"I'm not racist but..."

PepperPlunge

Does anyone else think people's spelling is atrocious these days, or is this just a Facebook 'showing off' type thing, and that people are still perfectly capable of it?

As a lecturer, it really fucking does. I'm sick of marking work from people in the final year of a degree who don't know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'. In fact I've seen it used incorrectly so many times (as in 'he would loose control') that I start questioning my own knowledge of the correct spelling. I feel like like Will in the Inbetweeners after he's been revising too long and starts staring at his own work asking 'is this a word? It doesn't look like a word'.

I agree absolutely. What's even worse as that this kind of thing has invaded the realm of the spoken word also. My 15 year old daughter (and all of her friends), despite having no previous problems with phonation, insist on pronouncing "th" as "f"; "fing" instead of "thing". This will cause me to have a stroke. She claims that using correct pronunciation "makes her sound posh"...so why it would be en vogue to make yourself intentionally sound stupid, I have no idea.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree absolutely. What's even worse as that this kind of thing has invaded the realm of the spoken word also. My 15 year old daughter (and all of her friends), despite having no previous problems with phonation, insist on pronouncing "th" as "f"; "fing" instead of "thing". This will cause me to have a stroke. She claims that using correct pronunciation "makes her sound posh"...so why it would be en vogue to make yourself intentionally sound stupid, I have no idea.

I believe it comes down to what they see & hear on television.

If Jordan, Jade Goody and other celebrities of that ilk don't speak properly it becomes the "in thing" for youngsters to do.

It winds me up something chronic.

• Paid Members
If Jordan, Jade Goody and other celebrities of that ilk don't speak properly it becomes the "in thing" for youngsters to do.

For the last couple of years I'd say that Goody's vocabulary has shown a marked improvement.

She claims that using correct pronunciation "makes her sound posh"...so why it would be en vogue to make yourself intentionally sound stupid, I have no idea.

I agree with her on some of that but "fing" does get on my nerves.

I don't really use correct pronunciation myself I think I'm what they used to call a H dropper.

The way I talk I for example instead of saying Potato I'll say tater (I think saying Potato is quite posh) but that is the way my Mum speaks and was the way my grandparents and great grand parents spoke

• Paid Members
this is how I remember the wiring colour coding system for electronic resistors.

'Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Virgins Go Without.' Each word represents the first letter of the colours in the code which are; black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey and white.

TripleA! You got that from the BBC, didn't you? :)

A teacher has been reprimanded for communicating a racist and sexual rhyme while teaching a pupil at a Sussex school.

James Hersey, 68, was found guilty of unacceptable professional conduct by the General Teaching Council.

The hearing heard he was teaching electronics to a Year 11 pupil at Oriel High School in Crawley when the incident happened in March last year.

Mr Hersey said he was a caring teacher who had made a mistake.

The disciplinary hearing was told Mr Hersey was teaching a student a rhyme to help remember the sequence for the colour coding of resistors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12584669

• Paid Members
this is how I remember the wiring colour coding system for electronic resistors.

'Black Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Virgins Go Without.' Each word represents the first letter of the colours in the code which are; black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey and white.

TripleA! You got that from the BBC, didn't you? :)

A teacher has been reprimanded for communicating a racist and sexual rhyme while teaching a pupil at a Sussex school.

James Hersey, 68, was found guilty of unacceptable professional conduct by the General Teaching Council.

The hearing heard he was teaching electronics to a Year 11 pupil at Oriel High School in Crawley when the incident happened in March last year.

Mr Hersey said he was a caring teacher who had made a mistake.

The disciplinary hearing was told Mr Hersey was teaching a student a rhyme to help remember the sequence for the colour coding of resistors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12584669

I got it from the news thread on here, which got it from BBC, aye.

speaking of shit full of themselves "musicians" Katy Perry just came out with this cracker, proving that having a cracking rack is the only impressive aspect of her.

"Dear tabloid media aka FILTH: pls note I expressed an overall feeling bout product placement, their roles in vids & the art of them being

She claims that using correct pronunciation "makes her sound posh"...so why it would be en vogue to make yourself intentionally sound stupid, I have no idea.

It's called "covert prestige" and is actually quite a common sociolinguistic phenomenon. Essentially, amongst middle class kids, there's a tendency to shift pronunciation towards lower class accents, or towards accents associated with "edgy" or "street" social groups.

It's why the glottal stop became so prevalent amongst teenagers and young adults in the 90s, thanks to Blur and their fake cockney accents.

Archived