Hidden Gems

K-BOW-88

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though it may certainly have been mainstream, it's certainly a match I feel is very much underrated.

Joe versus Sabu from TNA Lockdown '05. It's here.

An absolutely scorching match, showing just why Joe was so popular back then.

Also this, which was Joe going against AJ Styles back at Turning Point of the same year. I know that this too would be deemed as mainstream and that it certainly received a lot of praise at the time. However, I'd say that it was one of the hottest and most realistic bouts to have ever taken place in TNA and shits on a lot of other matches that have garnered a cum-stained e-legacy, especially the Unbreakable match between Joe, Styles and the other one.

Another couple:

Bryan Danielson v Alex Shelley, ROH 2005(?) - I remember back when ROH was been shown on TWC, I tried and tried to get into the product but I just couldn't. This was the match that finally got me hooked and I became a fan for the next two years. A cracking little pre-match promo by Alex Shelley can also be found here, with the superb line that went something like "I don't go to the street corner where your mother is, slap the dick out of her mouth and tell her how to do her job" after being booed by the ROH fans.

Bryan Danielson v Jimmy Rave, ROH 2005(?) - This was either the night before or the night after Danielson's match against Shelley. Not only a superb match in its on right, but it also proves to be a shining example of why I believe that Jimmy Rave is one of the most under-utilized wrestlers of the past few years and could garner Vickie Guerrero levels of heel heat. Come to think of it, this may have been the match that got me into ROH.

Also this, which was Joe going against AJ Styles back at Turning Point of the same year. I know that this too would be deemed as mainstream and that it certainly received a lot of praise at the time. However, I'd say that it was one of the hottest and most realistic bouts to have ever taken place in TNA and shits on a lot of other matches that have garnered a cum-stained e-legacy, especially the Unbreakable match between Joe, Styles and the other one.

Another excellent shout there. I remember being fucking amazed at the time by this one. I had it on VHS tape somewhere but fear it is now lost. Thanks for reminding me of this classic.

This was around the time these two had a triple threat with Chris Daniels also wasn

and the Harts/Steiners match.

That was precisely what I was coming in here to post. Awesome yet virtually unseen match (unless your a UKFF'er) and here it is....

PART 1 -

PART 2 -

PART 3 -

I watched this match on the Hart and Soul DVD, and its amazing. I dont understand why/how its so good though. I also thought that the commentary was excellent as well, who was the other guy doing commentary?

Another excellent shout there. I remember being fucking amazed at the time by this one. I had it on VHS tape somewhere but fear it is now lost. Thanks for reminding me of this classic.

This was around the time these two had a triple threat with Chris Daniels also wasn

I gotta big up a WoS wankfest I got not too long ago from a torrent site (maybe PWT, maybe XWT, maybe thebox.bz).

Johnny Saint vs Ken Joyce - aint got the date to hand.

It's pure magic. Worth a little hunt and peruse.

There are a few matches that pop into my mind here.

Ric Flair vs Eddie Guerrero (WCW Nitro, April(ish) 1996). This was on one of the first Nitros to be broadcast on TNT UK and was an absolutely fantastic match. Flair was working like it was the mid 80s and Eddie was on top form too.

Shane Douglas vs Pitbull 2 (ECW Dr Is In). This is a really good dramatic, heavy-bleeding psychological match. The heat is really intense and extremely well executed. It's a great demonstration of how a fair wrestler (Douglas) and a really poor one (Pitbull) can be made to look like masters with the aid of good booking and a hot angle.

HHH's TV world title matches with Taka Michinoku, Bob Holly and Taz from his 2000 title run. All three are fantastic pieces of wrestling and demonstrate that HHH was world class, at least during this period.

I also remember a Ric Flair vs Sam Houston match that was on WCW on ITV sometime in early 1991. I would have been 8 or 9 when I saw it and was the first time I ever watched a match and thought "that was a really exciting match" rather than just liking cool moves or the guys with big muscles that threw people around (I loved Doom and Sid Vicious). I've not seen this match again since, so it maybe wasn't as good as I remember, but I have a suspicion that I'd see it again now and it would still be good.

I can also think of a few fantastic matches that popped up on WCW's PPVs in the early 1990s that nobody really seems to remember these days - matches like Midnight Express vs Southern Boys (GAB 1990), Luger vs Spivey (WrestleWar 91)(and yes, it's very good), Pillman vs Zenk (WrestleWar 92). All well worth tracking down.

• Paid Members
The third Bret vs Austin ppv match from April/May of 97. You should all be ashamed it doesn't get brought up more. Amazing match, shit finish aside.

Good shout, probably the only televised match the two actually had following their double turn. If only their scheduled match at One Night Only had happened, I'd have jizzed in my pants. Probably would have had difficulty explaining that to my old man who took me mind.

Stick Michaels v Austin from KOTR 97 in there, because no one remembers it compared to Michaels' playing in pain to pass the torch to Austin at WMXIV.

Not really hidden, thats pretty much universally spaffed over on here. Not enough love for Orients/New Foundation mind.

Will probably add to this but a couple that spring to mind immediately are:

Ric Flair vs Tito Santana-Battle Royal at The Albert Hall

This occassionally gets brought up but nowhere near the amount it should. In my viewmatch of Santana's career, only the Lumberjack bout with Greg Valentine coming close. Flair is on his best heel form here and the crowd comes unglued for Satana's fiery babyface work. A really cool match in an interesting setting, as the Albert Hall has a really awesome look about it that you don't get on arena shows. Classic stuff.

Kurt Angle vs Marty Jannetty

This was lauded at the time but you hear it mentioned less and less. Yes this was a carry job but Marty turned up in awesome shape and kept up with Angle the whole way. In terms of heat as well, I think mainly because of Jannetty's unexpected awesomeness, the crowd really dig the shit out of the match. I hope this one comes to DVD at some point.

I'm not in a position to provide links right now, but these should both be on Youtube or Dailymotion and are well worth the effort. Will add more as I think of them.

Archived