UFC 127: Penn vs Fitch Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The cynic in me is sure that they've considered the effect that doing something like that might have on the horrible press coverage they have over there, but money to charity is money to charity. Good on them.

• Paid Members
I think the guys that could face Penn for the title include Condit, Lytle and Alves. Actually, they would all be awesome fights.

The guys that could face Fitch you mean ;)

Haha, I'm supporting Penn all the way. Even if Fitch does win, I'm sure Dana will come up with a way to avoid giving him a title shot.

He managed to avoid giving him a titleshot because a Strikeforce champion was willing to jump ship to the UFC. Once that fight is over & done with a victory over Penn will put Fitch way ahead of anyone else in the division.

Jon Fitch is way ahead of anyone in the division not called George St Pierre. Unless BJ beats him.

Fitch has spoke about fighting at Middleweight, i'd be interested to see how he does there, because for me, if he beats BJ Penn, there's only really Jake Shields for him to fight at Welterweight. Jon Fitch can probably lay claim to having cleared out his division without ever winning the title (and obviously with the exception of GSP)

I'd imagine that if there's even a sniff of GSP moving up to Middleweight, Fitch'll be staying right where he is. He and everyone else knows that with no GSP, a vacant Welterweight belt has his name all over it.

Yeah Fitch would be the man to beat in a post GSP 170 division for sure. He's been the number 2 welterweight by quite a distance for a long time whether people find him boring or not. If Fitch beats BJ then I think he'll be holding the title for a while.

I think Fitch would do well at 185 too though. Thinking about it, on paper at least, he seems to have a great style to beat Anderson Silva. He's got the wrestling like Chael Sonnen but, unlike Sonnen, he's notoriously hard to tap. His stand up's not bad when he uses it too. Of course Chael has size over Fitch and marketability too obviously but Fitch vs Anderson would interest me.

• Paid Members

The countdown to UFC 127 is on Wednesday night at 11.15 on ESPN.

I'm going nowhere next Saturday night, just get a few mates round and a load of cans and watch this lot

Sat 26th/Sun 27th

9.00pm - Syfy - BAMMA 5 Live (Paul Daley vs Yuya Shirai)

11.00pm - Syfy - Way of the Dragon (Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris) :thumbsup:

1.15am - ESPN - MMA Live

2.00am - ESPN - UFC Prelims Live (Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher)

3.00am - ESPN - UFC 127: Penn vs Fitch Live

MMA night :) think i'm at a gig that night so Sky+ will be working overtime.

Are the ESPN prelims only showing the Pearson/Fisher fight?

On MMA Live the other week they mentioned we would get Tuchscherer vs Hunt as well, don't know if it has changed since then though.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's listed for an hour so I'd suspect we'll at least get one other prelim, maybe more. I'd guess Hunt vs Tuchscherer would be a front runner but personally I really wanna see Gustafsson vs Te Huna or maybe Fukuda's debut.

Can't complain though, we weren't even meant to be getting prelims for this so anything's a bonus. And Pearson vs Fisher should be really good, probably my pick for FOTN now Lytle vs Condit is off.

• Paid Members

More talk from Bisping

"I'm excited to now be given the chance to shut Rivera up once and for all and highlight just how far out of his league he is ... He's a 38-year-old journeyman that has been around forever and never been the champion. That is the reality of the situation. If I have any desire to win the middleweight belt, I need to be running through someone like Rivera and beating him in style. He's tough, experienced and I respect his longevity and pride, but I need to be beating guys like this. ... I've looked at Rivera's punching style and it's not all that really. He kind of swings away and thumps, rather than punch straight and accurately. It just looks like he's trying to give the other guy a dead arm at times ... The aim is to make Rivera feel out of depth and then silence him. When a man talks as much rubbish as Rivera, there is no greater pleasure..."

Kinda agree to an extent that he should be beating Rivera but whatever he says about Jorge's punching techniques he does seem to have something Bisping doesn't and that's knockout power. If he thinks it's gonna be a walkover he could get a nasty shock like Hardy did against Condit.

I doubt that'll happen though, Bisping seems fired up and he'll know he's getting near title contention. Outside of Rivera landing a haymaker, which could happen, I see Bisping winning this either on points or a late stoppage.

Kinda agree to an extent that he should be beating Rivera but whatever he says about Jorge's punching techniques he does seem to have something Bisping doesn't and that's knockout power. If he thinks it's gonna be a walkover he could get a nasty shock like Hardy did against Condit.

It's maybe worth looking at the class of opponent that both fighters have faced in recent times though. Rivera may have scored some decent stoppages, but they were against guys like Rob Kimmons, Kendall Grove and Edwin Dewees. His only notable stoppage really has been against Nate Quarry, and even he's not exactly what I would term a top-level fighter.

When you look at Bispings record against lower level guys you'll see that he's put a lot of them away as well. Guys like Jason Day, Elvis Sinosic, Eric Schafer and Josh Haynes.

He also has an impressive stoppage win over Denis Kang, which came at the end of a dominant display by Bisping.

The funny thing is, when you check the percentage of wins via stoppage for both fighters, there isn't that much in it. It can't be argued, however, that Bisping has fought a much higher quality of opponent in recent times.

Archived