What do you think of the WWA

MarcMorgan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I attended the Newcastle events on both the full WWA UK tours.

First one was the one with Bret Hart as commissioner, who came out for his usual UK speech about Wembley Stadium, Davey Boy Smith, etc. Matches included Psicosis vs. Juventud Guerrera, Gangrel vs. Luna in a "Wedding from Hell" (hardcore) match, Buff Bagwell vs. Stevie Ray, Gran'Masta Sexay vs. Disco Inferno, Konnan and Nathan Jones vs. Leni and Lodi, Normal Smiley vs. Crowbar in a Tables match and Jeff Jarrett vs. Road Dogg, which turned into a 3-way with Scott Steiner. Bret put Jarrett in the shapshooter to end the show.

The second one had Sting & Nathan Jones vs. Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell in a sub-5-minutes main, Teo vs. Puppet in a midgets match with Midajah as the referee, Sabu vs. Perry Saturn vs. Simon Diamond in a 3 Way Dance, Shark Boy vs. Frankie Kazarian, Mike Sanders vs. Joe Legend, and Johnny Swinger, Malice, Nate Webb, Norman Smiley and Konnan were also there.

Good fun.

• Paid Members
I attended the Newcastle events on both the full WWA UK tours.

First one was the one with Bret Hart as commissioner, who came out for his usual UK speech about Wembley Stadium, Davey Boy Smith, etc. Matches included Psicosis vs. Juventud Guerrera, Gangrel vs. Luna in a "Wedding from Hell" (hardcore) match, Buff Bagwell vs. Stevie Ray, Gran'Masta Sexay vs. Disco Inferno, Konnan and Nathan Jones vs. Leni and Lodi, Normal Smiley vs. Crowbar in a Tables match and Jeff Jarrett vs. Road Dogg, which turned into a 3-way with Scott Steiner. Bret put Jarrett in the shapshooter to end the show.

This is exactly how the Wembley show went, although I can't recall the Gangrel/Luna match. It may well have happened, but if so it certainly wasn't memorable!

I remember being disappointed with Juvi VS Psicosis, given how good a match they can have. Buff VS Stevie Ray was rotten, I think I enjoyed Crowbar/Smiley most.

Do you think it's fair to say WWA laid the foundation for TNA? It had a lot of involvement from Jarrett I think, and Borash was booking it. A lot of the workers for WWA ended up with TNA when it started. And I seem to remember they unified the WWA title with the NWA title at some point, possibly during one of Jarrett's reigns.

Yeah, Jarrett unified the titles, which was a neat little way to end the whole thing.

I reckon WWA and XWF show what could have been possible in the aftermath of WCW if there had been anyone with the money and nouse to really build an alternative to WWF/E. Looking at both their rosters, they had some cracking guys and matches.

WWA did at least introduce the world to Nathan Jones, and lead to Scott Steiner getting hired by WWE, so it's not all bad.

• Paid Members
Yeah, Jarrett unified the titles, which was a neat little way to end the whole thing.

I reckon WWA and XWF show what could have been possible in the aftermath of WCW if there had been anyone with the money and nouse to really build an alternative to WWF/E. Looking at both their rosters, they had some cracking guys and matches.

WWA did at least introduce the world to Nathan Jones, and lead to Scott Steiner getting hired by WWE, so it's not all bad.

What I don't get though is that, Scott Steiner was "traded" to the WWF for Perry Saturn and The Godfather, yet The Godfather never showed up in the WWA?

What I don't get though is that, Scott Steiner was "traded" to the WWF for Perry Saturn and The Godfather, yet The Godfather never showed up in the WWA?

Apparently The Godfather didn't join the tour as he was getting messed about with flights (or at least in his view he was getting messed about with flights).

Archived