rick rude/wcw

Flash

• Paid Members
Once his feud with Bossman (which should have been pretty good I think) was over I think he'd have been back in the IC Title picture for sure especially after Perfect suffered the back injury. The problem that always gets mentioned with Bret Hart's first IC Title run was that he didn't really have "anyone to work with" due to Perfect's injury. I think Rude/Hart feud would have happened around then.

He may have had few months in-between then feuding with The British Bulldog or someone over who had the 'better body' which is something they could have revisited in 1992.

A Bret Hart vs Rick Rude feud would have been great stuff. Come to think of it did they ever even meet in the ring? I don't even recall them meeting in a tag or 6 man much less singles.

And Rude in WCW was a great heel. I got into wrestling through WCW's run on ITV in the early 90's and I think Rude was the first wrestler I hated. He was such a prick in the feud with Sting and always had his mates the Dangerous Alliance helping him. Now when I watch it back Rude was cool as fuck but as a kid I despised him.

To me the Dangerous Alliance were the greatest stable in wrestling history and Rude was the main man. And that group was only together what, a year maybe less? Only the nWo can rival them for me and even that went a bit shit to me when it became a 40 man group or whatever.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
A Bret Hart vs Rick Rude feud would have been great stuff. Come to think of it did they ever even meet in the ring? I don't even recall them meeting in a tag or 6 man much less singles.

I don't think they ever did grapple up.

Hart was still in the Hart Foundation when Rude was getting his big push and when Hart was getting HIS push, Rude was gone. They missed each other, like trains in the night.

EDIT: Hold on. I'm sure Hart had a run-in with Rude when he (Rude) was running interference for Curt Hennig in WCW. I seem to recall a photo of Rude just about to Irish-Whip Hart into the turnbuckle. It was in Powerslam one time.

• Paid Members

Rude applied a Rude Awakening to Hart after his match with Hennig at Uncensored 98 (which Bret won by submission).

Maybe it was meant to lead to something grander, but at Spring Stampede Hennig (w/Rude) wrestled Davey Boy (w/Anvil) so who knows. WcW in a nutshell that.

EDIT: Hold on. I'm sure Hart had a run-in with Rude when he (Rude) was running interference for Curt Hennig in WCW. I seem to recall a photo of Rude just about to Irish-Whip Hart into the turnbuckle. It was in Powerslam one time.

If I remember rightly i think Hennig and Rude had some sort of crap mini-fued with Neidhart that involved handcuffing him to the ropes and kicking his fat ass. As Bret had just arrived and not yet joined the NWO he was naturally dragged into/down with it.

I don't think they ever did grapple up.

Hart was still in the Hart Foundation when Rude was getting his big push and when Hart was getting HIS push, Rude was gone. They missed each other, like trains in the night.

It could've happened in 88. After Rude finished his program with Roberts this could've been a shit hot feud. Hart had started turning to singles matches (this was when WWF magazine had him on the front of the magazine solo) I don't know if they ever did square up on a house show - anyone here know?

• Paid Members
Hart had started turning to singles matches (this was when WWF magazine had him on the front of the magazine solo) I don't know if they ever did square up on a house show - anyone here know?

Bret's solo runs on the house show circuit in the middle of '88 had him up against mostly Bad News, some times Bravo and a handful of Danny Davis matches, while Rude was programmed with Don Muraco for a while after 'Mania before working Jake for pretty much the rest of the year.

However they had at least one match during an April '89 tour of Italy when Rude was Intercontinental Champ, sandwiched between Bret's lengthy domestic runs with Honky and Perfect. That's about it.

• Paid Members

Apparantly they did have one singles match in 1989 in Italy.

From Bret Hart's site

Rick Rude beat The Hitman the only time I ever fought him. (Italy, 1989). I was making the transition from tags to singles and I don't know if it was that Rick wanted to see what I had or show me what I needed. I always knew he was tough but that's the day I found out that he always gave 110%, no matter how the small the town or if the cameras weren't rolling.

This was from the column Bret wrote when Rude died.

Archived