UK WRESTLING EXPIERENCE

seanz25

• Paid Members

I think it's fair enough that people criticise the promotion/show/wrestlers. As others have said, by putting their product out there they are inviting people to form an opinion.

In addition, if you would expect people to criticise shitty little US indy promotions, filmed in front of tiny audiences, with crap production values and awful commentators, then being a UK promotion doesn't exempt you from being judged against the same standards.

The main thing I think about it all is that if this is the general opinion that the UKFF members have formed on watching the show, bearing in mind they are more "hardcore", "smarter" wrestling fans who are more likely to have experienced indy promotions and other small-time shows with poorer production, then what on earth would the general public actually make of it if they saw it?

"Good to have UK wrestling on TV" isn't the case when a bad product could actually cause more harm than good. I think many UK promotions see TV as a great opportunity which will give them an advantage. Truth is, unless the promotion and its output is of a certain standard, it's going to have quite the opposite effect.

By any standards you wish to judge it, this show was awful.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I start...Everyone needs to lay off Robbie X, the guy is really talented and a top kid as well! If 99% of UK wrestlers outside the top promotions put in the same amount of effort as Robbie, and had half his talent, the UK scene would be much better!

Also, I think that the promotion should be commended for getting their product on television, and trying to raise awareness of British wrestling. I also appreciate that in a 1/2 hour slot, it is difficult to build any wrestlers/stories up.

However

As for the show itself...It was mediocre at best.

Firstly, the show assumed that audiences would have some interest in British wrestling and didn't build up any of the wrestlers. I don't think this is the case at all, and in fact, the majority of wrestling fans will probably have never seen a British show (apart from ASW maybe).

Whilst I thought both matches were decent,the show was completely ruined by the production values, editing/camera placement, commentary, audio, choice of matches (why put Robbie on as a heel against someone bigger than him when, to an audience that has never seen him before, he is a natural face.)

All these faults meant that British wrestling was made to look small time. I know that, in the grand scheme of things it is, but no effort seemed to be made to try to mask this fact! Some decent branding, a couple of good cameras, a professional looking commentary team/hosts and audio that worked would have transformed the show, and made it look at least half decent.

As for the choice of matches, surely, if you are trying to showcase your promotion for the first time, you need to put on something different. Why did they put on two singles matches, when there could have been a singles and a tag or a four way?

As for the comments that say no British promotion is ready (production wise) for television, there are several that I can think of (FWA,IPW,GPW,PBW,NGW off the top of my head) that I reckon could have produced something better, which could have encouraged new fans to go down to their local shows.

This show did not do that at all, and probably did the opposite for a casual wrestling fan.

• Paid Members
Firstly, the show assumed that audiences would have some interest in British wrestling and didn't build up any of the wrestlers.

Surely that's a fair assumption isn't it? Who the hell is going to go channel hopping and stop on "My channel"?

Firstly, the show assumed that audiences would have some interest in British wrestling and didn't build up any of the wrestlers.

Surely that's a fair assumption isn't it? Who the hell is going to go channel hopping and stop on "My channel"?

errr i did (see post 74) - i saw it on the "on next" when i was going up and down the channels otherwise i wouldnt have seen it.

errr... me too... saw it by absolute chance on the sky planner....

• Paid Members

errr i did (see post 74) - i saw it on the "on next" when i was going up and down the channels otherwise i wouldnt have seen it.

Blimey!

• 1 month later...

Archived