rick rude/wcw

Flash

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was at the height of my time as a wrestling fan and I remember it being a big deal in so much as it was the first big time WWF wrestler to jump ship to what was, at that time at least, the lesser organisation. A lot of stars had gone the other way but here was one who just over a year earlier had been main event status taking on the world champion. I wouldn't say it was the exact reason but it certainly contributed to WCW becoming much better and really becoming shit hot in 1992. 1992! Now that was a year in wrestling!!

Rude's falling out with Vince was due to Vince still advertising him for house shows when he was injured, and Rick thinking he deserved to be paid for the shows since his name was being used to draw a house. Vince disagreed.

I'd love to have heard that conversation.

And how did WCW book Ravishing Rick's Debut?

m_5668faa4a76343d1936deaccc0892ea4.jpg

Shiavone ruined that one for me. "That looks like a, um, Rude Awakening".

yep once he said that everyone knew it was rude, to be fair the disguise wasnt very goog

i think he's had all top fueds he could( warrior, jake , piper etc) apart from savage who was heel anyway , hogan and him wouldnt work together, once he'd lost 2 fueds with the warrior he'd only go down the card so it had to be wcw for him

Forgive my poor memory but does Rick Rude fall into the category of "should have been a World Champion but never was"?

Personally I never saw that in him. I think it was a combination of lack of moves combined with what was a bit of a comedy gimmick. He rightly deserved the IC and US titles he won, and in fact I would've liked to have seen him have had another run at the IC title. A tag team with Perfect would've been pretty awesome and could've been definite belt holders.

Forgive my poor memory but does Rick Rude fall into the category of "should have been a World Champion but never was"?

If memory serves me correctly, weren't WCW gearing up Rude for the WCW title around the time he had that career ending injury? Not necessarily as champion, but to be in the title picture. He held the International title around that time.

• Paid Members
If Beer Money, Joe or A.J were to get signed by WWE, that would be a BIG thing in my opinion.

I don't think it would be. I don't think most of WWE's audience would know who those men are. Because looking at the viewing figures, the number of people who watch TNA at all is a fraction of those that watch WWE.

Archived