Do you miss...

SCARFACE

• Paid Members
I thought he'd then win the title clean at the next PPV at the time.

Fuck, that would have ruined Thanksgiving for me for sure. I hated lardarse, but Luger as champion would have made me vomit into my pink and black satchel.

Must admit there is a time and a place for blood, used sparingly. For instance at a point when Nexus needed a shot in the arm, they could have done with drawing blood on Cena.

In fact if they ramped up a serious Nexus v Core feud, blood would come in handy. Mostly because the image of Punk laughing maniacally post-ruck despite blood running down his face makes me need a wank.

Close, it was Team Austin vs Team Bischoff. Good call though, I think I started a thread on it. HBK's performance in that match is a thing of beauty.

Weird thing is, I catch myself thinking quite often about that match. How brilliant Michaels is at facing awful 3 on 1 one odds, showing great heart, coming OH SO CLOSE, and then being - FUCKERS! - cheated out of his heroic victory. But until tonight, somehow I had forgotten he had actually bled. Much like similar "fighting the odds" stuff in the past, it was simple storytelling at its best and would have worked with the blood or without. Which just shows how good a storyteller Michaels was, I guess.

Austin/Hitman on the other hand would not have worked without it, because of the "losing consciousness" part of the ending. In fact it was so convincing and well-executed, that I havent really bitten on any "passing-out from pain" submission hold finishes since, unless they too look like the Sacred Heart lot would have a hard time saving them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Must admit there is a time and a place for blood, used sparingly. For instance at a point when Nexus needed a shot in the arm, they could have done with drawing blood on Cena.

Absolutely. Too much blood totally loses its impact, however WWE are in the situation now where there is so little blood that when they next use blood (and I'm sure the day will come) it really will mean something.

There was a time when blood in the WWF was such a surprise that it was so memorable. A good example of that was the Bret Hart vs British Bulldog match from IYH 5. I don't think there had been significant blood on WWF PPV since Hart and Flair both bled at WM 8 nearly three years earlier, and there wouldn't be any more until Austin's famous gusher at WM 13 over a year later. From the late 90s however, there was so much blood that I find it hard to recall which matches featured blood and which didn't unless it was totally over the top, like Eddie Guerrero's Judgement day juice job.

Although I may miss it to some extent, I think the current situation is better overall because it leaves the door open for blood to be used in a way that will accentuate a match or angle and make it something that people talk about and remember rather than something people just expect.

The shows are better without blading, in particular, for one good reason; I don't get annoyed by how blatantly obvious the whole sequence of receiving the blade, making the cut and chucking the blade actually was. Seriously, so many of the WWE guys were awful at it.

I remember an Elimination Chamber where Randy Orton practically did it in slow motion right in front of the camera, it was like an instructional video.

The shows are better without blading, in particular, for one good reason; I don't get annoyed by how blatantly obvious the whole sequence of receiving the blade, making the cut and chucking the blade actually was. Seriously, so many of the WWE guys were awful at it.

I remember an Elimination Chamber where Randy Orton practically did it in slow motion right in front of the camera, it was like an instructional video.

Don't forget Ric Flair's famous moment at Wrestlemania 8 as well. I do think that some angles could benefit by seeing abit of juice, but it's become just another excuse for people to complain how being PG means the show has to be so bad.

• Paid Members

Don't forget Ric Flair's famous moment at Wrestlemania 8 as well.

Welcome to page 2 of this thread.

There was loads of blood on WWE Raw this week. They didn't even wipe it off Punks taped fists for later in the show.

The first time I saw Shawn Michaels swing a chait to Undertaker's head on Raw in 1997 I was shocked, even more so when he bled from the head. It was one of those moments we might not see for some time.

On one of the recent TNA pay per views (I don

I don't miss blood all that much to be honest. In fact, the other week I watched a TNA show (the one where Ken Anderson was busted open with a Jeff Hardy chair shot to the back of the head) and thought there was too much blood and over-the-top batterings on the show. I just ended up thinking these guys can't show up every week and go through that and still be kayfabe okay for the next show. There was too much. It's quite nice now that WWE can use it as a 'special' moment, like using a piledriver or sledgehammer shot for instance.

Archived