Worst tag team gimmick?

champkins

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet there liked but i hated The Godwinns. Just 1 team i could never care about.

I would agree with you in terms of them as faces, only the Natural Disasters were less suited to playing that role than the Godwinns. As evil rednecks, and as Southern Justice and Slazenger/Pierce, they were fine. But yeah, the 'Don't go messin' with the country boys' Godwinns were absolutely dreadful.

The Dicks.

TheDicks.jpg

Edit: Fuck, beaten to it.

I met them when WWE done the TV tapings in Sheffield years ago. They were odd.

Absolutely hated the Bashams, especially when they had the dominatrix manager. Anyone else remember the angle when Bradshaw clotheslined her, and her breasts got bigger?! :duh:

Always thought the Bashams were a decent duo myself. I thought Doug especially played his S&M fan character well.

The gimmick was a bit shit though. I prefered JBL's "Co-Secretaries of Defense".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARtM6mm3MAo

• Paid Members

American Males

Lets be honest, they were pure cak and as stated many times before, possibly the worst theme in history.

Believe it or not, i fucking hated the Bushwackers as a kid, i couldn't stand them and have no fond memories, other than a match they had with the The Fabulous Rougeaus

check grab my balls at 3.28. (its a safe youtube link, dont worry).

I also didnt like the new and improved rockers, it was before i knew who Al Snow was and i just couldnt understand why Marty was now in a heel team that always got beat. I like the idea of the team now, just couldnt stand it then.

• Paid Members
title says it all, what do you think the worst tag team gimmick is? billy and chucky? the body donnas? kronick?

The Body Donnas, Billy and Chuck and Kronik were all class. Especially messers. Adams and Clark.

I don't get the hate from some for Billy and Chuck, they took something fairly simple and with the potential to be as bad as it could be good and did all they could to make it entertaining. I don't think they were bad, they did some enjoyable stuff and it gave two people best suited to a team something constructive to do that was fun to watch.

I remember reading in Superstars of Wrestling in 1993 about a gimmick team about to debut in the WWF called "The Boxing Turtles." Any idea if that saw the light of day?

The gimmick was tried out in one or two dark matches, but that was as far as it got. It was long term jobbers Duane Gill & Barry Hardy who comprised the team, and according to The History of the WWE website, they were known as Timmy & Tommy the Turtle.

:laugh: I'd heard of that but still never seen them and never realised it was as late as 1993. Proof once again that the Creative Forces in wrestling move three to five years behind the rest of popular culture.

Definitely, i always wondered what their mission was too. Creative really made a c*nt of them - from the raps and sheer annoyingness of Oscar, to the downright hideous attires and sickly sweet goodguy stuff, the MOM gimmick was an absolute crock of shit.

What made it worse was that they already had a perfectly decent name and gimmick as the Haarlem Knights, they could have kept the basics of that, even if they were bringing them in as faces.

For as much as people blame the writers for everything, in this case I think you are spot on that they ruined Men On a Mission/made them hard to get behind with the way they presented them. If they'd just been a bit more aggressive, dressed a bit differently and had a different name then their in-ring work could have been exactly the same but I agree they'd have done better.

Two big guys, especially when you have one that was as young as Mabel was, like that have that kind of size/weight and can move around (even if they don't look like they know what they are doing :p ) should have been easy to get over with the kids but they never really did, outside of their entrance/rap, even when they were pushed all the way to the tag titles. For that first six months or so they never seemed to lose to anyone and yet fellow babyfaces The Steiners, Gunns, 123 Kid and Marty Jannetty and the Headshrinkers all seemed far more over once the bell rang.

Gymini, I think their gimmick was they were bald.

Not just bald... bald TWINS!

Bald TWINS who used Simon Dean's patented Simon System.

I agree with Ian about there being nothing wrong with the Body Donnas, Smoking Gunns or Kronic. I can see why people maybe didn't like their matches (Kronic definitely seem to be a love them or hate them type team) but in terms of "Worst Gimmick" (which is all this thread is about) there is no chance compared to some of the other stuff they've done before/since.

Never had a problem with any of them. You could argue the Donnas gimmick was a few years too late/early (sandwiched between the 1980s aerobic boom and the late 90s/early 2000 fitness boom) but the actual idea of an annoying fitness instructor isn't the worst thing a booking committee could come up with. Was talking about that recently in the Simon Dean thread, actually:

http://ukff.com/index.php?s=&showtopic...t&p=2266527

You misspelled "chauvinist".

Anyway, Simon Dean was pretty damn funny. I loved it when he offered Batista one of his protein shakes.

Simon Dean's finest moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foy-rutOsiU

Really liked the way they introduced him with the sponsorship deals, etc. Wish they'd put that kind of effort into more new characters when they bring them in. Good gimmick, maybe a couple of years too late (although I've thought that with 99% of wrestling gimmicks ever). Its something I'd thought about before and actually a gimmick someone had suggested to me in the gym back in 2000 (completely oblivious to the fact that anyone had ever done a fitness gimmick in wrestling). I remember in the late 90s reading about the fitness industry boom, just looking at the number of products as well as all those infomercial things you would get after Raw/Sky Sports finished and just thinking some kind of overenthusiastic fitness instructor/motivational speaker (which they did do with DDP a few years later) gimmick could take off. Sure when I first got fulltime internet access I remember a few people online making a similar point re. The Body Donnas would be the biggest heels going in WWF/WCW nowdays (meaning then) or to put it another way that they would have worked better in '99 WCW than '95 WWF if they went for the more 'realistic' smarmy aspect of the character rather than the 1980s aerobic instructor thing they were doing ten years too late. Obviously WWF had the same idea when Muffy turned up in 2000 (plus the rumours about Scott Vick and Joe E. Legend becoming a new/updated version of The Donnas) but it never went anywhere. So was a bit surprised when it finally did happen in the mid-2000s.

Gunns in retrospect where just pretty standard wrestling character (good-looking athletic Texans who wear cowboy hats) that has been around as long as wrestling has, only thing specific in this case trying to cash in on the renewed popularity of Westerns in the early 1990s. Even Shawn Michaels character is something of a derivative from that same gimmick. That said, at the time I did think it was McMahon trying to create his own version of 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes (who was pretty over for the competition back then) or The Wild Eyed Southern Boys/Young Pistols, in terms of pretty boy Southerner tag team with a truck load of team moves, right down to a similar name but never really thought of that as a bad thing per se. Looking back on it now, the cap guns were possibly a bit too much.

Kronic's 'gimmick' was basically that they were big guys who liked to fight. I don't see the problem with that. About the only thing I can think of is that I know some people didn't like their hairstyles/look thought was too 1980s but again I wouldn't consider that to be their 'gimmick'. So I'm interested to hear what people disliked about their characters.

Believe it or not, i fucking hated the Bushwackers as a kid, i couldn't stand them and have no fond memories, other than a match they had with the The Fabulous Rougeaus

check grab my balls at 3.28. (its a safe youtube link, dont worry).

I believe you. IIRC a lot of people here hated The Bushwackers when they were kids/teens/whatever. However they were over, played the gimmick well, knew how to get a reaction from the crowd, people still remember them and they got a years long run out of it so no way was that the worst gimmick for a tag team.

The babyface version of The Godwinns are a much worse example of a similar thing because it was an example of them trying to repeat what worked in the mid to late 80s (when Hillbillies were all the rage in WWF) in the mid-90s and they never really caught on the way those previous 'simple-but-likeable' redneck gimmicks. The Bushwackers were sort of the Antipodean version of the same act but they were over and (equally importantly) they seemed to know what they were doing with it. It wasn't just that they lucked into the (admittedly annoying) comedy gimmick, they actually seemed to understand how to get it over.

Back in WCW, Slazenger/Pierce were class. Even Henry Godwinn as 300lbs Hogfarmer/super-stiff solo heel mercenary who gets paid off by DiBiase to soften up guys like Undertaker and Diesel before their PPV matches with Corporation members and gets to hit face-first powerbombs on people was alright. Babyface Godwinns were some of the worst stuff I've seen. Whilst I personally liked Southern Justice I also think by the time they turned heel it was too late (and already had the reputation as the "boring" bit in the show where you flicked over to Nitro) and that was all down to the fact they played the ill-suited babyface gimmick for so long.

I also didnt like the new and improved rockers, it was before i knew who Al Snow was and i just couldnt understand why Marty was now in a heel team that always got beat. I like the idea of the team now, just couldnt stand it then.

You can blame Shawn Michaels for that. The reason they were put together was because WWF (correctly) felt that the tag team division was weak and there weren't any top teams behind The Gunns so they just decided to take two of the guys who were regarded at the time as two of the better workers and just stick them together with the original idea for them being a straight up babyface team. The rumour at the time (which Snow and possibly even Jannetty have both since confirmed) was that they were originally being supposed to play the 'New Rockers' gimmick straight, but Shawn Michaels insisted on them being treated a comedy team which pretty much signaled their doom. Not saying they would have surpassed the originals or anything but given Jannetty was very over in that period as an old school babyface (the type of guy who it doesn't matter if he wins or loses) it would have at least given The Gunns someone to have decent matches against when they turned heel and maybe given Snow the chance to shine earlier than he got. It's funny how their best matches from that period were probably their singles matches against Michaels instead of anything they did as a team.

I think it's an, erm, toss-up between The Dicks and The Johnsons.

I liked Well Dunn/Southern Rockers but I don't actually remember what their gimmick was in WWE? I remember their matches and enjoying them as a JTTS heel team but I legit don't remember if they did any skits with them, etc. What did they do character-wise and why did it suck?

M.O.M. are a bit like The Godwinns in that they might have worked/fit into WWF just five years earlier but they came at a time it seemed a lot of the fans had already started rejecting a lot of the late 80s style gimmicks. In fairness to them, I also don't think it helped that Raw was being held in "a toilet" (in Mean Gene's words) full of drunken 25-35 year old Bret Hart fanatics who even booed Hogan that year. But in general your twelve year old Hulkamania Fan from 1985 was now twenty one, which is really how something like ECW was able to get as big as it did around that time with North Eastern (WWF) fans who'd grown tired of the WWF's direction wanting something a bit 'edgier' which is also something Eric Bischoff (for all his faults) realised sooner than later (and something it took WWF a few years to catch up on). Really poor old M.O.M. were led out there like lambs to the slaughter with the creative handicaps WWF gave them that Reznor mentioned.

I liked Well Dunn/Southern Rockers but I don't actually remember what their gimmick was in WWE? I remember their matches and enjoying them as a JTTS heel team but I legit don't remember if they did any skits with them, etc. What did they do character-wise and why did it suck?

M.O.M. are a bit like The Godwinns in that they might have worked/fit into WWF just five years earlier but they came at a time it seemed a lot of the fans had already started rejecting a lot of the late 80s style gimmicks. In fairness to them, I also don't think it helped that Raw was being held in "a toilet" (in Mean Gene's words) full of drunken 25-35 year old Bret Hart fanatics who even booed Hogan that year. But in general your twelve year old Hulkamania Fan from 1985 was now twenty one, which is really how something like ECW was able to get as big as it did around that time with North Eastern (WWF) fans who'd grown tired of the WWF's direction wanting something a bit 'edgier' which is also something Eric Bischoff (for all his faults) realised sooner than later (and something it took WWF a few years to catch up on). Really poor old M.O.M. were led out there like lambs to the slaughter with the creative handicaps WWF gave them that Reznor mentioned.

Southern Rockers were good and in my opinion if they had carried that sort of role in the WWF then they may have done very well. For me the whole Well Dunn gimmick summed up the WWF at that time. Their outfits were awful, with those horrible male thongs over their singlets. I seem to remember the promos were annoying also, although I have not been able to find any on you tube to confirm.

Check out the Video form Superstars 1994 to see the horrible outfits!

What are people's thoughts on the Jesse and Festus gimmick? That seems one that might've worked a lot better in another era.

I actually really liked their entrance music, it was sort of a 90s style entrance theme though I suppose. As for them as workers, they were both really bland in my book, but probably could have got a 2 or 3 year run back in the mid 90's with Festus' mental gimmick thing he had going on, I'm sure it wouldn't have looked out of place. It was a bit of weak gimmick in modern day WWE and no-one really gets behind tag teams now anyway, so they never really stood a chance in the long run.

Archived