Chaperone Fails to Register at Box Office

Super Cena

• Paid Members
Personally i think some of the WWE films are alright, i enjoyed The Marine, See No Evil, The Condemmed and 12 Rounds sort of in the same way i enjoy films like True Lies, Cliff Hanger and whatever else ITV2 churns out to try and fill up the channel.

They're not in the same league as True Lies and Cliffhanger. They are expertly crafted action films. The WWE efforts are completely terrible and derivative toss.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally i think some of the WWE films are alright, i enjoyed The Marine, See No Evil, The Condemmed and 12 Rounds sort of in the same way i enjoy films like True Lies, Cliff Hanger and whatever else ITV2 churns out to try and fill up the channel.

They're not in the same league as True Lies and Cliffhanger. They are expertly crafted action films. The WWE efforts are completely terrible and derivative toss.

Oh no i agree with you on that but i'm saying i enjoy them in the same sort of way in that if they were on the telly and there was nothing else on i'd most likely give them a watch if that makes any sense.

Like a road trip film where a group of wrestlers travel to the next arena in a hired car and they get in to lots of trouble. etc bollocks etc.

CM Punk mentioned on the Art of Wrestling podcast that he'd pitched a remake of Canonball Run to WWE Films but they rejected it. Shame as it sounds like it could be worth a watch.

• Paid Members

I noticed Knucklehead was on sale in Sainsbury's when I looked last week. It was at something like number 12 in the DVD chart, so it must be selling. The big supermarkets always seem to have copies of The Condemned, The Marine and 12 Rounds on the shelves too. I reckon WWE must do pretty well from the DVD sales of these films once they drop in price. It's no surprise at all that nobody wants to watch The Chaperone at the cinema, but when it's down to

I had a quick swing via Wikipedia and its seems to me that income wise WWE films is doing rather well for a mere side project:

Some facts (according to Wiki).

- WWE Films did co produce films such as Scorpion King and Walking Tall.

- The highest box office rating a WWE film received in the US was 6. Which isn't too shabby (though not all films fared that well).

- John Cena has proven to be biggest star so far with his film "The Marine" earning around $22,000,000 in the box office (globally).

Of their own films, they made the following in the (global)box office:

- See No Evil: $18.4 million

- The Marine: $22.1 million

- The Condemned: $8.6 million

- 12 Rounds: $17.3 million

And thats NOT including rental gross:

- See No Evil: $16.5 million

- The Marine: $30.5 million

- The Condemned: $22.3 million

- Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia: $4.2 million

Really... that ain't too shabby... (providing the costs to produce each film wasn't TOO high).

• Paid Members
Really... that ain't too shabby... (providing the costs to produce each film wasn't TOO high).

The Condemmed and The Marine cost quite a bit to make and promote if I recall. I remember The Condemmed especially almost put the WWE Films project to bed. The money they lose per year is down, but during the era when they were making the likes of the Marine and the Condemmed, those films were bombing famously. The annual report says that they've been losing $1million per film for their recent efforts, which the best they done so far.

• Paid Members
Like a road trip film where a group of wrestlers travel to the next arena in a hired car and they get in to lots of trouble. etc bollocks etc.

CM Punk mentioned on the Art of Wrestling podcast that he'd pitched a remake of Canonball Run to WWE Films but they rejected it. Shame as it sounds like it could be worth a watch.

I reckon that if there's anyone on WWE's roster who'd be decent hand in a movie, it'd be Punk. He seems to have that kind of presence in front of a camera - imposing, self-assured, but laid-back. Look-wise reminds me a little of Vincent Gallo (when he has longer hair of course).

The only WWE movie I've been anywhere near tempted to see was 12 Rounds - is it worth even a stoned viewing?

• Paid Members
I had a quick swing via Wikipedia and its seems to me that income wise WWE films is doing rather well for a mere side project:

Some facts (according to Wiki).

- WWE Films did co produce films such as Scorpion King and Walking Tall.

- The highest box office rating a WWE film received in the US was 6. Which isn't too shabby (though not all films fared that well).

- John Cena has proven to be biggest star so far with his film "The Marine" earning around $22,000,000 in the box office (globally).

Of their own films, they made the following in the (global)box office:

- See No Evil: $18.4 million

- The Marine: $22.1 million

- The Condemned: $8.6 million

- 12 Rounds: $17.3 million

And thats NOT including rental gross:

- See No Evil: $16.5 million

- The Marine: $30.5 million

- The Condemned: $22.3 million

- Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia: $4.2 million

See No Evil apparently had a budget of $8million (not including advertising and other costs) and was part funded by Lionsgate. Horror is one of the cheapest genres to produce so you can assume that Behind Enemy Lines cost between $8-10million to make along with probably another 20-30% on marketing. Its currently made back about $5million in rentals so its looking at at least a $4million loss (All of it WWEs money)

The Scorpion King and Walking Tall were WWE films purely because the makers wanted to market them as starring Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

They're making the sort of derivative crap that usually goes straight-to-DVD. They are yet to make a good movie and the only good thing I've heard about any of them is that John Cena's surprisingly good in 12 Rounds. I reckon they should make an arthouse flick based on a long cold winter in Berlin starring Heath Slater as a post-grad art student drawn into a hedonistic world and featuring an evocative lesbian scene featuring Eve and Maryse.

• Paid Members

I reckon that if there's anyone on WWE's roster who'd be decent hand in a movie, it'd be Punk. He seems to have that kind of presence in front of a camera - imposing, self-assured, but laid-back. Look-wise reminds me a little of Vincent Gallo (when he has longer hair of course).

The only WWE movie I've been anywhere near tempted to see was 12 Rounds - is it worth even a stoned viewing?

I watched it round a mates house while he was getting ready to go on the lash. I turned it off after 10 minutes and watched Eastenders. Dull stuff.

Archived