What you have learnt through watching old wrestling back

jimufctna24

• Paid Members

There are the obvious 'I forgot about him' or the 'shit, he was actually really good'. Smaller things do it for me too though (apologies for no links I'm on my phone)

- when Christian left edge originally, he got a theme tune that said "Christian, at last your on your own" and had it for a while, but there was a slightly alternative faster version that appeared on promo vids just before the standard version. In my opinion it sounded much cooler.

- I always forget about the 10 second squash match between a returning earthquake and Adam bomb at mania, never understood it, nothing came of it.

- vince shouting "fuck you" to bulldog from outside of a cage at a ppv (just after bulldog accidentally butchered steph with a chair).

- something that has pissed me off for years, when commentators say jerichos applying the Walls of Jericho, when it's actually just a Boston crab these days.

- there's big lads and then you see Yokozuna stood next to quake and think to yourself 'fuck'.

- if you grew up watching it through the late 80's and throughout the 90's and the start of the 00's, and then go and watch an old tape, the want for it to be back like any of those eras compared to now is unreal. Personal opinion, but fuck me, I'd much rather spend 30-40 quid on a grainy old 90's raw set.

• Paid Members
Unfortuantely I have learnt that, although The Rock was amazing and he nearly always had the crowd in the palm of his hand, much of his material was almost as childish, if not more so, than some of John Cena's.

It's amazing that more people haven't noticed this. Rock's material in 1999-2002 was every bit as cringeworthy as Cena's, it just seemed cool because we were kids. It's like the way people convince themselves that pre-Monday Night Wars wrestling was better than Monday Night Wars wrestling and beyond. It's all down to the rose tints.

I think the difference is though that The Rock looked and acted like the coolest guy ever even when he was saying childish things while Cena just looks like a juiced up idiot with a weird shaped head. And while stuff he said was certainly childish it was actually funny alot of the time as opposed to Cena.

Also helped that The Rock was a hell of a lot better in the ring than Cena is.

• Paid Members

Rocky was/is my all time fave, thus I immediately disregard anything even remotely critical about him when something pops up. Biased? Damn skippy.

Rock's 2003 heel run was excellent stuff, A welcome change from what was admittedly becoming something of a stale act. Even so, rose tints or not, Rock may have been childish before that but he did it with a unique style and grace that very few could compare to. More than anything, it was his energy that sucked you into his matches and promos. I'm no Cena hater, the opposite actually, but Rocky was almost certainly funnier.

...Mind you, popcorn fart? Come on.

Youtube is incredible for finding the stuff you never knew about, or never saw. My personal favourites are things like the Rockers vs Legion of Doom from Prime Time, Bret Hart vs Macho Man WWF title match from Yokohama, squash matches from guys you never saw win on PPV (like Repo Man) or even never made it onto PPV (like Widowmaker Barry Windham), debuts, vignettes and so on.

It deserves its own thread, I'd say.

I've always wanted to see this match but could only find a terrible quality famcam from what seemed to be the back row of the arena. Is that the one you meant or is there a better one I don't know about yet???

• Paid Members
I've always wanted to see this match but could only find a terrible quality famcam from what seemed to be the back row of the arena. Is that the one you meant or is there a better one I don't know about yet???

Nah, that sounds like the one I watched.

Weird thing is that every time I imagined what that match would have been like between Savage leaving the WWF and discovering that the match had happened last year, the finish was exactly how I imagined. Bret surviving the big elbow but the second being Randy's undoing, then putting Bret over clean via Sharpshooter. Seeing it actually happen was amazing to me.

Nah, that sounds like the one I watched.

Weird thing is that every time I imagined what that match would have been like between Savage leaving the WWF and discovering that the match had happened last year, the finish was exactly how I imagined. Bret surviving the big elbow but the second being Randy's undoing, then putting Bret over clean via Sharpshooter. Seeing it actually happen was amazing to me.

Ah thought it might be.

I remember seeing pics of this match in PWI just not long after Wrestlemania 10. I would have given anything to see it at the time. That was the biggest match they could have done that year and it never happened in the US. Obviously due to the Bret v Owen feud dominating most of 94 but I'd of much rather had Hart V Savage at Summerslam over Bret v Owen.

• Paid Members

Weird thing is WWF Magazine in summer 94 made it strongly sound like Hart/Luger, face v face was on the cards. Which would have probably been a bad idea, but small child me was really excited about it. I also expected after a year at Intercontinental title level Razor might get a shot. Probably heard that one down Youth Club.

Archived