Billy Gunn in Herne Bay

Dr Reefer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it not possible that some towns can only support a couple of well attended shows a year? Surely if EWW felt that the Herne Bay fans would turn out in sufficiant numbers then they would be running more shows there? If this theory is indeed correct (and I know it to be in some places) then VPW jumping in there will likely take money out of a later EWW show.

I also notice EWW have had to postpone the Kings Hall show they had scheduled for end of March. I have no idea why they did this, but I know if another promotion decided to book a show in the same town and same venue just a month before my show I'd feel I had to postpone too. I'd also be pretty pissed off about it.

Exactly this ^^

EWW would rather run 2 or 3 QUALITY shows per year at Herne Bay, than a watered down one each month with less fans, less atmosphere etc. As anyone who has attended an EWW show will agree, the atmosphere is always electric, and we plan on keeping it that way.

As for " old school morals", do you really think, for example, Ricky Knight would have nothing to say if we decided to do shows in Norwich at his usual venues? No, I think not.

At the end of the day, what VPW have done is very bad form, and EWW will not take this lying down.

Iammarkingout, some venues will do anything for a few quid, in response top your question.

Why would the venue let them do this though? If they have been running there for a couple of years wouldn't the venue be loyal to the promotion? Maybe the venue have decided to go with something different, if so I would be surprised because the first few EWW shows were well supported.

to the venue, a booking is a booking. unless you some exclusivity contract on the building anyone can book a venue really

Surely a venue manager would know that having a similar event so close would effect the other booking?

Kings Hall has only had EWW in it in recent years and has been a great venue and is known for it so why hasn't somebody done this earlier?

I don't know why but I feel that this will be the last I will see EWW in Herne Bay :( I may have to travel to one of their other shows, where else do they run? I remember seeing DVD's for Liverpool, Coventry and Witney.

On a positive note I hope the VPW show is good and I will be attending, always nice to check another promotion out.

Thank you to every one for showing an interest in this thread and VPW positive or negative.

At VPW we have 5 people in our office and strongly try to stay away from fan forums as it is predominantly read mostly by people with in the wrestling business rather then fans, family's children, mums, dads and what we class as our main target audience. With that said this topic has been brought to our attention and we felt the need to comment.

Firstly, The UK Kid is part of the VPW booking team and is one of the 5 people who run Varsity Pro Wrestling. This has to be mentioned as it seems that people seem to think he is VPW. This is not the case.

Varsity Pro Wrestling has been running 5 years now which started in front of 65 people and on the busiest night drew over 750 people.

Our target is to provide a family show and give people a taste of what they see on TV, the reason behind this is our fan base is heavily families and children, when they turn up to a UK show one of the 1st comments is how the ring is smaller then it looks on TV, and is John Cena going to be there.

For this reason we try to use guys like Billy Gunn, Hardcore Holly, D'lo Brown, The Road Dogg, Chris Masters to name a few. This is to bring them some familiarity to what they are used to seeing but also to attract wrestling fans who may not know who a UK Kid, Andy Simmonz or Jonny Storm is simply because they have not had the world wide exposure.

Secondly VPW is a successfull business which includes making money, such above named former WWE superstars generated alot of cash for World Wrestling Entertainment, making them proven cash generators weather this be through ticket sales, T Shirts, DVD's etc making them very valuable to the VPW team as well as making the shows of a higher standard as well as using them as a training tool for our own stars and making use of there valuable experience.

Concerning the issue of The Kings Hall Herne Bay, a member of our office was called by the venue manager stating they were given our contact from ITV TV Host Paul O Grady who lives in Kent and recently did and interview with The UK Kid recommending to the venue manager, a friend of his that Varsity Pro Wrestling should run in Kent.

We were told that the wrestling shows previously held were starting to become unsuitable for children and no more dates with the previous company were being booked in.

3 members of our team set up a meeting with the venue and were offered a very lucrative 12 month deal at a very good price, which as a business we thought to be very profitable and great for VPW and fans of wrestling in that area.

Our apologies go out to any one who has been offended or feels they have been miss treated by the actions of varsity Pro Wrestling with this situation.

I can confirm Billy Gunn IS booked for the Feb 22nd date at Herne Bay, this will be his 19th apperance for VPW, we are looking forward to having a great night and putting on the best show possible in The Kings Hall.

Here is a sample of our work -

Paul O'Grady Interview at VPW - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL4Wjpq5HeM

For any more questions please email office@varsityprowrestling.com to the attention of Dave or Jon who have been dealing with Herne Bay personally and will help you with your enquires.

Team VPW

An article taken from british wrestling publication speaking to former WWE Star Bob Holly regarding his opinion on VPW

**Hardcore Holly Comments On Varsity Pro Wrestling, The UK's No.1 Sports Entertainment Company**

There are a lot of British wrestling companies that have talent from overseas being booked onto their shows; it gives the promotion a much needed recognised face to help advertise their show in order to attract as many fans as possible through the doors.

Former WWE wrestler Hardcore Holly is one of Varsity Pro Wrestling

Concerning the issue of The Kings Hall Herne Bay, a member of our office was called by the venue manager stating they were given our contact from ITV TV Host Paul O Grady who lives in Kent and recently did and interview with The UK Kid recommending to the venue manager, a friend of his that Varsity Pro Wrestling should run in Kent.

We were told that the wrestling shows previously held were starting to become unsuitable for children and no more dates with the previous company were being booked in.

3 members of our team set up a meeting with the venue and were offered a very lucrative 12 month deal at a very good price, which as a business we thought to be very profitable and great for VPW and fans of wrestling in that area.

Our apologies go out to any one who has been offended or feels they have been miss treated by the actions of varsity Pro Wrestling with this situation.

That's fine - no promotion has the overall rights to a specific venue, this isn't McMahon and Madison Square Garden but did it not cross your mind to at least give EWW a call out of common courtesy and explain it to them?

• Paid Members
Different version to what I heard, but hey, at least I don't need to stress about these things anymore.

DJ Kris, don't leave it like that we want to hear the other version!

Not really my place to say, we'll just see how things unfold over the coming months. Certainly someone isn't being entirely honest. But as you have already said, this isn't for the fans to worry about, they just need to see a good wrestling show, which from what I've heard is what they've been getting for the past couple of years. I hope that continues.

Team VPW

Having been to Herne Bay 6/7 times now, I can safely say that the number of Children at the EWW shows has remained constant since the first time they visited. I would quite like to know where the said information originated as I don't believe that EWW shows have been against the family grain, they have been offering something different and something a little bit more out there than other promoters. EWW's stance on Women in wrestling is something that I originally thought was a crap idea, but I was won over. I assumed that if shows were spread over a long course of time then the product would suffer from fans not remembering what happened to who and plots becoming useless, but the fans remembered. By the 4th show I recognised a large part of the crowd and by the 6th, the crowd knew who I was and engaged in conversation as if we had spoke the day before.

If EWW had pushed its time more then the product would have been too much. Sure, we in adult-land would know what we were going to watch and who, so shared 'territory' means nothing to us, but for famillies, confusion is created with more than one company and the magic of seeing YOUR favourite is lost.

I have been a part of EWW since 04/05 and do not get paid for my service, I voluntarily do EWW shows because I believe that they are something different and something special. I am annoyed that a company is coming to steamroll the work that has been put in building up the gathering that we have, especially from a company who is claiming that financial gain is the driver behind such an action.

The apology is terrible, the construction of the action has been terrible and the 'reasoning' behind the 'positioning' is atrocious.

We all know what is going to happen with Herne Bay, you are going to run it until the interest dries or the interest is bigger somewhere else, then Herne Bay will be taken off your list and another pocket of England will be deprived. I have experience in knowing what VPW has done in the past and it is against the code of British Wrestling. I am upset that EWW may not return to Herne Bay and I understand that a business has to make business calls, but I believe I speak for those associated with EWW when I say that the way VPW have handled this situation has been nothing less than unprofessional and detrimental to a Brotherhood that has been in the crumbling phase for a generation.

I will not speak ill of your product, as that, would be unprofessional.

• Paid Members
If Billy Gunn is coming I am going to be there.

As long as they put on a good show thats all I care about when I pay my money.

Saying that I would be pissed off if I was EWW though, but don't a lot of promotions run in the same areas?

They shouldnt, its bad form. And if you are planning to invade another promotions territory, then good manners suggest that you would approach said rival promoter first.

What UK Kid has to remember is that EWW is a very tight family unit, and as you know in britwres, its a small world. Oe of these days, UK kid could likely find himself in a locker room with any one of the fiercely loyal EWW roster.

Not a threat....just pointing out the realities.

Hasnt UK Kid done this to other promotions in the past few years? Whatever happened to old school morals?

I don't remember anyone contacting me when EWW ran Coventry.

Archived