UK WRESTLING EXPIERENCE

seanz25

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing is, too many people are clamouring for British Wrestling to be on TV that it's some sort of holy grail, and willing to throw away common sense to get there.

Think of another show. Let's take Coronation Street. Now let's say it's filmed with a couple of handheld cameras bought from Maplin, uses a few local actors who have maybe been doing it for five years, and throw in a couple of people who think they're writers. Would it be pulled within a week? I'd bet it would be. Not even the name could save it if the show nose-dived to those depths.

So if I show like Coronation Street with 50 years of history behind it wouldn't be broadcast then what makes people think an up-start with the same level of production should be on TV? It's nonsensical. There's too many people clamouring for a slice of a pie that doesn't exist. If the wrestling scene were purged in order to clear the way for something with money and contacts to start a proper organisation training wrestlers how to act on TV, using proper production-level sound and video equipment, and filling a good-sized venue, then it may have a change of being looked at by a TV executive and not making him giggle just so loud.

I think British wrestling promoters should just focus on putting on good shows, and if a TV company comes knocking then fuckin' brilliant. You've done something right. But if you're having to go to TV stations to beg for TV time on an obscure digital channel, then you probably shouldn't be on TV in the first place. The problem with being on TV is you get compared to your competitors. And UK Wrestling Experience might think, "Great, lads! We're on TV! People are bound to flock in now!" then they're mistaken. Someone who lands on UK Wrestling Experience's show is going to compare its shortcomings to WWE, and go, "Ha-ha, look at these guys trying to be wrestlers."

It's a shame for UK Wrestling Experience, as I've heard good things about their live shows. But TV is far too much to bite off and chew for them or, as has been said before, any UK promotion at the moment.

Brilliant Post!

robbie x has seen the inside of a gym 5 days a week, someones got to clean it :laugh:

Robbie X does indeed goes to the gym 5 days a week (to work out!), eats healthly, also works out at home and is totally dedecated to his wrestling and has been in the UKFF top 50 workers for the last 2 years, he's only just turned 16 and started training at 13, now for a kid who just 'cleans the gym' he's doing pretty darn well for himself, is there room for improvement in his heel work, for sure as he's always been the underdog face and only just started out as a heel, that will come in time, if you have any doubts on this lads ability, ask the guys he's worked what they think of his talent, Kid Fite, El Ligero, Kris Travis, Martin Kirby, Sam Bailey, CJ Banks, Joey Hayes, Danny Hope, Bubblegum, Lionheart to name a just a few, guy's who know what it's like to be work a match! Hell even Kid Kash put this guy over on the mic off his own back after a match they were involved in but what would he know hey, Robbie X for the shit list this year I guess for the keyboard warriors to get their revenge on this 16yr old who just happens to be talented, I won't reply to anymore posts, i'll just leave you guys again to make your own little jokes to amuse yourselves :-)

Rightttt okay.. that makes sense :rolleyes:

You're saying UKW shouldn't be on TV until they have sufficient production qualities.

I'm saying you shouldn't be running shows unless you have sufficient funds to pay the talent & refund the fans for cancellations.

Simple, no?

True, which is why we cancelled The Pain in The Park show :)

So the guy gets criticised for trying to run a show. at least hes attempting to achieve his dream. i think it was eintstein who said that those who have never made mistakes have never attempted anything new or ambitious. And i agree with him, production wise it gives the uk a bad name. i believe only the fwa or ipw could od the uk scene justice on tv

Y'see though... 1PW have made the same mistakes over & over & keep losing money - in fact, they're still trying to run shows, which will no doubt lose more money, until they make yet another comeback, only to repeat it all again.

I don't think Einstein was endorsing the inability to learn from mistakes - he was referring to making some mistakes along the way (yes; small mistakes - not glaring & repeated fundamental errors), and learning from them, then improving, and then eventually succeeding through perseverance & aptitude.

Note the last word. It's very important.

Can't believe I'm going to take some heat off 1PW here, especially since I agree with herbie more often than not, but herbie jumping in to criticise 1PW's comments about show production then an attack on the people running it. Danny did say his views were his own not the company and also said he believed FWA was the only company with the production to put a show on TV he didn't attack UKW to make them look less than 1PW and only said what has been said by everyone else. Considering 1PW did have a tv show I think hes qualified to say from 1PWs mistakes that this show isn't going to work either. Who knows maybe one day a british company could get back on national tv on the super successful TWC :rolleyes:

Let the attack on me begin for that post herbie but I'm just trying to say that the way you went about attacking Danny for losing money and not having a successful company was just a reminder of your success.

think its pretty funny that 1pw have previously had a tv show?? and yet are complaining that it could damage the industry bit hypocritical ??? think its all abit sad really if you dont like it dont watch it???

• Paid Members
I gotta ask...what exactly is a "less than wrestling body type"?

15-year-old kid who has never seen the inside of a gym I would guess.

So Robbie X then!!

Robbie X's entrance was where I totally lost interest.

After five minutes of opening credits, some shite presenters who we couldn't hear promising us DDT's and suplexes and a commentary team that we couldn't hear and who made Michael Cole and Matt Striker look good, we then get some 3ft 2in reception class kid trying to generate some crowd heat.

I heard Robbie X thought he had grown a pube the other day, but then he wee'd through it

Why do you feel the need to make a personal attack on Robbie X, he is one of the most talented young performers in the uk today. He is dedicated to the sport and works out almost daily. Ask any professional wrestler what they think of him and I promise it would be good ! If you actually look at him you will see that the results are working.

From what I've seen and know of Robbie X I think that's pretty harsh. If you think he's the worst, I hope you never see the actual worst. I know Robbie's generally well liked and rated by the guys that work for me. Having said that, I suppose that's the risk of being exposed to a wider audience in this fashion at such a young age, and everyone is of course entitled to an opinion. Didn't see the TV show so I won't wade into that debate haha...

• Paid Members
think its pretty funny that 1pw have previously had a tv show?? and yet are complaining that it could damage the industry bit hypocritical ??? think its all abit sad really if you dont like it dont watch it???

To be fair to him, One Pro Wrestling had its TV show during one of the incarnations before Danny took the reigns.

I agree that its a case of getting the things that didn't impress to be improved to the point where they are right. The matches weren't bad and while they have some duff roster members (don't we all), they have some great talent.

I get the dinstinct impression that its a case of buying TV time rather than earning a deal so I wouldn't worry about the show being pulled. That's not a pop at UKW, just an observation, fair play to them if they can do that. I just feel neither the company nor the channel should have aired that show til it was right and I hope they do that in future to put out a product that is well rounded and worth watching. At the moment it feels like a chore due to poor sound production but that doesn't mean they should give up, they should be inspired to improve the product and prove many wrong.

The thing is, too many people are clamouring for British Wrestling to be on TV that it's some sort of holy grail, and willing to throw away common sense to get there.

Think of another show. Let's take Coronation Street. Now let's say it's filmed with a couple of handheld cameras bought from Maplin, uses a few local actors who have maybe been doing it for five years, and throw in a couple of people who think they're writers. Would it be pulled within a week? I'd bet it would be. Not even the name could save it if the show nose-dived to those depths.

So if I show like Coronation Street with 50 years of history behind it wouldn't be broadcast then what makes people think an up-start with the same level of production should be on TV? It's nonsensical. There's too many people clamouring for a slice of a pie that doesn't exist. If the wrestling scene were purged in order to clear the way for something with money and contacts to start a proper organisation training wrestlers how to act on TV, using proper production-level sound and video equipment, and filling a good-sized venue, then it may have a change of being looked at by a TV executive and not making him giggle just so loud.

I think British wrestling promoters should just focus on putting on good shows, and if a TV company comes knocking then fuckin' brilliant. You've done something right. But if you're having to go to TV stations to beg for TV time on an obscure digital channel, then you probably shouldn't be on TV in the first place. The problem with being on TV is you get compared to your competitors. And UK Wrestling Experience might think, "Great, lads! We're on TV! People are bound to flock in now!" then they're mistaken. Someone who lands on UK Wrestling Experience's show is going to compare its shortcomings to WWE, and go, "Ha-ha, look at these guys trying to be wrestlers."

It's a shame for UK Wrestling Experience, as I've heard good things about their live shows. But TV is far too much to bite off and chew for them or, as has been said before, any UK promotion at the moment.

I thought you made a lot of valid points with honesty, rather than negativity. I literally only glanced at this programme because my son had it on (he turned over fairly quickly).

My observations within the 2 minutes i watched were:

1. Always good to see new wrestling on TV

2. The venue is a shithole

3. Why not edit out the botches or show matches that do not have botches in them?

4. Hopefully they will improve or hand over to another promotion who could do British Wrestling more justice.

Caught this last night, saw it on planner as i was channel hopping and thought I would give it a try.

Initial thoughts in a (hopefully) constructive manner

Positives

Uk wrestling back on TV no matter what the format or station it is on - any publicity is good publicity at the end ofthe day. Even if people think its terrible then it is still raising an awareness of the promotion and it could be a case of "lets go and get our faces on tv laughing at it"

Gives production and wrestlers a chance to develop skills that maybe they wouldnt of thought of in order to be more aware to selling to the camera and the audience

Negaitves

Production quality is not to a standard that is of a positive note. the sound engineering is terrible and and commentary is not audible over the crowd noise. A commentary dubbing would have been a better option or at the very least patch the audio straight through from the ring announcer instead of relying on external mics. Im not sure on the time between recording and screening but surely when rigging up a test run would have been done and this would have been identified.

Presenters - Sorry but again the sound quality is so low its inaudible, if someone from the promotion can clarify what equipment they used but it sounds like boom (or even camera) mics in an empty room which generate the poor sound. Couple of lapel mics would increase the quality greatly for minimal cost and again do post production to enhance quality. People say change the presenters but i say give them a decent script to follow so they dont fluster and if they do then re-record. If they still dont work out then i've do radio and have presented before for promtional videos :D

Camera's - some good shots used but again the production did give it a feel of a very low budget environment. Someone made the comment about editing out the botches, i would agree with this in the first series as you want to present the best product available.

The running order - This is not a knock to the guys in the first match but it should have been the other way round. El ligero is one of the most recognisable guys on the scene and for the casual coming onto the show to see the masked guy vs the powerhouse would garner my attention more then the match that was shown first, plus it would have the added bonus of Robbie's attack on Ligero costing him the match then straight after he comes on and you think "thats the bad guy who attacked Ligero,we dont like him" instant heel status to the casual fan. I had never seen either of them before and had no idea who was the face/heel. If i had seen him attack a "good guy" first then it would have indicated which way he played.

The whole programme itself had a rush to production feel, take the time and get it right guys, most importantly good luck and please take my comments just as that, my comments and opinions.

Archived