Thoughts on this situation please

martinQblank

I disagree, this myth that people are suddenly a lot less reasonable nowadays has led to the police/emergency services getting called for all types of situations that can easily be resolved yourself .Obviously if you kick the door yelling the neighbour will likely respond in a similar manner but 99% of the time people will want to avoid confrontation & if you approach any situation in a reasonable & polite way then very few people will react badly. I'd react a lot worse if someone called the filth than just popped round cause' they were concerned.

I dunno about that, especially in a situation like this one. A call round and quiet show of concern could easily be met with "YOU SAYIN' I'M AN UNFIT MOTHER?" In this case, maybe it wouldn't, but it'd definitely be a concern someone would have before knocking on. A child screaming all the time isn't particularly indicative of a calm household to an outsider.

• Paid Members
So the other night I get a call from my sister who is an single mother, the police had been called round as her neighbour had accused her of child abuse, after her child had a tantrum. Obviously my sister is totally innocent, her child is prone to tantrum, like a lot of 3 year olds and was having a meltdown.

The police seemed satisfied that everything was okay, as the child is really loved and comes from a great home. She is now worried that every time she tells him off, or he was fall over then the police or social services would step in.

I've advised to take law action: both to find out next steps, and also deformation of character as this neighbour has accused her of something completely without foundation.

Do you live with your sister?

If not have you talked about the possibility of abuse with her.

Is the father still around does she live with father?

These are the hard questions you have to ask if you don't live next door to your sister or in the same house how you do know something more sinister is not going on.

I have two boys one of them is nearly five and has out grown the whole tantrum thing. The other is nearly three and is just starting. There tantrums is throwing on themselves on the floor because the can't get there way some crying a squirming around generally met with myself and my wife ignoring them for no more than two minutes the tantrum is over they have said sorry.

I am not saying your sister is monster but ask her the hard facts first. If someone called the police on me and said I was abusing my kids I would go mental. None of this oh better be careful they live next door shit. As soon as Old Bill fucked off I would be round there asking them what the fuck there playing at.

That's because I would be innocent I would never abuse my kids ever. I wouldn't think I must take this to court to get justice fuck all that bollocks. If your sister is genuinely innocent she should go around there and tell its none of there business she is sorry for the noise but her child is a little boisterous and it is her way of dealing with the tantrums is to ignore the screaming and shouting. At least the neighbours will know she is not trying to kill the kid.

You as a brother have to ask the hard questions though. Find out how she is feeling. People can seem ok on the outside but on the inside can be tearing a part so be a proper brother and make sure nothing untoward is happening to your niece and make sure your sister is ok. Don't get the courts involved either it

I dunno, one of my best friends has a 3 year old who is a little demon child, screaming 24/7 and destroying things. I think it is a bit bad parenting though, she waits until the kid has turned the house upside down to yell at him, so for him it's like a game, "How far can I push Mum". Whereas when I was growing up 10-15 years ago, if I even put a toe out of line, Mum would just give me the dreaded Look

If someone called the police on me and said I was abusing my kids I would go mental. None of this oh better be careful they live next door shit. As soon as Old Bill fucked off I would be round there asking them what the fuck there playing at.

That's because I would be innocent I would never abuse my kids ever. I wouldn't think I must take this to court to get justice fuck all that bollocks. If your sister is genuinely innocent she should go around there and tell its none of there business she is sorry for the noise but her child is a little boisterous and it is her way of dealing with the tantrums is to ignore the screaming and shouting. At least the neighbours will know she is not trying to kill the kid.

TBH if you go around there ranting and raving if anything all that will show is you may have anger issues and as soon as you leave all they are going to do is phone the police again and tell them that you have been around and threaded them now and then the police and social services would look even deeper into to it.

I have to agree with the neighbour on this one if he and or she genuinely thought that some abuse may be going on then they did what should be done you hear to many story's of kids been hurt and killed because nobody thought to say anything.

If anything I would go around and calmly explain the situation and even thank them that they thought enough of my children to try and protect them and that I would of done the same thing had the situation been reversed.

• Moderators
I dunno, one of my best friends has a 3 year old who is a little demon child, screaming 24/7 and destroying things. I think it is a bit bad parenting though, she waits until the kid has turned the house upside down to yell at him, so for him it's like a game, "How far can I push Mum". Whereas when I was growing up 10-15 years ago, if I even put a toe out of line, Mum would just give me the dreaded Look

Archived