Positivity Thread!

Dynamite Duane

Awesome stuff here. :thumbsup:

At the start of January, I assigned myself seven tasks to do before this year is out. They vary between serious, daft, easy and hard - some I thought I would've done years ago. I told my friends I'd set them but refused to say what they were, as they are things I need to do alone and didn't want the "hindering, not helping" people sticking their oar in and then saying I couldn't have done it without them. My reason for telling them was so I could use it as an incentive to get them done. To prevent me from changing what they were, I typed them up, numbered them, blacked them out and put them on Facebook. So the effort it would take to substitute a task for a new one with similar-looking letters may as well be put towards completing a task I've already set. I just wish I'd done something like this years ago.

It does beg one question, What are the seven tasks?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovin' all your contributions :wub: Keep 'em coming!

By the way if you're on Twitter you can use #positivity when sharing good news and words of inspiration. If you like share Twitters that inspire you! : )

@GreatestQuotes is a good one, there's also the Dalai Lama's.

I tweeted this one today:

Sometimes it's necessary to confront something negative in order to take a positive action.

:yinyang:

Just before christmas, I lost a couple of really close mates, and so I've been doing a fair few bits and bobs for PAPYRUS.

http://www.papyrus-uk.org/

It's a bit of a taboo subject for a lot of people, but Papyrus do a great job of prevention, and help for the aftermath. Top cause, worth a few bob of anyone's money.

Good Man

I used to volunteer for these:

http://www.mind.org.uk/

Had a pretty rough end to last year and had some personal problems. Also wasnt helped by the company I was working for going under and non of the employees getting any of the wages we were owed.

So started a new job in October, its web sales based but after having a chat with my boss last week he told me today that the company is going to pay for me to go and do a full SEO course which is something im really pleased with, oh and going to get the engagement ring for my partner this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a positive local one to me.

A bloke Adrian Boyd from the RNLI came to my son's school to talk about safety at the seaside recently. Adrian also does a show on Hospital Radio Bedside. My lad and a few others in hos class recorded their own little bit asking their dedications and introducing the show. He is also heavily involved in collecting for the NSPCC.

Adrian Boyd on Hospital Radio Bedside.

Must be really rewarding doing those 3 really worth-while things.

I saw a couple things about what makes people happy just recently, apart from sex and food, there's joy we get from our partners and children rating highly plus altruistic acts helping others not expecting anything in return. Just a small thing like buying the Big Issue instead of a magazine from WH Smith can give you a good feeling knowing you've helped someone else. I bought it a couple weeks ago, the seller spoke to me for little while and I could tell it perked him having a bit extra in his pocket.

A more random act of kindness I know 2 friends have done is paying for someone's meal you don't know when you eat out.

I was asked to mentor a bunch of sixth formers at my old school which I'm starting next month. There's a bunch of kids who are apparently quite gifted and need some encouragement in the right direction which the teachers aren't convinced they're getting at home. Specifically, there are some who are especially talented at IT but need someone in the industry to help them find a suitable career path, and even a couple of others who want to set up their own businesses and want help and advice. It's quite exciting to be in a position to help, I'm looking forward to it. The logistics of setting up your own business cannot really be taught from a textbook.

Cool, sounds good Matbro :cool:

Think this slots in here, depends whether you agree or not with the film though.

The Zeitgeist Movement seems to be positive thing, it's global positive movement as opposed to local stuff people are doing.

I've watched up to 42mins, impressed so far.

• Moderators
Cool, sounds good Matbro :cool:

Think this slots in here, depends whether you agree or not with the film though.

The Zeitgeist Movement seems to be positive thing, it's global positive movement as opposed to local stuff people are doing.

I've watched up to 42mins, impressed so far.

Oh, do shut up, you tiresome schizo. It's fine (albeit boring) for you to keep this bullshit in the Fortean thread but to start a thread about positive things and still find a way to bring it back to these long-winded nonsense videos is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome idea for a thread, it's good to see people using the internet for something other than to moan!

The year is off to a good start; I got a full time job the other day, which I start next week. :thumbsup:

This in turn has allowed me to afford to train at a wrestling academy not too far away. I can't wait!

• Moderators
I came home yesterday morning to find 24 boxes of Maltesers in my living room.

Yeah, I'm sure this belongs in here.

That's superb. Why were there 24 boxes of Maltesers in your front room, AND do you fancy "Paying it forward" as it were?

Archived