Undertaker/Sting discussion thread, inc 14/02 *Raw Spoilers*

danchilton

• Paid Members

That's gotta be Sting, that's gotta be Sting!

Seriously...HAS to be. As mentioned, that is a Sting promo all over. Someone having a hyped arrival for the first Raw in the run-up to Wrestlemania...in Atlanta. Sting. Sting. STING.

Someone mentioned surely they'd announce it being Sting rather than leaving it a mystery. Obviously, they'll play up the mysterious vignettes for a while and i'd imagine slowly showing more of the figure before finally revealing who it is with the paint covered face, possibly at the Elimination Chamber show itself, ala revealing Goldberg at Wrestlemania 19 and everyone goes a bit fucking mental with excitement. Even if it's only revealed on the night advertised and it is Sting (which it HAS to be!) his in-ring debut would still be being hyped massively for Wrestlemania and that's where the buys count.

Those not wanting to be disappointed, convincing themselves it's not Sting, i'm certain it's Sting, my main concern is who he'd be facing with Undertaker out of the picture at the moment and that maybe getting him in is a little out of desperation with Undertaker unable to appear. I was never one particularly bothered about Sting-Taker being a Wrestlemania dream match (or that fussed about Sting) but, i love promo vids like this and the Starrcade '97 shiz and admittedly want Sting - Undertaker to be the case now, it could work very, very well and be absolute magic.

Edited by purplemonkeydishwasher

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is Sting and he faces Taker it poses a big question though. Who wins?

Would Sting come to WWE after over two decades in the business only to lose his first, and possibly only, match in the company? Would he really take a big paycheck to come into untested waters only to put over a 45 year-old who only wrestles sporadically, merely because of a fabled streak? Conversely, what if Sting wins? Would the Undertaker, a famed backstage politician, really be cool with Sting showing up for one match and ending his WrestleMania streak, which at this point is one of the only truly tangible year-to-year events at WrestleMania? And what would the reactions be from the fans, if Sting were to come in, wrestle one time, but in doing so put a pock mark on a previously-undefeated streak?

I've written in the Raw thread for this week a lot of my thoughts on this but one other thought I had was they played the mysterious video pagage with the date (no mention of he's coming or anything, just the date) on Raw without a mention at all and they played it twice in the one night. Usually I am used to seeing a video package for some debut on Smackdown or on Raw, but usually on Smackdown and it's only usually shown once and never really hides who it is and it has the coming soon or he's coming at the end. Now, what makes me think it isn't Undertaker is this date is the date of a Monday, when Raw is on, Undertaker is on Smackdown so if he was coming back or returning he'd have it shown on Smackdown or at the least it would probably be the date of Smackdown or a PPV. The video package shown twice in one night, with a mystery to who it's about and also showing just the date and how it has created so much interest has me thinking it is a very big deal and reminds me of Jericho's return video, shown twice in one night, the commentators didn't really mention it and so on. So an Undertaker return isn't really so big a deal for that considering Jericho was out for a few years, Undertaker's only been gone for a few months so to create such a big deal like that makes me think it might not be him, unless it is to do with him returning in time for Wrestlemania and he;ll be a hybrid of the deadman and the biker, hence the boots and trenchcoat, if that is the case I bet the guys in WWE are worried like hell and trying to contact Sting now as the internet went crazy last night when that video came on and people on the WWE Universe chat were going on about it possibly being Sting.

• Paid Members

If it was Taker, it'd say "Undertaker returns on X date", where as this is trying to hide the person in question.

As for Jericho, although nobody really mentioned his stuff (the 2nd coming/matrix stuff) that was going on for ages, and also they did mention it as it was shown on raw/smackdown and even the clip shows. Not sure who else it'd be, as again i'd love it to be sting.

Sting vs Taker at mania? Taker would have to win for me, even though sting if my favourite wrestler of all time, it'd just be bad for WWE for sting to walk in and beat him. For some reason i'd also love to see the stinger get tombstoned, not sure why but i think that image would be a great one.

Perhaps...

Sting & The Undertaker vs. The Corre and/or The Nexus

Undertaker won't be 100% so he'll be protected in a multi-man match. Sting doesn't want to see 'another nWo' take over the business. Streak alive, Sting doesn't have to lose and sure people have wanted Taker vs Sting for years but a Taker/Sting tag team could be just as amazing.

Hell, bring him back for Summerslam or Survivor Series for the match against Taker if need be, that way the streak wouldn't be broken if Sting won nor would Sting's only match be a loss at Mania.

Just a thought.

Who'd have thought a vignette could get me (and so many other people) so excited when we really know nothing but a date! :) Marvellous work WWE!

Edited by BenPhoenix

If they build it right, Sting-Taker could be a huuuuge deal and a real Wrestlemania classic. Fingers crossed!

Yes it could, but not this year.

I will be in the minority here no doubt but my opinion is ~

If they were to do Sting vs Undertaker, it would deserve the sort of hype that Taker and Michaels got. Plus as someone has already mentioned, there is no way any fan could possibly be convinced that Sting has a chance of winning. Will Sting come in for one night only, a night that is arguably 10+ years in the making, to lose his first and maybe only match? Doubtful.

If they could convince Sting to sign a 1 year (ish) contract, have him be a main star in the company for almost a year, then start to build his match with Taker at next years Rumble or even this years Survivor Series. But then we have the problem that Taker is hardly in good condition now, what's he going to be like in a year??

Sorry but Undertaker vs Sting would be too little too late for me. Either it would be rushed for this year and not reach it's potential, or they'l wait a year and by then who knows what shape either man is in. Sorry wwe but you left it too late.

Assuming it is Sting and I hope to god it is, he would be better against someone else at Mania, if he hadn't won the Rumble i'd have said Del Rio. Del Rio could have easily lost but got a big boost by wrestling Sting.

• Paid Members
If it is Sting and he faces Taker it poses a big question though. Who wins?

Would Sting come to WWE after over two decades in the business only to lose his first, and possibly only, match in the company? Would he really take a big paycheck to come into untested waters only to put over a 45 year-old who only wrestles sporadically, merely because of a fabled streak? Conversely, what if Sting wins? Would the Undertaker, a famed backstage politician, really be cool with Sting showing up for one match and ending his WrestleMania streak, which at this point is one of the only truly tangible year-to-year events at WrestleMania? And what would the reactions be from the fans, if Sting were to come in, wrestle one time, but in doing so put a pock mark on a previously-undefeated streak?

This isn't a bad thing, this is exactly why Sting is one of the few who is an ideal opponent for Undertaker at Wrestlemania to actually create intrigue as to the outcome of the match. These other ideas proposed in the following posts to avoid that situation are madness.

And to Invisible boy mentioning WWE would be desperately trying to get hold of Sting after fans speculating if it was him after the video was aired is equally as mad. You really think that clip isn't designed to get certain people thinking 'holy shit, is that going to be Sting!?!'

Edited by purplemonkeydishwasher

During an interview with Brian Fritz of Fanhouse.com, Chris Jericho said that he may be returning to the ring soon. "I consider it always because it's not like it was in 2005 where I was sick of wrestling." Jericho told Fanhouse. "Sick of it is maybe a harsh word. Disenchanted, I guess, is a better word.

"I wasn't disenchanted when I left in September. It was just my contract was up. That was it. And there were other things just waiting to come through. Even if I was coming back, I always would have taken those four months, three months off to do the Fozzy tours. Then other things have kind of popped up to delay my return."

On his contractual status with WWE Jericho said: "I mean, there's a deal on the table, he said. "A deal on the table that's 90-percent done. There's a couple of minor things that we had to hammer out. It would just be a matter of what other stuff is going on and how that stuff is going."

Who'd have thought a vignette could get me (and so many other people) so excited when we really know nothing but a date! :) Marvellous work WWE!

Its only marvellous if it is Sting, if its Taker or even worse some new guy with a mask etc, then WWE have just fucked themselves, people will be even more disappointed with a WM without Sting and Taker fighting Wade.

With no Goldberg and no Lensar, their is no big time money match at WM this year, and Vince cant let that happen, otherwise this WM buys will have the worst in years.