, and as I just posted in the Clubbing thread today, I've just come out of the weekend having had one of the best club nights I've ever had. I know plenty of people over 30 who go clubbing regularly, who aren't wankers or tossers or whatever it's apparently fashionable to call people who just like to enjoy going to a place to hear some good, energetic music and dance, maybe take some not-so-legal substances and generally have a good time. I also know a few decent venues in London and a load across Asia which are great to go to if you want a good atmos with a good crowd of laidback people with little to no attitude.

I don't always go to clubs to pull; in fact, I usually go to clubs when I don't want to pull - most of the time I'm going for the music, the dancing and the drugs (sometimes). I don't go every single weekend, and I enjoy going to house parties and pubs just as much and just as frequently, as I enjoy chatting and social drinking as well. Bowling's a good 'un too.

Clubbing's not for everyone; like any pursuit or social activity, some people like it or variations of it, and some hate it. Not being bothered with it doesn't make you old, you're just probably bored of it; by the same token, preferring to go to pubs doesn't mean you're any more mature - personally, I was way more into going to pubs with mates when I was in my late teens, and didn't really start clubbing regularly until I was about 22.

• Moderators
I don't always go to clubs to pull; in fact, I usually go to clubs when I don't want to pull - most of the time I'm going for the music, the dancing and the drugs (sometimes). I don't go every single weekend, and I enjoy going to house parties and pubs just as much and just as frequently, as I enjoy chatting and social drinking as well. Bowling's a good 'un too.

Well that's the key difference here isn't it? Everyone saying that they've gone off clubbing weren't doing the type of clubbing where you're there to dance and hear good music played loud.

Oh, and house parties really fucking suck, for the most part.

Clubbing in your 30s can be fun, but it's exhausting and the comedowns are immense. If you've actually got a job to do during the week, you can only really get blasted once in a while on the weekend.

Also, getting married means having something more interesting to do with your nights. Like West Wing marathons.

• Moderators
Clubbing in your 30s can be fun, but it's exhausting and the comedowns are immense. If you've actually got a job to do during the week, you can only really get blasted once in a while on the weekend.

It's not an age thing so much as a I got way too little time and too much other shit I want to do to be able to afford to write off a whole day on a comedown thing, I think.

• Moderators
Oh, and house parties really fucking suck, for the most part.

10-4. Also, drinking in the house in general, as it has the tramps waft of alcoholism to it.

Just give me my quiet village pub, with a good TV, and laughing at the tourists who come in and trying to put them off ever coming again by giving the pub dog loads of pork scratchings so it doesn't stop farting.

If I'm going the town, fuck nightclubs. There's nice quiet bars that open until 3am, and they don't have "Freshen Up for Punani" wankers in the toilets, and gurning wankers acting like their night in Liquid (

• Paid Members

It's not an age thing so much as a I got way too little time and too much other shit I want to do to be able to afford to write off a whole day on a comedown thing, I think.

Yeah - that's the main reason I've moderated my drinking of late and point-blank refuse to ever do charlie on clubbing nights - never really liked it anyway, very rarely did it, and it gives me a horrible comedown.

However, E and MDMA give me no comedown whatsoever - I simply find myself feeling really content, and I always feel fine the next morning, which is why they're my substances of choice. They're also why my BIG clubbing nights are almost never about going on the pull - dunno about anyone else, but they make shagging difficult: plenty of urge, but inability to finish, you need a girl with thighs of rhino-hide or she'll just get sore while you try futilely to squeeze it out.

I'm going on 21, and I've always preferred pubs to clubs. Hate the music, the noise, the inability to have a conversation with anyone. The only redeeming feature of clubs is the multitude of slutty girls. If I want to have a good night with mates, it's the pub every time. If I just want to get my fuck on, it's one of those horrific nightclubs.

Archived