WON Awards for 2010

Happ Hazzard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I can see the similarities and the overlap in the audience. I'm not going to go into that debate but suffice to say I think MMA discussion has a place in the WON. That said, we discuss a lot of both on here but at least we have the good sense to keep them separate. What they've done here is kinda retarded. Why mix them together like that?

And if they insist on doing it like this, then Anthony Pettis' ninja kick should definitely be in the "Wrestling manoeuvre of the year" category.

I don't buy 442 to read about rugby and I'm not going to subscribe to WON to have half of the content focusing on another form of entertainment completely. I wouldn't expect to subscribe to a MMA newsletter and expect them to give so much time to pro wrestling.

I'm not disagreeing that UFC is a lot hotter than pro wrestling right now, but when the football season's finished for the summer do all the footy mags start holding awards for the Ashes?

However, I do know that the WON has a strong following and people do enjoy both wrestling and MMA, so fair play to them, I just think wouldn't spend my cash on it.

• Paid Members
I don't buy 442 to read about rugby and I'm not going to subscribe to WON to have half of the content focusing on another form of entertainment completely. I wouldn't expect to subscribe to a MMA newsletter and expect them to give so much time to pro wrestling.

I think that's fine and I agree with it. I like MMA but I love pro-wrestling. It showed good foresight from Meltzer though to cover both. Whether it was prophetic or he just liked MMA, I dunno, but it's proved a wise move given the downturn in popularity of wrestling and the upturn in popularity of MMA. There is a big crossover too.

Mixing award catagories is silly though.

I'm not disagreeing that UFC is a lot hotter than pro wrestling right now, but when the football season's finished for the summer do all the footy mags start holding awards for the Ashes?

However, I do know that the WON has a strong following and people do enjoy both wrestling and MMA, so fair play to them, I just think wouldn't spend my cash on it.

How is MMA an "entirely different form of entertainment completely"?

How many footballers also play cricket at the highest level?

• Paid Members
MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC

1. STAND UP FOR WWE CAMPAIGN168

2. Rob Terry chair shot75

3. Tommy Dreamer bloodbath in front of his young daughters57

I fucking knew that would happen. The Generico/Steen chairshot never happened, yeah?

I noticed that Fin Martin was fine with the Generico/Steen chairshot as well. I think the idea is that, because it was built to, and because it was a part of a long-build storyline, it at least had a point. And, of course, it was sold.

Whereas with Rob Terry, it didn't build to anything, it didn't achieve anything, and he no-sold it. If it achieved anything, it briefly made him look hard as nails. However, it was the gradual no-selling of chairshots that led to the constant one-upmanship with regards to chairshots, amongst other things. So it ticked the wrong boxes with everyone.

• Paid Members

Ian 'Beefy' Botham.

Many have played both at the top level. I'd not be surprised if the number is greater than the crossover between Pro Wrestling and MMA.

Archived