Face paint in wrestling - will there ever be a big star wearer again?

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've no idea why WWE haven't attempted to create a new Road Warriors /Demolition /Powers of Pain in the last ten years.

I reckon you could get almost any two muscle-bound monsters, slap a load of bright face paint on them then give them a manager, a killer double-team finisher and a string of local jobbers to smash for a few months and it would get over absolutely massive.

They tried it with Animal and Heidenreich.

Not really, that was just one final push for the Legion Of Doom brand. Animal was certainly no monster at that time, just a fat veteran. Heidenreich had previously had any monster potential ripped away by being booked as a comedy nutcase. It wasn't a case of WWE putting together two new talents in an attempt to revive the monster tag team format.

• Paid Members
Facepaint is now sort of seen as cartoonish and not 'cool' to get behind for the younger generation. Although I personally loved the likes of Demolition and Legion of Doom. Jeff Hardy has managed to get over with his entrances and face paint very well.

John Cena is cartoonish and not cool, and he's over like rover with the kids. I don't know why you would assume kids wouldn't get behind a guy with facepaint.

Facepaint is now sort of seen as cartoonish and not 'cool' to get behind for the younger generation. Although I personally loved the likes of Demolition and Legion of Doom. Jeff Hardy has managed to get over with his entrances and face paint very well.

John Cena is cartoonish and not cool, and he's over like rover with the kids. I don't know why you would assume kids wouldn't get behind a guy with facepaint.

Big difference between wearing makeup and wearing bright colours and caps. The last big 2 succesful facepaint wearing wrestlers have been Hardy & Sting. Both have betrayed 'dark' characters too.

Archived