Interesting ratings from wrestling on uk tv

quote the raven

Do that many people really watch Raw live?

When it is taken in account the amount of people that record/Sky Plus etc. plus as another poster mentioned about the ample opportunity to catch a replay or recap show , that is quite an impressive number.

I'm pretty positive that a lot of those numbers come from people Sky Plussing it.

The few people I know who do watch Raw these days do so on the repeat later in the week.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of the difference in accessibility between Sky sports and freeview, TNA have a great boast for themselves with their UK figures. Fair play. Challenge is quality, having retuned the telly the other week at Uni it has opened up a a gate to all these great mid 2000 game shows I didn't even know existed the first time round.

When it is taken in account the amount of people that record/Sky Plus etc. plus as another poster mentioned about the ample opportunity to catch a replay or recap show , that is quite an impressive number.

I'm pretty positive that a lot of those numbers come from people Sky Plussing it.

The few people I know who do watch Raw these days do so on the repeat later in the week.

Ah, I didn

Ah, I didn’t think BARB figures took recordings into account, though after a quick investigation on BARB’s website, it appears they do:

VCR, DVDR, PVR playback and "catch-up" VOD services is reported if it takes place within 7 days of the original broadcast. This viewing (known as timeshift) is then added to the live data to produce the final, minute-by-minute consolidated audience, available 8 days after the original transmission date. Consolidated data is the ‘BARB Gold Standard’ that is used by the industry to report and trade on

Am I right in thinking that Raw's Amercian viewing figure doesn't take recording into account?

It depends what figures you look at. RAW figures we usually get are overnight figures, the day after the showing, which don't take use recordings. This is the same for UK programmes. A couple of weeks after the program has aired (I assume this is the same for the USA) we get the 'officials' which do count recordings.

The ratings in the OP 'officials'. So count recordings. We rarely get overnight figures for RAW and Impact as the ratings are not significant enough to get published. Am sure they are available though if you have access to these figures.

• Paid Members
Wrestling used to get audiences of 5 million or more. Today's figures are crap in comparison.

In the UK? I dont think so. Even at the peak in 1999/2000 American figures wernt massively higher than 5m.

He means on Saturday afternoons for WOS.

Wrestling used to get audiences of 5 million or more. Today's figures are crap in comparison.

In the UK? I dont think so. Even at the peak in 1999/2000 American figures wernt massively higher than 5m.

He means on Saturday afternoons for WOS.

World of Sport regularly got well over 10 million viewers in the 70's & 80's - possibly even 15-20 million depending on who you believe.

That's pretty staggering, even when you consider there were only three channels.

• Paid Members
Being an 80s child it makes me sad to see what happened to wrestling in this country, those WOS days are defently never coming back.

Wait a minute - I thought you hated WOS?

Audience figures for all TV shows have dropped since the days of WOS but not by anything an extent as they have for wrestling, from 5 million or more, to little over 100,000. It's a shame. It's related to the economy more than anything I guess.

It's due to where it's being shown though. If Raw was being shown Saturdays at 9.00pm on BBC1/ITV1 it would be getting 2 million plus. Just simply because of the channel it is on.

• Paid Members

Times change though. Shows like Bullseye used to get 15 million viewers. More variety these days. I dont watch Raw or Impact on TV, even though its just as easily for me to do that. I usually just download it. It seems less of a fart on, as wierd as that sounds. I cant be the only wrestling fan who'd rather watch it at a later date than actually pay for it or even watch it on TV for free. There seems to be better things to do these days. What else was on the telly when World of Sport was on in the 70s?

• Moderators
Audience figures for all TV shows have dropped since the days of WOS but not by anything an extent as they have for wrestling, from 5 million or more, to little over 100,000. It's a shame. It's related to the economy more than anything I guess.

You can't compare a Saturday afternoon on ITV in a three channel world, to 10pm on a Tuesday on a niche game show channel in a multi channel world.

Archived