Do you miss...

SCARFACE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This conversation came up the other week when watching the Rumble with friends actually.. My opinion was very much was you've said there Rick. It got to the point where it was totally overdone; just totally stopping it entirely for a while was a great call. When someone does eventually bleed a bit in a big angle it's gonna have so much more impact.

Like chairshots. At some point, you have to hit the reset button, not have any for ages, and then when they do happen, sell them like a shot to the head.

I have found it odd over the past six months or so that there's been all these beat-downs by The Nexus, The Corre, The New Nexus... and they haven't spilt a single drop of claret.

One or two of the beatings should have had some blood - they could blur the image for even more sinister effect if it's such an issue.

• Moderators

You can't beat it when someone gets busted open HARDWAY~!

It adds so much more because there is a level of actual annoyance on the part of the person now bleeding, which in turn tends to led to an increased level of realism. As a fan you can sense the level of animosity rising which really adds to the match.

Compare this to when someone blades and the reaction tends to be the opposite. Rather than anger it tends to be "I'm dying".

• Paid Members
I have found it odd over the past six months or so that there's been all these beat-downs by The Nexus, The Corre, The New Nexus... and they haven't spilt a single drop of claret.

One or two of the beatings should have had some blood - they could blur the image for even more sinister effect if it's such an issue.

Why? It's been all punches (which rarely ever draw blood) and finishing moves. They've not been using weapons and such. Chairshots are all to the body.

It's the same as saying that a HIAC match or Elimination Champber match should have blood. if you do moves like slamming heads into the ring post or into a cell and such, then there probably should but if the match isn't booked to feature that sort of thing then it isn't necessary.

It's an odd thing, blood, because it's so inconsistent in wrestling. For years there were cage matches where people were slammed into the cage face first and nothing. Then we go through a phase where if someone looks at the cage closely they bleed.

Also silly that only some performers are permitted to bleed. How come there was rarely any blood in any standard match but if Ric Flair, HBK or Triple h were in it, they'd bleed all over. That's almost as silly as having a signiture sell of a move!

The one that stands out in my mind is Ric Flair VS Randy Savage at WrestleMania 8 (I believe Flair was fined for blading on-camera).

It wasn't directly for blading on camera, it was because there was a no-blood rule at the time as well and it was obvious Flair had bled on purpose so he got in trouble after the match, whereas Bret Hart and Roddy Piper got away with it looking like an accident in their match on the show. According to Bret Hart, anyway.

• Paid Members
The one that stands out in my mind is Ric Flair VS Randy Savage at WrestleMania 8 (I believe Flair was fined for blading on-camera).

It wasn't directly for blading on camera, it was because there was a no-blood rule at the time as well and it was obvious Flair had bled on purpose so he got in trouble after the match, whereas Bret Hart and Roddy Piper got away with it looking like an accident in their match on the show. According to Bret Hart, anyway.

See, I was going to put Piper/Hart as another example as one that stood out for me, but then I thought 'nah, they couldnt have had two on one show back then- surely?'

You can't beat it when someone gets busted open HARDWAY~!

It adds so much more because there is a level of actual annoyance on the part of the person now bleeding, which in turn tends to led to an increased level of realism. As a fan you can sense the level of animosity rising which really adds to the match.

A brilliant example of this is at One Night Stand 2008. Big Show badly busted his eye open on the stairs in a Singapore Cane match, when he got up his eye looked a mess and he looked really, really pissed off and then destroyed everyone in sight with cane shots. It made for a great moment that I remember well

Why? It's been all punches (which rarely ever draw blood) and finishing moves. They've not been using weapons and such. Chairshots are all to the body.

It's the same as saying that a HIAC match or Elimination Champber match should have blood. if you do moves like slamming heads into the ring post or into a cell and such, then there probably should but if the match isn't booked to feature that sort of thing then it isn't necessary.

It's an odd thing, blood, because it's so inconsistent in wrestling. For years there were cage matches where people were slammed into the cage face first and nothing. Then we go through a phase where if someone looks at the cage closely they bleed.

Also silly that only some performers are permitted to bleed. How come there was rarely any blood in any standard match but if Ric Flair, HBK or Triple h were in it, they'd bleed all over. That's almost as silly as having a signiture sell of a move!

The beatings could have been more severe. It's not an overly complicated concept to get yer head around, is it?

This kickings have taken place all over the place, week after week. Not so much as a busted nose or fat lip in sight. What a bunch of fairies.

IMO, blood would have helped get this lot over in the intended manner quicker.

BTW, people get busted open by being punched and they've certainly thrown many punches. So your point on the lack of weapons is a quite the shit one. Yeah, they throw punches all the time in matches etc, yadda, yadda, yadda.... I have issues with that too so there's nocounter-points there either.

:)

It's the same as saying that a HIAC match or Elimination Champber match should have blood

It's clearly not the same thing. Unless it's 5-on-1, week after week and still not a drop of claret.

• Paid Members
BTW, people get busted open by being punched and they've certainly thrown many punches. So your point on the lack of weapons is a quite the shit one.

In the past 30 years there have probably been 30,000,000 punches thrown in wrestling rings. The number of times those punches have resulted in bleeding, either hardway or by self inflicted cut to sell the injuries, is tiny by comparison. Hence, rarely. So quite the shite argument yourself. ;)

I understand why they did it and eventually when they do allow it again, because I'm sure they will, you know it's going to have a huge impact because it will be a shock. I do think though that banning it completely has on one or two occasions led to problems. On the vignette this week for Elimination Chamber all the clips of brutal spots happening in the match come from years ago because the recent ones whilst good matches in their own right could have happened in a normal 6 way match. I think when they use the more extreme gimmick matches like Elimination Chamber or Hell in a Cell the lack of blood, or chair shots to the head etc does restrict the match.

They keep trying to push the idea of Hell in a Cell as the most brutal match possible but a few more years of the sanitised HIAC matches we have been getting and fans will stop falling for it and it will devalue what the HIAC or the Elimination Chamber represent. The WWE had always been able to reply on the HIAC match to pop a buyrate but now I'm not too sure it would.

Its a good idea for the reasons mentioned, but its strange that in a PG era that they would promote Gimmick PPVs like Cell, Chamber, TLC all of which normally have blood but never do now.

Its also funny from a 'real' pov how a few years ago guys like HHH, Austin etc would bleed in nearly every major match but now....nothing, not a drop from anyone, if that makes sense??

Punk vs Rey was great at Over the Limit last year, when punk got stopped to get blood cleaned up the crowd were booing but when the doc was finished he 'snapped' and battered rey all over the place, it looked great.

Not trying to sound like a sicko or anything but I do miss the blood and although it was accidental the broken nose Punk got on Raw this week, along with the blood made the moment look more real and sometimes in a way blood makes someone look evil, slightly deranged and dangerous, which I think it did for Punk in this case.

I don't like blood just for the sake of it, in a singles or tag match on Raw between guys or divas who are just having a match without really any animosity between them it is just unneeded and to be honest I am not really a great fan of divas bleeding, fair enough if it's an accident but making divas blade doesn't seem cool to me, unless of course they really want to or something. Seeing the Hell in a Cell matches this year just take place entirely in the cell and not have any interaction with the cell outside, eg. ontop or anything made it feel like a pathetic watered down version of what was once the most dangerous and sickening match in wrestling. They may as well have just been matches in the ring without the cell and without any blood it didn't look dangerous or sickening or even as though the guys really hated each other. Watching wrestling for over ten years and seeing the likes of Triple H and Mick Foley feuding with bloodbaths in crazy Hell in a Cells, even containing fire and Street Fights with thumbtacks and seeing how much these guys supposedly hated each other was what made me escape into this world and believe for the moment that these guys really did despise each other. Now we see guys supposedly hate each other, such as Cena and Barrett (and no put down on them, Cena is a very entertaining guy and it's no surprise really that he's one of the best known guys today and I am a huge Barrett fan, think the guy is amazing and I hope in the near future he is a World Champion) and they have Cena calling him a poopie head or something and then when they wrestle neither is bleeding and it doesn't really look like real dangerous violence. Again with Nexus beatdowns, they looked vicious but that viciousness was brought down a notch without the presence of blood, if there was blood involved in one or two of those beatdowns it would have really looked a lot more dangeours and serious.

But at the end of the day I suppose if the absence of blood is a good thing healthwise for the wrestlers that is the key point. If they are losing too much blood every few months it can be very serious and dangerous and making them do that just so a beatdown or match looks more violent or dangerous is a stupid thing really as it really is putting their health on the line.

Its also funny from a 'real' pov how a few years ago guys like HHH, Austin etc would bleed in nearly every major match but now....nothing, not a drop from anyone, if that makes sense??

That's no sillier really than the way wrestlers only take three minutes to lose on TV but fifteen on pay-per-view.

Archived