Raw Discussion 14/02/2011 *spoilers*

xear

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved it, I was only thinking yesterday when reading Jerichos new book how much I missed The Rock

One the greatest of all time remined us all why he is so great

Some things are timeless in life, The Rock is one of them. I dont think anyone has been so damm entertaining on the mic as The Rock before or after in wrestling. I rarely get excited watching wrestling anymore but I was estatic when The Rocks music hit.

It did make me compare him to the top two faces on Raw these days who were in the previous segment. Try as they might neither Cena or Orton will ever be as good to me as The Rock. Rock even pointed that out what most wrestling fans over the age of 16 feel when he compared how wrestling went from him to Cena

Of course wrestling had to change but the men who took over from Rock never truly filled his boots to many fans, but to be fair they where pretty dam big boots to fill

If Rock and Cena happened who would go over? I cant choose

I suppose it ultimatley wouldnt effect either person, and the rock being the rock i'd imagine he'd put cena over. He'd get booed out of the arena, but im guessing they'd do the hand shake thing afterwards.

Presumably. Cena would absolutely be the heel in that match though, no matter how they booked the feud. It might not be 'One Night Stand' levels of booing for him, but it would definitely be up there with WM22. Watching that promo from last night's RAW, even American children can't be stupid enough to think Cena is in any way better than The Rock.

• Paid Members
If Rock and Cena happened who would go over? I cant choose

I suppose it ultimatley wouldnt effect either person, and the rock being the rock i'd imagine he'd put cena over. He'd get booed out of the arena, but im guessing they'd do the hand shake thing afterwards.

Presumably. Cena would absolutely be the heel in that match though, no matter how they booked the feud. It might not be 'One Night Stand' levels of booing for him, but it would definitely be up there with WM22. Watching that promo from last night's RAW, even American children can't be stupid enough to think Cena is in any way better than The Rock.

Think The Rock VS Hogan.

Meh, the Rock's appearance was good, but he didn't generate the same amount of emotion of the crowd at Raw as Vickie Guerrero did earlier in the night.

And I'm sure once Vickie Guererro comes back after doing Hollywood films for 6 years to cut a face promo where she tears the company's #1 man to pieces, she'll also struggle to get the same reaction as she did when she was a fat woman with a shrill voice screaming 'EXCUSE ME!' ad infinitum.

It really was incredible. Like Rick they threw me with the womans feet!

But yeah unbelievable promo and the whole thing was amazing. Only slight dissapointment is he said he'd see Cena and The Miz and everyone at WrestleMania, so looks like its just a one time RAW appearance before then. I assume he'll be on RAW after WrestleMania to say goodbye again, theres no way he'll be sticking around for a prolonged period of time.

Good stuff though, just dissapointed it'll all be over in a few weeks and we'll be back to how it was.

• Paid Members

Well I'm over being annoyed, as that was great. My heart was pounding when they did the big lights out build at the start.

The Rock is simply amazing. It's the first time since the Attitude boom that my little brother sat down and watched wrestling without laughing at its 'gayness'. He was in awe of 'The Great One'. I do love that The Rock exposed the current product simply by doing his schtick. Kinda depressing, really.

On a lesser note, Raw was good.

It seems WWE are trying harder than ever to bring back some former fans (not that I'm complaining) - or its a strange coincidence:

HBK at the HOF

Taker returning to Raw (well so we expect)

(to a way lesser extent) Lawler wrestling in a bigger spot than usual i.e. not joke matches

HHH due back soon

The Rock hosting Mania

Stone Cold hosting Tough Enough

Good stuff.

• Paid Members
(to a way lesser extent) Lawler wrestling in a bigger spot than usual i.e. not joke matches

Lawler doesnt mind. He usually prefers to squeeze himself into a tight slot.

Peado jokes aside, Raw was brilliant. And The Rock was his electrifying self, as he was the last time we saw him. Hopefully he'll be back a few times before WrestleMania. I wouldnt be surprised if we see Stone Cold in some form at WrestleMania either, considering there's a legit reason for him to be on WWE programming in the near future. Rock and Austin verbally sparing in a backstage segment would be just brilliant. And for me personally, I've missed Undertaker, Triple H and Shawn Michaels, so it'll be great to see those three if/when they return at the big one. WrestleMania looked dead and buried the other week. I thought the card looked dreadful. But now there is a million possibilities.

Just watched this through now, absolutely gutted that I didn't stay up and watch it live last night as I had Rock's return 'spoiled' thanks to a video on You Tube that popped up. I use the term 'spoiled' very loosely though as it was still a truly amazing moment.

This had the best Raw of the past decade, surely?

It seems WWE are trying harder than ever to bring back some former fans (not that I'm complaining) - or its a strange coincidence:

HBK at the HOF

HHH due back soon

The Rock hosting Mania

Good stuff.

To be honest, most of these things (besides the odd one or two) were always pretty much inevitablely going to happen.

I'm a bit disappointed that it's almost certainly going to just be the Wrestlemania appearance and one or two more Raw showings if we're lucky, I still can't help but get uber excited for the next few weeks. That was a cracking moment, and as others have said, he completely blew away the rest of the roster promo-wise. Looks like he hasn't missed a beat.

HBK at the HOF

HHH due back soon

The Rock hosting Mania

Good stuff.

All of this is great but it also has a slight melancholy feel to it knowing that one day guys like The Rock won't be able to make a return. In some ways Austin won't be the man he once was as he is injured so badly from his career that there are doubts he will even be able to have a one off match, Bret's one off Wrestlemania match became a shambles due to him being unable to have a proper wrestling match. HBK has retired and I have a feeling that he is one of those guys who when he gives his word on retiring from physically wrestling he will be done and there will be no more one more match. These legends who we grew up watching are now all getting too banged up to wrestle, Austin and Bret being the prime examples and I don't see Taker being too far off retiring now. I can see them returning every now and then and maybe getting involved as on screen characters, such as managers, GMs, commentators but once they're too banged up for even one more match they'll never be able to recapture what they once were.

Seeing The Rock last night, the build up with Taker's video, knowing that HBK is in the Hall of Fame, Triple H's return may be happening soon and Austin is hosting Tough Enough have really made the audience hyped up and that's great and I am looking forward to these things as much as everyone else, but what happens when these guys can't do any of that. In a decade or two I can't see guys like Orton or Cena generating as much hype as The Rock did last night with in one surprise promo, no doubt they will generate hype but I can't see it being as great as The Rock's last night. Sadly the whole thing has got me wondering if the Attitude Era and the late 90s to early 00s in general was the greatest time to be a wrestling fan and if we'll ever see a period as great as that ever again, I really, really hope so but I wouldn't bet on it. I feel that to have another period as successful and entertaining as that time WWE need real opposition, like they did during that period with WCW, after a few years of realising they had no real opposition they seemed to fade a bit. I think we need TNA to really step it up and become real challengers to WWE or any company to appear and take it to them if TNA don't, so that WWE really push again to oppose another company in competition with them.

I think Vince is as aware as the rest of us how flat the current output is compared to the boom periods - there's a reason the last several Wrestlemanias have been sold largely on the back of stars from the Attitude era and earlier like Bret, Taker, HBK, Flair and now Rock. I'm not sure how they go about preparing for the days when they can't haul in old stars to pop a buyrate, but it's absolutely necessary at the moment because the way the card was shaping up a few weeks back looked flat as a fart. They've done a decent enough job building the likes of Barrett, Miz and Del Rio over the last year, but it's only when you're looking at them as potential Wrestlemania headliners that you realise how far they are away from being legitimate stars.

Archived