marty janetty - what if?

nicholasjackson

also if he could of found a tag partner (obviously not as good as shawn) he could of had fued with the brilliant money inc

Interesting point actually.

I disagree with the poster who felt the Jannetty/Michaels feud would have just been a quickie to elevate Michaels and leave Jannetty on the scrapheap basically. There was plenty of mileage in that rivalry imo, it could easily have stretched into 1993 on it's own back. Shawn pretty much drifted through 1992 doing not much of anything until Survivor Series anyway, and both were over as hell. If Marty had stayed, i could've saw it stretching until the 1993 Rumble or even WM9, before it was blown-off and they both went their separate ways.

No way would they have done nothing with Marty Jannetty. It's the general consensus that he wasn't going to go as far as Shawn Michaels, but he would definitely have been credible at IC title and tag title level for the next half decade or more. He was only 29 years old at the time of the Rockers split and was far too talented to be in the 'Virgil' spot.

But hypothetically speaking, assuming the Michaels feud was over by WM8 or Summer '92 and they were thinking of putting Jannetty in another exciting babyface tag team, they had a perfect prospective partner in Owen Hart who was in between tagging with The Anvil and the Birdman. The only question would be if Owen would change a letter to become "The Rocker", or would Marty bring a new dimension to the name "High Energy"?

Just had a search, most of my thoughts on Jannetty are covered in a previous thread from a few months back. If in the unlikely event that anyone's remotely interested in reading it, here it is (pages 3 & 4). It's a bit long and over too many posts to paste in here.

• Paid Members

as a 6 year old mark I always liked Jannetty not because he was a superhero who could never lose, but because he always did something that stuck in my head (usually some crazy move), in 1993 Jannetty might have just been behind Bret Hart as the best worker that year, his stuff was steaksause

as a 6 year old mark I always liked Jannetty not because he was a superhero who could never lose, but because he always did something that stuck in my head (usually some crazy move), in 1993 Jannetty might have just been behind Bret Hart as the best worker that year, his stuff was steaksause

1993 the year of Evil Doink,Bigelow,Perfect,?

• Paid Members
He didnt seem to have any interview ability (even on his shoot interview its hard to understand what he's actually saying), so he'd never have made it to Michaels level, but he should have been knocking about the uppercard in the 90s more than he did.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Marty was never going to make it to the top because he lacked the carisma to back up his in ring skills, but he would have been a good hand to keep around.

1993 the year of Evil Doink,Bigelow,Perfect,?

Evil Doink was great IMO, it should never have worked and yet somehow it did. Just got a bit lame once he turned face and introduced Dink.

Archived