TNA Europe

Super Cena

After reading a couple of ideas in the TNA TV deal thread it got me thinking about whether TNA could make a go of a UK/European-based show and what you guys think. (I'm shamelessly pinching some ideas for here, so I apologise beforehand.)

It's well known that the UK is a super strong market for TNA and I believe that it's always drawn fairly impressive numbers for its TV shows over here. My idea would be for iMPACT! to remain as their main show, and still be shown and presented over here as such. However, the UK/European-based show would still be taped over in Orlando in an Explosion-esque manner and would be aired over here (and also around Europe) on a Saturday afternoon on Challenge. As posted in the other thread, it would be awesome for the British public to have wrestling back on a free channel in this timeslot and would no doubt garner plenty of good publicity. TNA have already got a healthy number of British guys on their payroll and they'd no doubt find another few Europeans to accompany them. Considering it would only be for an hour long show each week, they wouldn't need many more additional wrestlers, especially with a couple of American athletes appearing on the show too. In essence, they'd have what you could call a WWECW-type B show. Done correctly, I think they could pull off a European 'mini-tour' every month or two. The big boys (the Hardys, Andersons, Hogans, Styles' et al of TNA) would stay at home while the stars of this B-group would come and run a few cities over here. (Obviously adding one or two bigger attractions per tour would be needed). It would cost them a lot less than a full blown tour and I'm sure the guys would be more than happy to be able to spend some time working in their homeland.

The money TNA would receive from the TV revenue alone would be better than a kick in the teeth for them; they'd be able to create some UK and European-specific merchandise (a new belt etc) and they would probably make a nice sum from the mini-tours.

For me, TNA really has to concentrate on what they have in front of them. It's an interesting idea, but as seen, the company's stock hasn't rocketed since Bischoff/Hogan/Flair came in, to a point where I feel they are actually weaker than they were before 4/1/10. Plus, by having a two roster format, one group will inevitably come off weaker. Granted, the European viewers will have a new group directed solely at them, but they will always be more interested with the guys they have been watching for the past x amount of years.

i think a european PPV would be brilliant or an iMPACT special if they change to 4/6 PPV's. Run a 3 hour iMPACT special broadcast live on Challenge from Wembley Arena even run a title change at the show. TNA have nothing to lose by taping iMPACT in Britian instead of the US but it's obvious business decisions which TNA doesn't make and they don't understand why they can't move onto bigger things.

Thanks for the replies.

pizzazz941 - I agree completley with what you're saying in regards to how one show would come across as being weaker than the other. However, the show would be the equivalent of what Heat was to WWE, in that it wouldn't presented as an equal to the dominant segment of the brand, not even to the fans over here. We'd still watch iMPACT! and have that as our main dose of TNA for the week, and the TNA Maximum Impact tours would still be the ones that ran the larger venues. It would just be an addition to the TNA brand which, if nothing else, would appease the UK and European market which in turn could have a positive knock-on effect on the 'core' TNA product. I also agree with what you're saying about them having far more important issues to tackle right now - perhaps this is something that would be best put into action two or three years down the line. (Not that it would happen anyway.)

thefallenangel - A European PPV would be awesome, I agree. However I think that it would be a very expensive venture for TNA to pursue, and more than likely would cost more than what the potential return for them would be. A big iMPACT! special for us would be nice, but I think that the thing with going live is that it's just so much more expensive - fair enough if they're doing it in the States to one million plus viewers, but for them to do it over here - unfortunately, I can't see it been feasible for them.

Archived