Beer Money

Ant

• Paid Members
Thats a bit harsh, its TNA. they have no clue. Look at Pope at the moment, gives it all he's got, gets great reaction, but his recent fueds have been dire, which could be considered by people as Pope dying on his arse!

The Pope's matches are generally met with apathy because his comebacks (in Kevin Nash's words) "are like a black Trish Stratus" and his offence is pretty shite. For me, he's also hit and miss on the mic. He doesn't know whether he's The Rock one week, Dusty Rhodes the next or Ric Flair the week after. I cant remember the last time he had a good match actually. The reason he's dying on his arse, is because he probably is.

I think us British fans mark like bitches for them because they drink beer all the time, something we can relate to unlike most things in American culture. From a wrestling standpoint, there's no team like Beer Money, two quality heavyweight wrestlers in their prime who have outstanding matches and appear to work better as a tag team than on their own.

Amen to that brother.

I think they are both decent, solid wrestlers but neither single would be as good as the team for me. Long time teams are a dying art these days but watching these guys is like a throw back to some of the awesome teams of years past. I like them.

• Paid Members

Screw it, if they keep bringing in/knocking up new teams, turning Beer Money when needed, they can keep going for years. When either they or the Bucks turn, there's a fresh match up on the current roster, and I'm sure they could work a good series acting as crash mats/bases for the Bucks the way they have for the Guns.

It's a shame Vince doesn't care about tag team wrestling any more, else they'd have been stolen by now. Maybe hope when Hunter takes the reigns.

• Paid Members

Robert Roode's a pure star for me. He could be massive. Most in the business rate him as well. He just looks and wrestles great. If his contract ends, WWE should snap him up. Everything about Robert Roode's initial singles push was wrong, from the lazy cunts (Booker T) and useless fuckers (Eric Young) he was working with, to the horrid mis-shaped bint they put as his valet, and the silly throwback to the 1980s gimmick he had. He still wrestled like a star, but fuck me they couldn't have fucked that one up more than they did. James Storm is good, but Roode makes the team. And he's never had to suck Bob Ryder off.

Just look at him. He's money.

Robert-Roode-tna-superstar-9.jpg

• Paid Members
Robert Roode's a pure star for me. He could be massive. Most in the business rate him as well. He just looks and wrestles great. If his contract ends, WWE should snap him up. Everything about Robert Roode's initial singles push was wrong, from the lazy cunts (Booker T) and useless fuckers (Eric Young) he was working with, to the horrid mis-shaped bint they put as his valet, and the silly throwback to the 1980s gimmick he had. He still wrestled like a star, but fuck me they couldn't have fucked that one up more than they did. James Storm is good, but Roode makes the team. And he's never had to suck Bob Ryder off.

Just look at him. He's money.

Robert-Roode-tna-superstar-9.jpg

WWE were after him when his contract expired a year or so ago, he decided to resign with TNA for some reason. Roode is a great all-rounder with an excellent spinebuster.

WWE were after him when his contract expired a year or so ago, he decided to resign with TNA for some reason. Roode is a great all-rounder with an excellent spinebuster.

It depends what was on offer from the WWE. There's enough cautionary tales of TNA wrestlers going to WWE and either going to shit or not being used to any effect (Monty Brown, Chris Harris, Gail Kim - they've even managed to make me completely lose interest in Christian a few years after he was my favourite thing on TV) to make him think twice at this stage of his career. Good as he is, at present I could see him getting lost in Smackdown midcard purgatory. A couple of years down the line, it might be a different story.

they've even managed to make me completely lose interest in Christian a few years after he was my favourite thing on TV

A lot of the blame has to go on Christian for turning up looking like a frail old man of seventy. Although it did lead to William Regal brilliantly calling him Benjamin Button on NXT.

• Paid Members

It depends what was on offer from the WWE. There's enough cautionary tales of TNA wrestlers going to WWE and either going to shit or not being used to any effect (Monty Brown, Chris Harris, Gail Kim - they've even managed to make me completely lose interest in Christian a few years after he was my favourite thing on TV) to make him think twice at this stage of his career. Good as he is, at present I could see him getting lost in Smackdown midcard purgatory. A couple of years down the line, it might be a different story.

To be fair, Monty Brown is a poor example to use here. He was getting a bit of a push but left the business for a while for family reasons.

Also Braden Walker was blatantly the best thing Chris Harris has ever done.

Roode signed a 5-year deal with TNA back in 2009 so by the time his TNA deal expires he'll be 36 years old and at that point I'm not sure if WWE will want anything to do with him.

There's absolutely no reason for Beer Money to go to WWE besides having a crack at that company. I'm sure the money in TNA is good, TNA actually have a tag team division, and they are treated like top guys. If I was them, I'd go for a couple of years, safe in the knowledge I'd always have a place waiting back down south.

Back on topic, though, they get star reactions because they are stars. They are the best tag team to come along since the Dudleys, often have the best match of the night on tv and PPV at least, and generally deserve everything they get.

I don't think you have to "get it" in regards to any team or singles competitor - OK, you may not get why people are so hot on Beer Money but I don't get people being fans of Alberto Del Rio or The Miz for example. Personally, Beer Money are one of my favourite tag teams - they're second only behind the Motor City Machine Guns but there's not much to divide these two teams in my opinion. James Storm has the beer swilling cowboy gimmick down pat and Roode is a great technical wrestling - the two of them gel together really well and I'd hate to see them split up.

• Paid Members
Thats a bit harsh, its TNA. they have no clue. Look at Pope at the moment, gives it all he's got, gets great reaction, but his recent fueds have been dire, which could be considered by people as Pope dying on his arse!

The Pope's matches are generally met with apathy because his comebacks (in Kevin Nash's words) "are like a black Trish Stratus" and his offence is pretty shite. For me, he's also hit and miss on the mic. He doesn't know whether he's The Rock one week, Dusty Rhodes the next or Ric Flair the week after. I cant remember the last time he had a good match actually. The reason he's dying on his arse, is because he probably is.

Much as I hate to admit it, I think this assessment's correct. About six to eight months ago, I was all excited about Pope being, effectively, TNA's first "home-grown" superstar main eventer (AJ's main event, but he's not really that much of a glamorous one, even now). He was great on the mike, had a cool gimmick with a load of "hooks", and genuinely seemed to be on course to prove WWE wrong for releasing him. Scroll on to now, he's stuck in a dead zone in a pointless face?-face feud, and he's shown nothing new. Even crap offence is forgivable if the guy brings something else to the table (see: Cena), but Pope just hasn't done it. He needs to find something, and fast.

I'd swear that was Chris Harris. It's one of the things that pops up every year in that recurrent "sleaze" thread - that Storm got an easy time of it in TNA's early days as part of AMW, because Harris was doing all the "work" for them.

Roode is awesome, and I do love how they're effectively positioning him as the Arn Anderson of Fortune (which, I suppose, would make Storm the Gene, Ole or Barry Windham?), right down to the finisher - I'm so glad we're finally seeing someone use an actual Spinebuster as a finisher, for the first time in fucking years, and even more glad he dropped "The Payoff": the only guy for whom a fisherman's suplex was ever really a valid finisher was Perfect, IMO.

I do disagree with the dismissal of Storm, though - thinking back to when he came out of the feud with Harris (which was actually pretty decent), and had that brief solo run as the Tennessee Cowboy, I remember being surprised at how much he'd improved since his pre-AMW days. His offence, though unspectacular, was solid, his character much more developed, and when he gets time on the mike, he's really quite good. Nowadays, he doesn't get all that much mike time, and yet his catchphrase of "Sorry 'bout your damn luck!" is still over. His intensity and charisma are strengths for him, and I will go so far as to say that I reckon, given enough time, he could reach upper-midcard/transitional main event status.

Archived