Face paint in wrestling - will there ever be a big star wearer again?

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You wouldnt get a plain looking male getting pushed and holding a major title unless their was a gimmick behind it. You have to have some form of look whether its ugly fucker green teeth or a bloke who looks like John Morrisons better looking brother. There's only so many places for spots on the female roster compared to the men, so they have the luxury of picking and choosing who they put onscreen. There's plenty of role's for ugly gits on the male roster. Its like that way in all walks of entertainment, so you cant knock them for it. You either want to buy a WWE Diva Mag to look at the hot girls on it or you want to watch Awesome Kong rip somebodies head off. Its the reason WWF sacked Todd Pettingill's co-host on Mania. Remember her?

tve75511-19950514-1877.gif

Stephanie Wiand? Barely - I believe her only pay-per-view appearance was at the 1995 Royal Rumble.

EDIT: Just Googled it. Apparently she was at In Your House 1 too.

• Paid Members
Stephanie Wiand? Barely - I believe her only pay-per-view appearance was at the 1995 Royal Rumble.

She was also on the pre-game show to WrestleMania 11 but not on the actual PPV, because when Jenny McCarthy and Pamela Anderson arrived at the arena, they had to lock her in the broom cupboard and burn all known photos of her ever working for the company.

If it was the right guy/girl/tag team then I'd say 'yes'.

Good call there. Women's wrestling in the US has always been dominated by attractive chicks. You'd never get a Macy Gray lookalike holding a belt in WWE or TNA no matter how skilled a mat technician they were. I wonder if a full face-paint do would work as a gimmick to get a less attractive Diva/ Knockout over?

Maybe yeah, I think it would have to be someone who had a strong look anyway but some big, roided-up woman in face paint could work. IIRC in her R.I.P. thread last year a lot of the comment's on Luna were about how her crazy hairstyles/make-up added to her deranged punk gimmick.

That or the Sensational Sherri route - I remember that evil cat look she did whilst she was still with the Macho King.

But like with everything else it needs the person doing it to have some charisma.

There are some workers out there (regardless of gender) who you could stick in the best wrestling outfit of all time, complete with facepaint and the coolest theme tune ever and they'd still bore everyone to death as soon as they got in the ring/on the mic.

You wouldnt get a plain looking male getting pushed and holding a major title unless their was a gimmick behind it. You have to have some form of look whether its ugly fucker green teeth or a bloke who looks like John Morrisons better looking brother. There's only so many places for spots on the female roster compared to the men, so they have the luxury of picking and choosing who they put onscreen. There's plenty of role's for ugly gits on the male roster. Its like that way in all walks of entertainment, so you cant knock them for it. You either want to buy a WWE Diva Mag to look at the hot girls on it or you want to watch Awesome Kong rip somebodies head off. Its the reason WWF sacked Todd Pettingill's co-host on Mania. Remember her?

tve75511-19950514-1877.gif

Ah, Stephanie Wiand - never knew that! I did wonder why she disappeared so suddenly since seemed to be getting more TV time from just hosting Mania (like one of those guys like that guy who used to host one of the weekend shows that never got on Raw/PPV) at the start of the year to actually getting role with as much mic time as the Toddster at IYH (which was awful) and then just vanished. You learn something new every day.

Yeah, I remember her hosting Mania with Todd Pettingill and Stan Lane. Never thought of her as being unattractive but her voice was annoying in a wrestling setting. If anything I just felt a bit sorry for her with the hatred she seemed to get from the smarks at the time. :(

Getting back on topic: I'm staunchly in favour of facepaint, bright colours, non-generic theme tunes but I do think you need the right person to do it. I mean Ultimate Warrior gets ripped apart by some for basically being a guy with a good look, good outfit and a great theme tune who was in the right place at the right time but the reality is not anyone could have played that character the way he did.

Edit - Here's what she's up to now: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1092834/

Revenge of the Bimbot Zombie Killers

• Paid Members
You wouldnt get a plain looking male getting pushed and holding a major title unless their was a gimmick behind it.

The Miz? CM Punk? Daniel Bryan? Chris Benoit? Eddie Guerrero? Owen Hart? There are millions of examples of male wrestlers who weren't anything special to look at.

• Paid Members
You wouldnt get a plain looking male getting pushed and holding a major title unless there was a gimmick behind it.

The Miz? CM Punk? Daniel Bryan? Chris Benoit? Eddie Guerrero? Owen Hart? There are millions of examples of male wrestlers who weren't anything special to look at.

CM Punk and The Miz are pure stars. They look great for a TV audience and their characters are perfect for the format. Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit pilled their bodies full of so many steriods they looked fit to pop, so they were obviously aware of their appearance. If they'd have walked into the WWF looking like they did in ECW, they'd have been doing jobs to Bob Holly on WWF Jakked. Daniel Bryan's whole character is that he looks, sounds and comes across as a pure spenk, and the heel commentator lets you know this every time he pops his head out the curtain. Owen Hart had a decent look for his place on the card and he had enough charisma to justify his place on the roster. If the men had one segement in the two hour show like the women do, WWE arent going to fill it with a bunch of ugly fuckers. Thats why I said "unless there was a gimmick behind it". Its a television show. The look is important to where the character is directed. Same with the women. If there was an ugly woman with charisma knocking about, I'm sure they'd push her for years and make her General Manager of Smackdown or something, but I doubt that day will ever come.

• Paid Members

I've no idea why WWE haven't attempted to create a new Road Warriors /Demolition /Powers of Pain in the last ten years.

I reckon you could get almost any two muscle-bound monsters, slap a load of bright face paint on them then give them a manager, a killer double-team finisher and a string of local jobbers to smash for a few months and it would get over absolutely massive.

You wouldnt get a plain looking male getting pushed and holding a major title unless their was a gimmick behind it.

I may be way off on this and the female posters on here might tell me I'm wrong but always I thought Guerrero was quite handsome in his own way. Dodgy taste in hairstyles for sure but I never thought of him as being an ugly man by any standards. He looked like he'd walked off the set of Zorro as I think it was ButchReedMark pointed out recently.

No way could he be compared to an actual ugly woman that WWE could hire. Same with Miz/Owen - facially there are a lot of guys out there who look way worse than them.

You're probably right about Punk not being the most handsome guy in the traditional sense but he clearly has a look/looks (considering how often he changes it) that works for him.

Fair point about Benoit and Bryan not having the type of face you would want to see on a billboard.

I may be way off on this and the female posters on here might tell me I'm wrong but always I thought Guerrero was quite handsome in his own way. Dodgy taste in hairstyles for sure but I never thought of him as being an ugly man by any standards. He looked like he'd walked off the set of Zorro as I think it was ButchReedMark pointed out recently.

No way could he be compared to an actual ugly woman that WWE could hire. Same with Miz/Owen - facially there are a lot of guys out there who look way worse than them.

You're probably right about Punk not being the most handsome guy in the traditional sense but he clearly has a look/looks (considering how often he changes it) that works for him.

Fair point about Benoit and Bryan not having the type of face you would want to see on a billboard.

The Uso's could with some "traditional" Samoan Face paint. It would certainly make them more unique. I always thought CM Punk was quite handsome!

I've no idea why WWE haven't attempted to create a new Road Warriors /Demolition /Powers of Pain in the last ten years.

I reckon you could get almost any two muscle-bound monsters, slap a load of bright face paint on them then give them a manager, a killer double-team finisher and a string of local jobbers to smash for a few months and it would get over absolutely massive.

They tried it with Animal and Heidenreich.

Archived