Worst tag team gimmick?

champkins

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I liked Well Dunn/Southern Rockers but I don't actually remember what their gimmick was in WWE? I remember their matches and enjoying them as a JTTS heel team but I legit don't remember if they did any skits with them, etc. What did they do character-wise and why did it suck?

Only thing I remember about them was that they won bow ties & thongs. And managed by Harvey Wippleman. That's about it.

• Paid Members
I liked Well Dunn/Southern Rockers but I don't actually remember what their gimmick was in WWE? I remember their matches and enjoying them as a JTTS heel team but I legit don't remember if they did any skits with them, etc. What did they do character-wise and why did it suck?

Only thing I remember about them was that they won bow ties & thongs. And managed by Harvey Wippleman. That's about it.

I remember that they seemed to only face the Bushwhackers in their whole tenure in the WWF.

• Paid Members
Personally I fucking hated Men On A Mission. What was their mission, did we know? I hated any wrestler that got by just by being a tub of guts, and these boys qualified. Plus if they were supposed to be from some New York ghetto, why were they so kiddy friendly with their waving and PG friendly rapping? The Gangstas would have mugged, murdered and eaten their fat asses. I hate any rapping wrestler and these guys had "R-Truth heat" for me. Maybe I'm subconsciously racist. And why the fuck was Mabel dressed in a brightly coloured bin bag? They looked like they should have been presenting Playdays. The only time I liked Men On a Mission was when they turned on the aforementioned gay cowboys, then beat up their annoying manager/carer. Then they started having matches again and I remembered they were shite.

you should listen to Big Vis's shoot interview. You'd think MOM were the second coming of Hogan and Flair.

On a side note, what was wrong with Kronik? Their gimmick seemed to consist of being big mercenary types who beat people up.

They had a bad match in WWE. So now everyone has decided they were shit all along.

Anyway, I've always thought the Heavenly Bodies and Bushwackers were tied for the worst, most boring, most pointless tag team of all time. Hideous both.

I actually got excited when Well Dunn showed up. They were never going to be serious players, but I liked having such a full card of tag teams. They were like a mid-90s Conquistadores. I remember seeing their first or second squash and they did almost nothing but flying forearms and jawjackers. It was fun.

Actually, they may not all have been around at exactly the same time, but I seem to recall the Gunns (with the AWESOME Revolver finish), the Quebecers, Well Dunn, MOM and maybe one or two others all showing up within a matter of a month or two. I was so excited, especially since they mostly had a bunch of cool double-team spots.

Anyway, I've always thought the Heavenly Bodies and Bushwackers were tied for the worst, most boring, most pointless tag team of all time. Hideous both.

Ah c'mon now, the Heavenly Bodies were fantastic, especially with the legend that is the Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray. They'd be a lot closer to my favourite teams than they'd be to the worst.

I'm sure i read somewhere that the Bushwhackers were seriously considered for beating Andre and Haku for the belts instead of Demolition at WM6, you can only imagine.....

Interesting to think how they would have done though if they were toughened up, and played the gimmick a bit edgier with more similarities to the Sheepherders...

I actually got excited when Well Dunn showed up. They were never going to be serious players, but I liked having such a full card of tag teams. They were like a mid-90s Conquistadores. I remember seeing their first or second squash and they did almost nothing but flying forearms and jawjackers. It was fun.

Actually, they may not all have been around at exactly the same time, but I seem to recall the Gunns (with the AWESOME Revolver finish), the Quebecers, Well Dunn, MOM and maybe one or two others all showing up within a matter of a month or two. I was so excited, especially since they mostly had a bunch of cool double-team spots.

1993 wasn't the worst year for WWF tag teams by a long shot, and i think those teams you listed were all around at the same time. Then you throw the Steiners, Headshrinkers, Heavenly bodies and Jannetty/Kid into it towards late 93, you have some division. Imagine how fun it would've been if Bret & Owen teamed for longer than a month in the lead up to the turn, and the Rock n Rolls hung around a bit longer.....

The Smokin Gunns really were pretty underrated imo, most folk seem to shit on them, but i never saw where the hate came from. And yeah, their double teams were always spectacular. What was the 'revolver' again, was it the back body drop into a piledriver, or the powerbomb/canadian backbreaker lift with the other one coming off the top and driving him down. I remember the sidewinder was the awesome looking sidewalk slam/top rope legdrop combo.

The Revolver was indeed the backdrop/piledriver combo. That thing was too sweet. Ludicrously dangerous, obviously, but they only did it to jobbers so it doesn't really matter. I assume they did hurt someone, or the Chuck Austin case got settled or something and that's how it got nixed. But it was cool while it lasted.

Mo ended up in Memphis as Sir Mo and later going by his real name of BJ Awesome. No really, that's what he said. I ran into him a few times when I was over there. He was actually a pretty cool guy - way more than you'd think. He's a midget though. 5'8" tops.

• Paid Members

Anyone looking for the Gunns' finisher:-

From 5:05 onwards - not the best one they hit, but there are a few other examples of them doing it to jobbers around YouTube. It was great.

• Paid Members
Anyone looking for the Gunns' finisher:-

From 5:05 onwards - not the best one they hit, but there are a few other examples of them doing it to jobbers around YouTube. It was great.

I was looking for it too. It was certainly an impressive move. Very dangerous.

They hit it at 3:48 here. This is their WWF debut match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIybOHnPuj4

I seem to recall them utilising Billy's "greatest pure athlete" abilities at one point too, with a crazy high standing dropkick on a guy Bart hoisted up as if for a Hart Attack clothesline. Am I imagining that?

Archived