WWE

Super Cena

• Paid Members
Wrestlemania 27 - This years WM is lining up to be one of the best ever.

You are VERY optimisitc!

It'll be interesting to see where they go with him and even if it isn't anything spectacular, you know it'll be entertaining and the eventual Rock versus Cena clash will be iconic.

VERY optimistic. That match won't happen. Rock will never wrestle again as long as people keep sending him movie scripts.

The RR was one of the best pay per views of the past few years and one of the finest Rumble's ever.

Steady on.

Do you agree with me that this week's Raw was one of the best in the past decade?

It was, because it had a lengthy segment of the Rock. Removed the scar left by the Diva search segment where he called everyone "lemon fresh panties." Remove the Rock, and it was a very good episode, but there have been better.

But hell, I'd rather read your enthusiasm than a lot of stuff written by the "it's really shit" brigade, who strangely can't stop watching. Presumably to come on here to continue complaining about it being shit.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing I tend to skip through are the divas matches until the finishing sequence

I don't even bother watching the ends of the women's matches, that's how little they matter.

In my opinion Raw has only become worth watching since guys like CM Punk, The Miz, Daniel Bryan and John Morrison became the main attractions. Most of the established stars are stale as fuck, Cena continues to be total bore and it doesn't look like anyone is capable of dragging a decent match out of Orton. CM Punk appears to be one of the only people on the roster who owns more than one outfit.

A lot of people seem to be agreeing on one thing here - that Orton's stale.

I think the fact that I didn't watch much wrestling as it happened between '07 and '10 meant that I missed out on a lot of the Orton stuff meaning that he doesn't bother me a great deal. I can see why he would be considered stale though and I know that he's been involved in tons of paint-by-numbers stuff from reports and threads on here over the past few years.

I don't rate the 'Viper' gimmick very highly, I'll admit, but I don't find him to be offensively bad either. There's enough other entertaining stuff going on at the moment that it doesn't bother me whether Orton's doing anything exciting or not.

I think that WWE are trying to put over a lot of other stars' characters and gimmicks at the moment, Barrett, Del Rio, Ziggler, Corre et al and changing Orton's character a bit could maybe be something that they do over the summer.

• Paid Members

I never really got Orton, to be fair. He has his moments, and he looks great, but to me he's never struck me as the next man or anything. I remember when he was supposed to be the next Rick Rude. The arrogant and cocky heel who thought he was better than anyone else, but instead he's trying to be this Robocop-esque babyface. There's a million things to dislike about him (the good looking bugger!), so it shouldnt be hard for him to rub it in people's faces that he's the man. If you tell people enough, they'll start believing your the shit. I watched an interview with him on Lopez and he seems a funny and charismatic bloke. He doesnt come across to me as larger than life when he's on Raw doing his act. He's a complete bore.

I never really got Orton, to be fair. He has his moments, and he looks great, but to me he's never struck me as the next man or anything. I remember when he was supposed to be the next Rick Rude. The arrogant and cocky heel who thought he was better than anyone else, but instead he's trying to be this Robocop-esque babyface. I watched an interview with him on Lopez and he seems a funny and charismatic bloke. He doesnt come across to me as larger than life. He's a complete bore.

I certainly agree that he's overrated by a vast amount of fans and that he's never going to achieve the 'mega star' status that many destined him for.

If he can find his 'Jericho-spot' on the card and settle into it then that would be nice. By this I mean just below the main event bracket yet capable of being called up to headline a PPV or two or even run with the title when needed. Give Orton a Sheamus-type slot on the card and I'm a happy man; non-of the next big thing stuff definitely.

• Paid Members
The RR was one of the best pay per views of the past few years and one of the finest Rumble's ever.

Steady on.

I'd go along with that actually. 1992 is undoubtedly the greatest of all Rumbles but that one is in with a shout of being second certainly. Superb match.

Steady on.

I'd go along with that actually. 1992 is undoubtedly the greatest of all Rumbles but that one is in with a shout of being second certainly. Superb match.

air_raid_crash, I stand by my opinion that this year's Rumble PPV was one of the finest they've done. On top of the RR match itself being a blinder, the under card was top notch too. Just personal preferences here I suppose.

A lot of people seem to be agreeing on one thing here - that Orton's stale.

I disagree, character wise Randy has changed a lot over the past eighteen months. He's gone from the McMahon punting, Wrestlemania stealing, Cena caning evil genius leader of Legacy to the RKO'ing everyone in sight babyface that we see today. Unfortunately the one pivotal thing which hasn't changed is Orton's terrible ring work, his matches are without a doubt some of the most boring in the company and it doesn't seem as though anyone can drag a watchable performance out of him. As a character I like Orton, I feel as though the company neutered him when they turned him face and had him kissing Cena's arse on television but I like watching him doing the deranged viper thing and RKO'ing people, it's just a shame that his matches are terrible.

If you want to talk about staleness let's discuss someone who epitomises stale; John Cena, a guy who has only changed his t-shirt twice in the last six years, wrestles the same match every night, says the same shit week in and week out and comes out to the same themetune year after year. The only Cena-related thing that has changed in years is the name of his finisher/s.

I really like the Viper shtick, as pissed off as I was watching Husky Harris get punted Orton's facial expressions and mannerisms were absolutely fantastic during that segment. The WWE are well known for recycling storylines and gimmicks so why not let Orton be a modern take on that late-nineties tweener Austin who would give anyone and everyone the Stunner, just because he could.

Ooh I like this thread.

Anyway, I've been enjoying Raw since the Nexus last year, it really was a transition into new territory, or a new generation. Most Raws I watch all the way through, but of course I still skip the R-Truth segments. While Smackdown has been hit and miss. Kane and Edge destroyed any enjoyment that I got from Smackdown, and I really liked Ziggler and Del Rio. but now its over I've been liking it, and I actually have been really liking Smackdown recently (although the latest ep sounds confusing)

Its still a transition though, Kane, Edge, Undertaker and Rey Mysterio should all be gone within a few years and we need a new set of stars, cause Orton isn't a main event face, maybe a heel, but even as a heel he still needs to be more interesting in the ring. I feel bad about Orton though, cause last year when he was catching fire as a heel, and people were cheering I was all for a face turn, but as we can see it certainly didnt end well...

So yeah WWE is exciting, certainly from from the dregs that some people on here claim it is, it ain't perfect (Kofi is boring, the IC, US and Tag Titles aren't exactly flying) but its damn good fun.

Archived