Raw Discussion 14/02/2011 *spoilers*

xear

• Paid Members
Loved it, I was only thinking yesterday when reading Jerichos new book how much I missed The Rock

One the greatest of all time remined us all why he is so great

Some things are timeless in life, The Rock is one of them. I dont think anyone has been so damm entertaining on the mic as The Rock before or after in wrestling. I rarely get excited watching wrestling anymore but I was estatic when The Rocks music hit.

It did make me compare him to the top two faces on Raw these days who were in the previous segment. Try as they might neither Cena or Orton will ever be as good to me as The Rock. Rock even pointed that out what most wrestling fans over the age of 16 feel when he compared how wrestling went from him to Cena

Of course wrestling had to change but the men who took over from Rock never truly filled his boots to many fans, but to be fair they where pretty dam big boots to fill

The thing is you are comparing them over two different products. The Rock came back last night and had a lot of passion because he was either given the free roll and told he could say what he wanted or he just did it.

Cena was ace on the mic when he first started out then pg kicked in and he had to tone done a lot of what he said.

If The Rock had been around in the pg era would he have said

"I am going to kick all of there poopy asses"

That is what he would be on the level of. Trying to say Cena is not on The Rocks level is bullshit he has been the top man in the company for many years. He sells a shit load of merchandise. People have got to remember Attitude era was easier to work than pg. Cena is doing the best he can with the situation he has been placed in and I don't think he is doing a bad job. When we all look back on it in years to come most will agree he was legend and easily on par with The Rock and Austin, He just doesn't have the free will to express himself like those guys did.

Raw over all was a good watch. The Miz vs. Daniels was a solid match with the Miz showing every week how much he is improving in the ring.

Morrison and Truth tag match was a bit boring.

I hope they are not setting up Sheamus vs Mark Henry for Wrestlemania

If Edge is going to get fired; can anyone see the possibility of Edge taking some ones spot on Raw's Elimination chamber.

Also on The Rock I wasn't as excited about him being back as I thought I would be its great but what is he going to achieve?

Will he sell another 1 million buys just for his appearance I doubt it. He is not going to wrestle so he will just be there talking about warm pie and smack down hotel etc with hornswoggle. I think he will turn up on Smack down this week after all Smack down is his show. If he is off t.v from now to wrestlemania it pointless.

If they are trying to turn Cena heel that is also pointless unless taker is coming back to Raw as top face with Trips otherwise it will be Randy Boreton and JM and I don't think he is ready enough for Top spot on the show.

Someone already said it though it

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Rock's quality was the specific lines he said, it was all down to delivery. If Lex Luger was given the same script and performed it word by word would be Wrestlecrap quality. The Rock does it in his style and it's, well, electric.

• Paid Members
I don't think the Rock's quality was the specific lines he said, it was all down to delivery. If Lex Luger was given the same script and performed it word by word would be Wrestlecrap quality. The Rock does it in his style and it's, well, electric.

It wasnt like the Rock was always good, though. He was cringeworthy for a good portion of 2001-2002. Its a combination of both. You cant just make shit material good. If its shit, its shit.

That is what he would be on the level of. Trying to say Cena is not on The Rocks level is bullshit he has been the top man in the company for many years. He sells a shit load of merchandise. People have got to remember Attitude era was easier to work than pg. Cena is doing the best he can with the situation he has been placed in and I don't think he is doing a bad job. When we all look back on it in years to come most will agree he was legend and easily on par with The Rock and Austin, He just doesn't have the free will to express himself like those guys did.

Appreciate some of what you're saying, but can't agree that Cena is anywhere near The Rock's level. The Rock had the sort of charisma that meant he outgrew the wrestling business even when it was at its peak - he also had a shitload of competition for the top spot, while Cena's been the top dog for 6-7 years largely because of the absolute dearth of star quality coming through during that same period. For all the bollocks Cena spouts about never leaving the business, if he had the star quality The Rock has he'd be doing legitimate Hollywood films too, not just the shite Vince's studio churns out.

Wow just watched that clip of The Rock great stuff, it just reminded me of how far WWE has fallen off as a product.

I have to agree with what some others have said here, its all very well WWE pushing new guys, but they have to have the talent in the first place, not one of them has grabed my attention like a Hogan/Austin/Rock, Brock Lesnar was the last to do that for me, its great to see guys Like Nash, Booker and now The Rock back in some form, even though they wont be very active, they all still appeal to me more than these new guys.

I actually see The Rock doing an Austin ala Lesnar/Goldberg match and giving the rock bottom to both The Miz and Cena.

WWE have defently pulled a rabbit out of hat to save this years WM, which leads to the very good point made here, that these new guys here cant draw for shit, apart from Cena.

Take away the legends and Cena and try and book a WM event, you'd be on the phone trying to get any able old guy you could find, thats where the product is right now, with the Rock showing up, I guess they can save Goldberg, Sting, Savage and Lesnar for another rabbit out the bag.

Loved it, I was only thinking yesterday when reading Jerichos new book how much I missed The Rock

One the greatest of all time remined us all why he is so great

Some things are timeless in life, The Rock is one of them. I dont think anyone has been so damm entertaining on the mic as The Rock before or after in wrestling. I rarely get excited watching wrestling anymore but I was estatic when The Rocks music hit.

It did make me compare him to the top two faces on Raw these days who were in the previous segment. Try as they might neither Cena or Orton will ever be as good to me as The Rock. Rock even pointed that out what most wrestling fans over the age of 16 feel when he compared how wrestling went from him to Cena

Of course wrestling had to change but the men who took over from Rock never truly filled his boots to many fans, but to be fair they where pretty dam big boots to fill

The thing is you are comparing them over two different products. The Rock came back last night and had a lot of passion because he was either given the free roll and told he could say what he wanted or he just did it.

Cena was ace on the mic when he first started out then pg kicked in and he had to tone done a lot of what he said.

If The Rock had been around in the pg era would he have said

"I am going to kick all of there poopy asses"

Cena is very good on the mic I just dont think he is on The Rocks level, in comparision I dont think Orton is anyway near The Rocks universe

I am sure it is harder for Cena in these PG times but I just enjoy The Rock more as a performer than Cena, its not just the material. Yes Cena is a very hard worker and has sold a truck load of merchandise and I have no dount will go down as the biggest star of his era but I dont think he will be rembered as fondly as The Rock or Austin where

You said it yourself I am comparing two different products unfortunatly the one I am promoting was miles better than the one your defending in my opinion, as popular as Cena is and he is very popular he isnt as popular as The Rock or Austin where in there 1998- 2002 heyday, wrestling was a lot bigger and popular back then

Meh, the Rock's appearance was good, but he didn't generate the same amount of emotion of the crowd at Raw as Vickie Guerrero did earlier in the night.

And I'm sure once Vickie Guererro comes back after doing Hollywood films for 6 years to cut a face promo where she tears the company's #1 man to pieces, she'll also struggle to get the same reaction as she did when she was a fat woman with a shrill voice screaming 'EXCUSE ME!' ad infinitum.

What the fuck does any of that mean? nothing that's what. Dwyane Johnson has made a nice career for himselfs a decent Hollywood B list actor, but that matters little in a WWE ring. The fact that Vickie can just generate so much heat saying EXCUSE ME! into a microphone is unreal. Apart from plugging his facebook page last night, while it was good to see him last night, the rock just came out with the same old shit. While perhaps refreshing to se after all this time, if he was to appear on a semi regular basis in the future it'll get tired quickly. Rock's charisma is what often gets him through promos if nothing else and he seems incapable of going through one without saying "ass" several times. I hope John Cena responds by saying that 1999 called and that it wants its catchphrases back because I'm sure it'll leave the Rock dumbstruck.

It was just brilliant to see The Rock again. His promo was fantastic but the thing I'll always remember is the reaction he gets when his music hits, I know he's been away for 7 years and so he was always going to get a big reaction but that was incredible.

If The Rock does appear on Raw before Wrestlemania there are so many guys he could interact with that would be cool to see. Weirdly though instead of all the new guys I'd love to see The Rock and Austin one more time in the ring, not wrestling really just doing a promo. Nobody had chemistry like them. With Austin sort of back doing Tough Enough it could happen.

the rock's return was fucking unbelievable, it was so hard for me not to scream the house down in excitement. i had goosebumps running down both arms and sat there grinning like a cheshire cat all the way through. best markout moment since bret harts return last year

as for the rest of the show, the punk/cena and miz/bryan matches were decent but the other stuff was so so

Probably one of the greatest things WWE have ever done. The whole womans feet thing was borderline fucking genius. It was just superb, I marked out more than I have done since I was a kid when his music hit, and I am now 31. I was honestly preparing myself for someone like Mariah Carey or Lady Gaga when they showed the lady getting out of the Limo. I actually said outload "for fuck sake".

The whole lights going off, and the weird graphics on the Tron. Pure magic from start to finish, this is why TNA will never..............EVER be anywhere near the WWE.

Oh and also on the show, can't see anyone mentioning it in this thread...

The new 02.21.11 video this week, ITS THE UNDERTAKER. Without a shadow of a doubt, they even showed his body and his with half of his face for goodness sake.

What an absolutely brilliant moment that was, largely unexpected and gave me goosebumps. I was looking forward to Wrestlemania as always but that has stepped it up a notch. As most have said The Rock was in fine form and hasn't lost a step, his line about Cena looking like something out of Barney the Dinosaur's ass was a particular highlight :laugh: and I like Cena! Really intrigued to see what he'll do at Wrestlemania, i'd imagine a skit or two and something in the ring. A moment with Austin would be amazing but whatever happens with Cena will be a big Mania moment, not quite enough time has passed and they aren't as big as their equivalents but it would be similar to a Rock/Hogan moment for another era.

I personally don't think it hurt Cena or made today's wrestlers look poor, it certainly showed a one of a kind promo man at work and something to aspire to but I don't think it hurt Cena as we're not his fans. Kids who are now growing up with today's stars have Cena as their Rock so I'd imagine and guess that quite a few, if not a lot will see Rock as a nasty man for taking the mickey out of Cena, so it won't show him up to them and those that thought "Ha, you tell him Rock!" probably weren't fans of his anyway but were still watching.

Rest of Raw had some good build for the chamber and an understandibly overshadowed moment of hilarity courtesy of William Regal. But yeah a fanstastic Raw moment that will be remembered for a long time.

Meh, the Rock's appearance was good, but he didn't generate the same amount of emotion of the crowd at Raw as Vickie Guerrero did earlier in the night.

And I'm sure once Vickie Guererro comes back after doing Hollywood films for 6 years to cut a face promo where she tears the company's #1 man to pieces, she'll also struggle to get the same reaction as she did when she was a fat woman with a shrill voice screaming 'EXCUSE ME!' ad infinitum.

What the fuck does any of that mean? nothing that's what. Dwyane Johnson has made a nice career for himselfs a decent Hollywood B list actor, but that matters little in a WWE ring. The fact that Vickie can just generate so much heat saying EXCUSE ME! into a microphone is unreal. Apart from plugging his facebook page last night, while it was good to see him last night, the rock just came out with the same old shit. While perhaps refreshing to se after all this time, if he was to appear on a semi regular basis in the future it'll get tired quickly. Rock's charisma is what often gets him through promos if nothing else and he seems incapable of going through one without saying "ass" several times. I hope John Cena responds by saying that 1999 called and that it wants its catchphrases back because I'm sure it'll leave the Rock dumbstruck.

I was just flabbergasted that you'd compare Vickie Guererro to The Rock. Has anyone ever bought a ticket or ordered a pay-per-view to see Vickie Guererro? I've never once even registered a feeling of vague positivity upon seeing her appear on the TV screen. There's no talent involved in what she does. Sure, she gets a reaction, but if she turned face tomorrow would she still get one? Her act is essentially the same as Stephanie McMahon's in 1999-2001 - a loud woman with a grating, annoying voice. She also got a ton of heel heat, btw, but nobody ever accused her of being a great performer.

• Paid Members

This will seem incredibly out of character for me but fuck it I am so incredibly elated at The Rock being back. I swear I jumped out of my seat when he came out and I was with him throughout the entire promo that he did. He could have said absolutely anything, he could have come out with a terrible stammer, messing up his words left, right and centre and I'd have still been cheering along with him.

The idea of him hosting Wrestlemania is good enough, so good that I'd sit through fifty Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon style matches just to see him cut one promo or hit one People's Elbow, but the fact that he's apparently back for good just blows my mind. WWE had a pretty horrendous 2010 overall, it's the closest I've ever come to giving up with it all together, but they deserve major props for 2011 being absolutely fantastic so far. Even if 2011 hadn't been a great two months, The Rock's return would've still made up for over a year of less than stellar programming. When he came out I felt like I was watching WWF circa 1999 all over again. I felt like I was 7 years old again. I know that's probably a cliche statement by now as I'm sure many others in this thread have said the same but I don't care, it's 100% true. Brilliantly executed and I'm so glad that I managed to avoid getting it spoiled.

The Rock has been gone for so long that I'd been basically considering him nothing more than a fond memory. I mean he had the movies, yes, and I did enjoy a lot of those but his home has always been wrestling and I honestly thought I'd never get to see him in the WWE ever again. Whenever anyone asked me my favorite wrestler when I was younger I'd always say "The Rock, no doubt". In recent years I've found myself giving that honor to Kurt Angle and Randy Savage because I'd almost forgotten how entertaining Rock could be. Raw cemented the fact that The Rock has always been my real favorite wrestler and I cannot wait to see what he does at Wrestlemania and throughout the rest of 2011. Yes, his swearing was bleeped. Yes, he may have lost his touch in the ring. Yes, he may end up like Bret Hart last year. But that doesn't matter to me because I will be cheering him all the way through. He still has that great aura about him that I remember as a kid and that counts far more than any potential ring rust or PG limitations. He can buddy up with R-Truth, squash CM Punk and Mason Ryan in 12 seconds and many other things that would normally irk me about WWE's booking and I'd still be there, watching, excited about what it is that he does next.

Sorry if I set off the gay alarm here but I'm on such a high right now that I needed to get out all my joy. It may be incredibly nerdy and it may be met with justified piss-taking but that's a price I'm willing to pay to have The Rock back in WWE.

"Finally" indeed.

• Paid Members

So you are saying if The Rock came out and said the PG stuff like

I am going to layeth the Smackdown on all there poopy asses

Or to Michael Cole

No your role and please don't disturb my promo and take a seat.

It would be the way he delivered it that made it so quality.

The lines were nostalgic and from 98-2002 they were good. Could he not come back and be a tad more serious NO why because if he done the same stuff he did 7-8 years ago the idiots out there will lap it up.

The Rock was good in his time and his era. I enjoyed his come back but it wasn't the greatest moment of Raw ever, It wasn't even in the top 20 of Raw greatest momnets ever.

Fuck me if J.B.L came back and cut a Promo about being a wrestling god i would love that to. Its all just nostalgic bullshit.

If The Rock came back full time i think he would struggle with PG and to be honest the near the end of his run the whole "pie" thing bored me.

The Rock will be good for Wrestlemania but he will not stick around and Cena does not need him either Cena has probably at this stage shifted more shirts than The Rock.

Cena is as big of a star as Austin and The Rock money wise some of you might not like him 90% of you hated Triple H now you are drooling over Triple H vs Taker at Wrestlemania why

nostalgia

Archived