Elimination Chamber Discussion

Super Cena

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until yesterday I actually totally forgot the Raw Elimination Chamber wasn't for the Title and it was The Miz vs. Jerry Lawler for the Title. I know that seems to say I don't care about that match and I'm putting it down but I was actually looking forward to it to be honest, it's not the same old run of the mill Title match we're used to. I think Lawler not being at Raw this week to promote the match with Miz has kind of made me forget about that match, I know it was something no one could help as Lawler not being that was to do with his Mother sadly passing away but yeah not having the match bigged up like that and then having The Rock appear and being the biggest talking point in wrestling for months just made me forget about it.

I am really looking forward to Elimination Chamber though. As I said I am looking forward to the WWE Title match, I could see WWE trying to shock us and have Lawler win only to then lose on Monday to The Miz when he has his rematch clause put in place, just for the sheer point of trying Lawler finally getting a Title run and shocking the fans only to then have The Miz have the belt going into Wrestlemania anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens regarding Ziggler's spot and I hope the obvious ones to win, Cena and Edge aren't the two who do win, I'd quite like it to be Punk (although facing The Miz at Wrestlemania probably wouldn't be the best match, two heels and I suppose it wouldn't be two massive names for a Wrestlemania main event) and Barrett (again, I can't imagine Barrett and Del Rio happening, for both the same reasons as before and Del Rio already seems to be set up to face either Rey or Edge).

Anyway as for my predictions:

Raw Elimination Chamber Match

John Cena vs. King Sheamus vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth vs. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk

- Pretty much explained above, Cena vs. The Miz looks like the likely WWE Title match at Wrestlemania, possibly with some kind of participation by The Rock, maybe special referee or something, again with The Rock mentioning both The Miz and Cena in his promo on Raw it seems even more likely. However it couls be a set up for fans to expect it, then they do something different, can't see it though.

World Heavyweight Championship

SmackDown Elimination Chamber Match

Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett vs. Drew McIntyre

- Looks like it'll either be Edge or Rey considering Del Rio who will definetly face the World Champion and both have had history with Del Rio and out of the two I'm going for Edge as it looks as though Rey's Wrestlemania opponent will be Cody Rhodes. I could even see Rhodes being a last minute replacement for Ziggler, maybe have all of the men in their pods, Rey in the ring and it's announced the replacement is...WOAH! You're only smoke and mirrors...Rhodes comes down in his mask and he keeps going after Rey, maybe have Rey pin him and then go on to take on one of the heels, maybe the heel has pulled himself up by the ropes after Rey has already beat him up a bit before getting rid of Rhodes and Rey goes for the 619 only for Cody to cheapshot him and have the other guy preform his finisher and eliminate Rey, then that'd give Rey a reason to want to face Rhodes at Wrestlemania.

WWE Championship

The Miz vs. Jerry Lawler

- As mentioned above, Lawler to win his first WWE Title run, just to shock fans who are expecting Miz to win, then Miz will simply have his rematch clause put in place for Raw on Monday and win it back.

Intercontinental Championship

Kofi Kingston vs. Alberto Del Rio

- Not too sure on this one but I guess having Del Rio going into Wrestlemania as Intercontinental Champion will make him a more credible challenger to the World Title, not only will he have won the Rumble he will be holding gold already. The only problem I currently have with Del Rio in the Wrestlemania main event is the doubt at the back of my mind that he has shown he is successful enough to actually be there, holding the Intercontinental Title fgoing into Wrestlemania will make him seem a much more credible contender for the World Title and seem more worthy of being in the Wrestlemania main event. Also to big the match up even more they could even turn the match into a World Heavyweight Title and Intercontinental Title match, both the Titles on the line, winner takes all, it'd definetly have me more interested in it and also give the Intercontinental Title some credibility back. Rather than make it seem as though the Title isn't even worthy of a match at Wrestlemania as I can see Kofi being in the Money in the Bank match, why not just have the challenger to the World Title have it and add it to the World Title match, it isn't taking up any extra time on Wrestlemania and makes the Intercontinental Title seem a lot more credible than it would just being around the waist of one of the Money in the Bank competitors. It makes it seem the Money in the Bank is worth more than the Intercontinental Title, which I suppose it might be in some ways but in others the Intercontinental Title is as it is actually a Title rather than a number one contender's match and not having what was once seen as the second biggest Title in the company on the biggest show of the year really is putting it down.

WWE Tag Team Championship

Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov vs. Heath Slater & Justin Gabriel

- Well I think it's time for Slater and Gabriel to get these Titles, as much as everyone loves Santino I think these Titles should be Slater's and Gabriel's as they aren't doing anything for Santino or Kozlov but with Slater and Gabriel they will make Corre seem like a successful stable with gold and also by having these two as Champions it may make the Titles seem more important with two guys who are part of a dangerous stable rather than two guys who are kind of a comedy duo with one of them having a very weak looking finisher. The build up to this match also has me thinking and hoping it's Slater and Gabriel's time to win them.

• Paid Members

I know it's not about the Elimination Chamber exactly, but it's really shit when you realise the companies two top heels are Vickie Guerrero and Michael Cole. For those reasons it's getting harder lately to care about PPVs. Yeah CM Punk is a top heel too, but even he doesn't get as much time as Cole or Guerrero. Everyone seems to just be a name now.

Great write up by TIB. All I'd disagree with is:

The Miz vs. Jerry Lawler

I can't see Lawler being given the sympathy run even if only for one night. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. However, I think the obvious conclusion here will be Michael Cole costing Lawler the match again, setting some kind of confrontation up for Wrestlemania.

This is the PPV leading into Wrestlemania. Any remaining angles to sell the show really need to be in place on this PPV or Raw the following night. With that in mind, I would hope/expect to see some involvement from at least a few of the following:

1. Cody Rhodes - the aforementioned Mysterio interference would be suitable here.

2. Nexus v Corre - I'd have thought some sort of Mania confrontation between the factions would be a given, hence something at EC would be a good catalyst. Corre costing Punk & Nexus costing Barrett in the Chamber maybe?

3. Diesel - I would be sorely disappointed if he doesn't appear at Wrestlemania. For that to happen, is figures he'd need a match or at least a grievance. If Show-Diesel is going to be on the card, as the Rumble showdown hinted at, then the ideal scenario would be for Diesel to cost Show in the Smackdown chamber match. Rock's return (and massive hype) are a surefire indicator to WWE that they'll be getting some nostalgia buys from lapsed viewers. Adding someone like Diesel to the card seems a logical thing to do.

4. Dolph Ziggler - he's been sacked from Smackdown. Figures he'll show up on Raw, ideally by costing someone their place in the Chamber match, setting up nicely a feud leading into Mania

5. Triple H - A big, telegraphed return does not appear on the cards. A surprise return either at EC or at Raw is a shoe-in. How is anybody's guess - there's speculation he's going to be challenging Undertaker. However, the obvious feud I'd have thought would be with Sheamus. I'm writing this and I've realised that ALL of the previous 4 of my ideas (and indeed my take on the Miz-Lawler match) involve someone interfering, so I hope the booking team are more creative than I am to achieve their goals.

I should stress: big as The Rock is, and happy as I am to see him back in any capacity, this alone does not make a Wrestlemania. All we seem to be expecting so far is Miz-Cena and Edge-Rio. Which is a bit shit. I have faith though that Elimination Chamber and Monday's Raw will be huge steps in building the PPV. (Note: That doesn't mean I think Sting is arriving. Then again, I never thought Rock was coming back either.)

I know it's not about the Elimination Chamber exactly, but it's really shit when you realise the companies two top heels are Vickie Guerrero and Michael Cole. For those reasons it's getting harder lately to care about PPVs. Yeah CM Punk is a top heel too, but even he doesn't get as much time as Cole or Guerrero. Everyone seems to just be a name now.

I think that's a very negative way to view the situation: Vickie G's tremendous in her role as Ziggler's manager and completely deserves the heat that she gets. She's got DZ's character over perfectly and Ziggler is now on the verge of becoming a bona-fide main eventer, a position which he has every opportunity to be in for the next five years.

Del Rio, Barrett, Ziggler, Punk, McIntyre etc are all superb heels in their own right, and I think that the fact that Vickie and Michael Cole are arguably the top two heels in the company is more of a compliment to their abilities than a knock on the other heels in the company.

Vickie Guerrero's been cutting some of the best promo's in the business lately and Michael Cole is absolutely world class in his role.

I think it's unfair to say that it's hard to care about PPVs, because the majority of fans seem to be enjoying them of late; the RR was brilliant, the EC looks promising enough and 'Mania's after that. Extreme Rules will tie up whatever loose ends may be left from WM the following month, which usually results in an entertaining enough show - that will take us six months into the calendar year before there's a PPV that isn't immediately promising.

• Paid Members

I think that's a very negative way to view the situation: Vickie G's tremendous in her role as Ziggler's manager and completely deserves the heat that she gets. She's got DZ's character over perfectly and Ziggler is now on the verge of becoming a bona-fide main eventer, a position which he has every opportunity to be in for the next five years.

Del Rio, Barrett, Ziggler, Punk, McIntyre etc are all superb heels in their own right, and I think that the fact that Vickie and Michael Cole are arguably the top two heels in the company is more of a compliment to their abilities than a knock on the other heels in the company.

Vickie Guerrero's been cutting some of the best promo's in the business lately and Michael Cole is absolutely world class in his role.

I think it's unfair to say that it's hard to care about PPVs, because the majority of fans seem to be enjoying them of late; the RR was brilliant, the EC looks promising enough and 'Mania's after that. Extreme Rules will tie up whatever loose ends may be left from WM the following month, which usually results in an entertaining enough show - that will take us six months into the calendar year before there's a PPV that isn't immediately promising.

Rumble and Mania are always ace though, even the shit ones are usually a spectacle. I'm not saying there's no good heels, but Nexus/Corre have lost a ton of steam lately, Ziggler should be awesome but being teamed with Vickie isn't letting him get more freedom, Del Rio and Punk are good, and Miz was looking to be at the top of his game until he won the belt and started feuding with a 60 year old announcer.

Michael Cole and Vickie have earned the right to be that good as a heel, but when each of their respective shows are focused pretty much all on them (Cole and the Mystery GM thing, and Guerrero taking over Smackdown) then you wonder what went wrong. It says absolutely loads that EC tomorrow is the first time that the WWE Title match doesn't involve Orton or Cena since 2008, and it's because it's Miz vs Jerry Lawler.

TIB, I think Kofi vs Alberto is Non Title.

After looking at WWE.com I think you're right, which is a shame really as I thought the Intercontinental Champion vs. the World Heavyweight Champion for both Titles at Wrestlemania would have been a brilliant way to hype the match up and make both Del Rio and the Intercontinental Title more credible. Oh well, here's hoping there's a last minute announcement saying it's for the Title. Either way I'm going with Del Rio though, there's no way he'd lose this match now as it'd kill his credibility, the only way I could see him losing is if someone interferes but still that'd be dangerous for his credibility too.

Also I'm guessing we'll see another video package for The Undertaker's return/possible mystery second figure. If there is a mystery second figure I think we might see solid proof that there is definetly a second figure in it, maybe have a view from legs of the mystery figure with the cabin shown between the legs, or with the big trenchcoat it might be a bit difficult to do a between leg shot so maybe a show of the legs walking towards the cabin and then Taker will open the door.

• Paid Members
4. Dolph Ziggler - he's been sacked from Smackdown. Figures he'll show up on Raw, ideally by costing someone their place in the Chamber match, setting up nicely a feud leading into Mania

Makes sense, he's come along leaps & bounds over the past several months so it makes sense to move him over to the premium brand where he will get more exposure.

If I were a betting man, I'd say a feud with John Morrison is on the cards. His stock has also risen recently and the two could have a very good series of matches. Plus could tie in with Dolph's comment about Morrison being a glorified acrobat, or something (this week on Twitter). As it stands neither have anything penciled in for Mania, and if they are dropping the MITB match now they have the PPV, perhaps Dolph & Morrison will have a gimmick match. Or a triple threat with Daniel Bryan.

On a separate issue, I just watched R-Truth job to Brodus Clay CLEAN in a few minutes on NXT. That's a way to build one of the participants just before the PPV :confused:

Makes sense, he's come along leaps & bounds over the past several months so it makes sense to move him over to the premium brand where he will get more exposure.

If I were a betting man, I'd say a feud with John Morrison is on the cards. His stock has also risen recently and the two could have a very good series of matches. Plus could tie in with Dolph's comment about Morrison being a glorified acrobat, or something (this week on Twitter). As it stands neither have anything penciled in for Mania, and if they are dropping the MITB match now they have the PPV, perhaps Dolph & Morrison will have a gimmick match. Or a triple threat with Daniel Bryan.

On a separate issue, I just watched R-Truth job to Brodus Clay CLEAN in a few minutes on NXT. That's a way to build one of the participants just before the PPV :confused:

See, I would have loved to see Morrison/Miz at No Wa...sorry I mean Elimination Chamber. It would have worked well to have Miz in a great competetive match leading into 'Mania considering the history between the two and it would have given Morrison a rub as well going into the biggest event of the year. Saying that a Dolph/Morrison/Bryan feud would be entertaining and would produce some fine matches, even though I feel Dolph might get lost in the Raw midcard. Which would be a shame as he seems to be a guy that's constantly improving. Saying that, I wanna see another match involving The Zig and Bryan again as their match at Bragging Rights was the second best match of last year (in WWE) after Shawn/Taker in my humble opinion.

Also, fuck R-Truth. He's fucked up promos and spots recently. And it's not exactly like he's that good a technician where he makes a big difference to the roster. All he's got going for him is saying "What's Up". Wow. For some strange reason though the missus likes him. Even to the point where I was slating him, she said "Ahhhhh" like he was some sort of disabled puppy about to be put down.

Archived